Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Good sleeping bag for sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i donot use sleeping bags. boat is my year round home-- i use regular sheets in summer and add down quilts in winter. no problem. has been so since 1990.
Me to, cotton sheets are cool in the tropics. I keep a few spares to change out on voyages as needed. Wool blanket for cool nights. Living on board since '78.
zeehag likes this.
Old 05-31-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Sailor View Post
I may know your from the ASA forums ten years back. Are you the Seahag living down in the Annapolis area? I recall you had a wooden boat and were one of those guaranteed a spot in heaven for all the vanishing you have done. Off the dock, you also had an interesting way to ...I better not say...
i am not from annapolis. i am not sea hag--i am zeehag...i learned NOT from asa, but the correct way, in my opinion--from an ancient mariner old salt who sailed tallships and who taught us apprentice style on his antique registered historic treasure of a gaff rigged sloop in upstate ny looooong ago--prolly before ye were born. his grandfather, my great grandfather founded half of chicago and the great lakes shipping company. i got no wooden boat --i has a formosa and an ericson, been selling ericson for 5 yrs--lol....but i am different.....
and i flat REFUSE to varnish any6 of my 110 ft of cap.taff rail. i keep it salt water trated nd beautiful. takes me 6 hours per year, and i sail.
been on west coast since 1973......sailed gulf of mexico near year, carib one month, and for a yr have sailed from san diego to l cruz de huanacxtle, nayarit, mexico.....might be a different person ...LOL
i might be cuter.......LOL
and i am gonna go to heaven, but not for varnishing-- because i did my stint as rn in intensive care, emergency and pacu for 30+ YRS.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough
Bag

• Synthetic
  • No Cotton
  • No Down
  • Temp rating for when/where your going to use.
  • Full Length zip - In case you get hot you can peel open all the way.
  • Shape - your preference, but make sure it is long enough to cover shoulders

We have two semi-mummy bags. (REI and Sierra Designs) both can go to about 20 deg F, but they are a little warm for us in the high summer nights. I'd go with a 30/35 deg F bag for a boat specific bag, but I use these also for 3-season camping.

Get ones with a stuff sack. You can stuff the sack with clothes and use it as a pillow.

DrB
jackdale likes this.
Old 05-31-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Guess it depends om where your sailing, I have to sleep sleep on top of the sheets in cotton shorts with a fan bolwing on me most night's. A synthetic mummy bag would turn in to a soggy sweaty sponge down here and I'd most certainly get a rash from the synthetics on bare sweaty skin.
Old 05-31-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

cp5t aaron--with ye on that one-

- i dont camp out on sea--i LIVE on it..lol
Capt.aaron likes this.

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

Old 06-01-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Re: Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
  • Synthetic
  • No Cotton
  • No Down
  • Temp rating for when/where your going to use.
  • Full Length zip - In case you get hot you can peel open all the way.
  • Shape - your preference, but make sure it is long enough to cover shoulders

We have two semi-mummy bags. (REI and Sierra Designs) both can go to about 20 deg F, but they are a little warm for us in the high summer nights. I'd go with a 30/35 deg F bag for a boat specific bag, but I use these also for 3-season camping.

Get ones with a stuff sack. You can stuff the sack with clothes and use it as a pillow.

DrB
Do you use a sack stuffed with clothes as a pillow at your house in the suburbs to get that all important, much needed sleep? If you don't sleep well you'll be groggy, if your groggy you'll make a mistake. Very little room for error out here. last time I ran aground was because I was tired and complacent ( 2 months ago)
I hadn't slept well because the boat I was delivering had a skinny little bunk made for sitting not sleeping and I was using a spinnaker bag as a pillow. Miss read a marker at night entering the notorious N.W. channel in K.W. ( a channel I know like my pocket) and hit the mud. Cumfy pillow and cotton sheets! mummy bags and bivy sacks are for mountain sides. Boats have bunks.( and they should be wider than 18 inches!)
zeehag likes this.
Old 06-04-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Do you use a sack stuffed with clothes as a pillow at your house in the suburbs to get that all important, much needed sleep? If you don't sleep well you'll be groggy, if your groggy you'll make a mistake. Very little room for error out here. last time I ran aground was because I was tired and complacent ( 2 months ago)
I hadn't slept well because the boat I was delivering had a skinny little bunk made for sitting not sleeping and I was using a spinnaker bag as a pillow. Miss read a marker at night entering the notorious N.W. channel in K.W. ( a channel I know like my pocket) and hit the mud. Cumfy pillow and cotton sheets! mummy bags and bivy sacks are for mountain sides. Boats have bunks.( and they should be wider than 18 inches!)
Different strokes for different situations I guess.
I can't stand pillows most of the time. Never get a good night's sleep and my neck kills me in the morning. I always wake up with cold feet out the bottom of the blanket too. Much prefer my down bag in the house. In the house I use it turned inside out and unzipped, with my feet stuck in the footbox and the rest as a blanket essentially.(the outside was a softer silk like shell, inside is tougher).
Doesn't go over so well when I've got company but whenever I'm single I sleep this way. Enough blankets to be warm in many houses I've lived in was a problem to keep the layers all even, a sleeping bag was light, comfortable and snug. I wouldn't want one in Mexico, but here it makes good sense.
Old style cotton+down bags are great in the house too, but a fast drying synthetic is very comfortable outdoors, like in the cockpit. I will certainly have a nice bag or two on board.

A good sleeping bag should be very comfortable, just as a good bed should be. A cheap walmart sleeping bag is about as comfortable as a cheap wal-mart bed.
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 06-04-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Well, here comes the discenting opinion.

Take a peek:

Three days at sea on this one. Gulf in the middle of winter and turned out to be a wonderful storm (not squall) for about two days. Sleeping down below would be wonderful, but was not a reality. THe sea spray and water was constantly dripping on us. BTW, you are looking at the bow pointing into the base of an approaching wave to give you some idea.

I would ideally have two bags, a cheap ole walmart cotton bag and a Northface water resistant mummy bag. You can cool down a low temp sleeping bag by putting sheets inside it (I know, breaks logic, but it works). Unzip it from the feet up if you need to. Before sailing, I deep woods backpacked all over the country and part of Canada for most of my childhood-low twenties. I would not get a large bag for the cockpit except in dry weather because it overhangs into the floor and soaks up water. Nothing more miserable than being wet and cold. Happened to us on two separate times.

It was mentioned to get the bag to fit your temps. Totally agree. Even with my trick, you can overheat in a mummy bag that is way off.

Also, the bags slip and slide on the cockpit floor and on the cockpit. You will want a way to secure yourself to the compression post (when it get really nasty, I actually sleep in the floor by the compresoin post) down below or think about how you will stay in your seat top side. Honestly, we never found anything that worked great.

Those fleece pullovers are awesome that you see in the pic above. The hold together nice and wash up easy. But when it gets below about 40ish, they are not worth a lot, especially at sea unless down below.

We kept one set for top side and one for down below. Salt spray gets into everything and it never dries. Another reason to carry two separate bags or clothing.

Get a few wool caps. They are life savers.

Just a bunch of my opinions. Everyone can dissagree. But these are what have worked for us.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-05-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Of what Gulf do you speak?

Winter in the Gulf Islands requires a nice bag.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 06-05-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

We bought Marmot synthetic bags from Campmor.com off season as described above, only about twice what you'd pay for crap at walmart and they're flawless. We don't sleep in them much, we're part of the nice sheets and blankets crowd. Nothing feels better than a good shower and clean dry sheets after a passage.

Tags
sleep , sleeping

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.