SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Finding free anchorages on East Coast?

27K views 43 replies 20 participants last post by  canucksailorguy 
#1 ·
How hard is it to find decent, free anchorages as you sail up and down the East Coast, from Maine to Florida? Are all the decent anchorages taken up by moorings? Will we be able to find free places to anchor each night? We have a 38 ft sailboat that draws 5 feet.

Thank you

#8 ·
We are "cockpit potatoes" currently on our 20th transit on the US East Coast between Florida and Maine with no overnights, short hops offshore, ICW, sounds and rivers. As said above, there are plenty of good, easy and always free spots to anchor. It is necessary to do a little advanced planning in some areas like the New Jersey Coast or North Carolina between Cape Fear and Beaufort where there are fewer options, but there are always choices for easy days. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

#11 ·
Captain Force,

I'm heading south in October from Chesapeake Bay to the Florida Keys. Everyone tells me to bypass the Georgia segment of the ICW, claiming it has been sorely neglected and silted in heavily in many, many areas. Knowing you make the trip every year in your Morgan 41, I was wondering if you bypass Georgia, or make your way up the ICW? Bypassing Georgia, especially sailing singlehanded, means an old man will have to stay awake for more hours than I would like. I really value your input on this.

Thanks in advance,

Gary :cool:

#12 ·
I rarely go ashore, but enjoy the wilderness anchorages in Georgia at Herb River, Buckhead Creek, Teakettle, Duplin River, Fredericka (by the fort), Brickell, Cumberland Island (by Greyfield Manor)...and more. We've done some offshore segments as well, but we are true "cockpit potatoes" in no hurry and not likely to endure an "overnight".

#13 ·
Gary, I believe you'll be at the MYC rendezvous June 9? We'll bring our ICW charts & can talk about the spots Captain Force mentioned, and some others - we weathered a 5-day noreaster at Bryan Creek, and I love Jekyll Island - worth planning a layover day. I think Georgia has an undeseved bad rap among the seasonal commuters.

#15 ·
Just a quick reference back to the original post and looking for "free anchorages". I'm a little disturbed hearing this descriptor for anchorages. It opens the door to accepting the existence of anchorages that have a cost. Navigable waters in the US are all free for anchoring except within certain restricted areas where anchoring is not allowed. These include within channels, cable areas, port and military restricted locations, and established mooring fields, etc. Let's remain aware of our rights to free anchoring in US federal waters.

#17 · (Edited)
The mooring fields are all near the towns. There are plenty of great anchorages that are nearly unused. I find that most people are afraid to anchor alone. I picks spots away from other people and then I see them pull up and anchor near me--it is a safety in number sheep instinct.

Look for places a bit away from towns, docks and bars and you will find lots of anchorages. I've only gone to one place that was recommended to me that was bad holding. Use your own judgement and experience, and don't follow the pack. use your charts. Don't be afraid to pull and reset if you don't like the way the anchor sets.

#18 ·
John, a lot depends on what you call "decent". As you get into the Northeast you'll find many anchorages marked on the charts. A general anchorage means drop the hook, a special anchorage means it is probably a mooring field, you have to look closely to read the markings.

Any of the ICW guides (Craig Claiborne among them) should have sections detailing the anchorages, and reading ahead is often easier than trying to pull the information from charts.

Often the open achorages will have no shore access, or no facilities nearby, as you get into the Northeast. But if you've just looking to "park" and get some sleep, that's all you need.

Of course, if you are used to having the launch delivering fresh croissants and the morning newspaper by 7AM, "decent" may imply a higher standard. :)

#20 ·
Night_Sailor: I agree with the "sheep instinct". During the last hurricane here in the Northeast, most boat owners went to protected harbors during hurricanes. I kept asking why, but the best answer was that people tend to feel that there's safety in numbers, even when there isn't.

Being anchored with a good anchor (or 2) in a river away from hard objects was a much safer approach, but emotionally scarier for most people.

Tanksalot

#21 ·
I am frequently shocked by the lack of experience people have with anchoring. I taught one couple how to anchor and recommended they practice frequently--every time they went out. When asked back about a year later to teach another lesson, I asked how many times they anchored, "not very much." When was the last time? "With you." The sum total of their anchoring experience was one time with me supervising.

I like anchoring in a river with two anchors, it is a great method.

I am not sure if people think it is scary, perhaps it is. I think people that are not secure or confident feel better tied up to a dock.

As for me, boats are so expensive, I avoid marinas and docks. I'd rather anchor out. I am not into going out to eat or drinking, I'd just as soon be on the boat in a pretty spot with good company, cooking my own food. entertainment for me, is sailing around the harbor in dinghy looking at the other boats and meeting other sailors...

At some point I will cut the cord completely and live on my boat. I plan to take mine to the Caribbean this year, whether the boat is ready or not.

#24 ·
We are losing our freedom here bit by bit. Some places will not allow your to anchor, or you will need a lawyer to represent you if you want to fight it. Harbor cops are mostly fools with no boating experience. It is not uncommon to be hassled. Stopping for fuel some places want a landing fee. While is true they cannot make you pay, that is the next step. There is one fee or bill after another. You can avoid this by moving on, but it still happens. Bit by bit we lose our freedoms and only by fighting back can be stop it. It is the nature of bureaucracy, and now that times are tougher, cities, states, and the federal level each seeks to find new ways to charge people for what was once free.

#25 ·
While I'm here, note that Florida has five "Pilot Program" areas where the rules are different from the rest of the state, and from each other. This insanity will persist until 2014....long story, you can read more at Florida Anchoring Issues
Regarding Georgia, the only two problem areas are Little Mud River and Jekyll Creek. Go through at half tide rising and you'll have no problems with either, even with six feet of draft.
Most of the problems noted about the ICW are hysteria resulting from boaters not quite sure of the program. It's really an easy run, with lots of anchorages. Use the Kettlewell stripchart book, it's one of the best.

#29 ·
While I'm here, note that Florida has five "Pilot Program" areas where the rules are different from the rest of the state, and from each other. This insanity will persist until 2014....long story, you can read more at Florida Anchoring Issues

SNIP
The Pilot Program is under review in some places and it is wise to check online for the latest updates.

I am not trying to defend this program but Florida, and other places as well, have a real problem with what by almost any definition are junk boats that are a real danger to navigation. There is also a problem with some folks who live on boats and abuse shore facilities.

#32 ·
Thank you so much everyone, for the great feedback and advice! :)

I would have been back sooner to see the responses [lots of interest in this topic!], but I've been away in MD for 6 weeks looking for a liveaboard cruising boat for us. If any are interested, I just posted a question about our prospective boat [search 'blue water pearson 365'].

Again, a big thank you! Looks like there are plenty of places to anchor. Phew.

BTW - I started this thread because someone told me I'd have a hard time finding good anchorages that were not already taken up by moorings.

Happy sailing!

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.