Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Good sleeping bag for sailing

Herve, "warm" is a relative concept. I'd agree with fleece being the best thing on a boat. Down is useless when wet, and the fiberfill type bags also keep and hold a lot of moisture. If fleece will do the job, use it. Two or three layers, or a bag topped with a blanket, and you've got a lot of flexibility. Easy to wash, easy to dry.

If it needs to be waterproof, look for military surplus GoreTex "bivvy sacks" or "ECW" extreme cold weather shells. The shells are sold separately, bags with waterproof outer layers are still somewhat rare and expensive. And as noted, not always a good idea unless you really need them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

A key is to select a bag appropriate for the temperature range. Someone mentioned a -40 bag. That is appropriate for winter camping, not boating. Mine is 0 /-10 C bag. being too warm and sweaty is worse than being slightly cool IMHO.

I also sleep in a few clothes as possible - usually just a t-shirt and undies. ( I usually sleep in the saloon - not privacy.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 05-27-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

I agree with what most people here have said. Waterproof is more trouble than it's worth, and expensive on top of that. Synthetic is warm when wet and dries quickly. You can't really beat that. Get a simple synthetic bag for $10-$30. If you have some specific requirement you didn't mention consider, as others have mentioned, a separate bivy sack.

Personally, I keep a couple cheapo bags, two solid wool blankets and two of these (large). Although I spend far to few nights using them.
Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillow at REI.com
Old 05-27-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

What's a comforter ?

Quilt, Eiderdown, Doona type of thing ?

I've only just got used to thinking of a baby's dummy as a comforter ... now you get me all confuse again.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-27-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road

I usually use blankets. But always keep a sleeping bag around because they are handy. synthetic for quick dry. and can be extra padding. I sleep on top in the summer.
Old 05-27-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Tdw, yeah, that's it, a comforter is a lot like a big giant baby nappy without the mess. In the U.S. "comforter" is a marketing word for a big puffy blanket that goes on top of the bed, the top layer, the soft layer that usually matches the pillow cases.

Edit - usually sold in the U.S. as a "bed in a bag", which is the comforter, the pillow cases or shams, and sometimes sheets too, for men who can't match things, sort of like garanimals.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 05-27-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 05-27-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Buy a decent backpacking one right now(if you want a winter weight) or wait until the end of summer(if you want a summer weight). Doing this you can often get an excellent bag for well below your budget, without resorting to big bulky, slow drying old style synthetics.
Rei-outlet, steep and cheap, moose-jaw, sierra trading etc all offer heavy discounts too. Shop around, buy offseason. Brands like North Face, Marmot etc are great. I'd stay away from waterproof bags, though I don't mind a DWR coating(water repellent) on the outside for mild dew if I'm planning to sleep outside in it. water proof keeps more water in.

EDIT: Fleece vs a good synthetic bag, it depends on the quality and thickness of both to create the same amount of warmth.

Fleece takes more storage space, and may not dry much faster for the same level of warmth and comfort if you are going to get a decent quality sleeping bag, price is similar for a given level of warmth too.

My good synthetic bag is dry in an hour or two hung on a branch, the strands inside are individually water repellent, so water goes out easily.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 05-27-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-28-2012

Night_Sailor is on a distinguished road

I rarely use one on board. I use blankets. I like down. I try to dry things out whenever possible. I can see the point in having a goretex sheet with some weights sewn in. I like to sleep on deck in the caribbean and occassionaly get caught in the rain.

One time racing down there, everyone was fighting for bunks down below. With a huge crew I announced I was sleeping on deck and made a bed up there. Not long afterwards someone came up and woke me up asking for bits of my bedding to make a bed on deck. "No you can't have my pillow or pads!" I took a chance that it would not rain and was lucky it did not. I slept great and could feel the heat and humidity below decks coming out the companionway. People below must have been sweating bullets all night.

Still, I can see how a light rain sheet would be nice to have--even below if there are deck leaks.
Old 05-31-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i donot use sleeping bags. boat is my year round home-- i use regular sheets in summer and add down quilts in winter. no problem. has been so since 1990.
Capt.aaron likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 05-31-2012

Night_Sailor is on a distinguished road

I may know your from the ASA forums ten years back. Are you the Seahag living down in the Annapolis area? I recall you had a wooden boat and were one of those guaranteed a spot in heaven for all the vanishing you have done. Off the dock, you also had an interesting way to ...I better not say...

Tags
sleep , sleeping