Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012
Captain

Night_Sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Finding free anchorages on East Coast?

I am frequently shocked by the lack of experience people have with anchoring. I taught one couple how to anchor and recommended they practice frequently--every time they went out. When asked back about a year later to teach another lesson, I asked how many times they anchored, "not very much." When was the last time? "With you." The sum total of their anchoring experience was one time with me supervising.

I like anchoring in a river with two anchors, it is a great method.

I am not sure if people think it is scary, perhaps it is. I think people that are not secure or confident feel better tied up to a dock.

As for me, boats are so expensive, I avoid marinas and docks. I'd rather anchor out. I am not into going out to eat or drinking, I'd just as soon be on the boat in a pretty spot with good company, cooking my own food. entertainment for me, is sailing around the harbor in dinghy looking at the other boats and meeting other sailors...

At some point I will cut the cord completely and live on my boat. I plan to take mine to the Caribbean this year, whether the boat is ready or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG 100 Ton Master
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2012
Captain

The best spot is that moveable seawall down in Stamford. Where I was the docks started floating off the tops of the piles, and I was in a protected area. My dock was and still is damaged.

Where are you located? My boat is in Bridgeport.

USCG 100 Ton Master
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
Old 05-28-2012

norsearayder is on a distinguished road

what do tou mean night sailor? in usa you can travel where you want and anchor where you want and no permits or zarpe or float plans do what you want just dont break the law!!
Old 05-28-2012
Captain

We are losing our freedom here bit by bit. Some places will not allow your to anchor, or you will need a lawyer to represent you if you want to fight it. Harbor cops are mostly fools with no boating experience. It is not uncommon to be hassled. Stopping for fuel some places want a landing fee. While is true they cannot make you pay, that is the next step. There is one fee or bill after another. You can avoid this by moving on, but it still happens. Bit by bit we lose our freedoms and only by fighting back can be stop it. It is the nature of bureaucracy, and now that times are tougher, cities, states, and the federal level each seeks to find new ways to charge people for what was once free.

USCG 100 Ton Master
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
Old 05-29-2012
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

While I'm here, note that Florida has five "Pilot Program" areas where the rules are different from the rest of the state, and from each other. This insanity will persist until 2014....long story, you can read more at Florida Anchoring Issues
Regarding Georgia, the only two problem areas are Little Mud River and Jekyll Creek. Go through at half tide rising and you'll have no problems with either, even with six feet of draft.
Most of the problems noted about the ICW are hysteria resulting from boaters not quite sure of the program. It's really an easy run, with lots of anchorages. Use the Kettlewell stripchart book, it's one of the best.

Cuba - Forbidden Paradise

Old 05-29-2012
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

night sailor - you said
Quote:
Stopping for fuel some places want a landing fee.
Where would that be? I'll see to it their name is publicized and let's see how long their business lasts. That's insanity.

Cuba - Forbidden Paradise

Old 06-19-2012
Kevin

paintpollz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Sailor View Post
We are losing our freedom here bit by bit. Some places will not allow your to anchor, or you will need a lawyer to represent you if you want to fight it. Harbor cops are mostly fools with no boating experience. It is not uncommon to be hassled. Stopping for fuel some places want a landing fee. While is true they cannot make you pay, that is the next step. There is one fee or bill after another. You can avoid this by moving on, but it still happens. Bit by bit we lose our freedoms and only by fighting back can be stop it. It is the nature of bureaucracy, and now that times are tougher, cities, states, and the federal level each seeks to find new ways to charge people for what was once free.
truth
canucksailorguy likes this.
Old 06-20-2012
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road

yes, easily done. Active Captain (online) and Skipper Bob (paper guide) are the best resources imho. Waterway guides good for marinas but not great for anchorages.
Old 06-25-2012

tomfl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailorguy View Post
While I'm here, note that Florida has five "Pilot Program" areas where the rules are different from the rest of the state, and from each other. This insanity will persist until 2014....long story, you can read more at Florida Anchoring Issues

SNIP
The Pilot Program is under review in some places and it is wise to check online for the latest updates.

I am not trying to defend this program but Florida, and other places as well, have a real problem with what by almost any definition are junk boats that are a real danger to navigation. There is also a problem with some folks who live on boats and abuse shore facilities.
Old 06-25-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I am not trying to defend this program but Florida, and other places as well, have a real problem with what by almost any definition are junk boats that are a real danger to navigation. There is also a problem with some folks who live on boats and abuse shore facilities.
True enough, but how about if the local authorities simply addressed ths problem boats and let the responsible ones continue to exercise their rights of free anchorage?

My suspicious mind thinks that the derelict vessel/irresponsible boater arguments are a smoke cover for developers and cash-strapped municipalities.

Tags
anchor , anchorges , east coast