Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Different strokes for different situations I guess.
I can't stand pillows most of the time. Never get a good night's sleep and my neck kills me in the morning. I always wake up with cold feet out the bottom of the blanket too. Much prefer my down bag in the house. In the house I use it turned inside out and unzipped, with my feet stuck in the footbox and the rest as a blanket essentially.(the outside was a softer silk like shell, inside is tougher).
Doesn't go over so well when I've got company but whenever I'm single I sleep this way. Enough blankets to be warm in many houses I've lived in was a problem to keep the layers all even, a sleeping bag was light, comfortable and snug. I wouldn't want one in Mexico, but here it makes good sense.
Old style cotton+down bags are great in the house too, but a fast drying synthetic is very comfortable outdoors, like in the cockpit. I will certainly have a nice bag or two on board.

A good sleeping bag should be very comfortable, just as a good bed should be. A cheap walmart sleeping bag is about as comfortable as a cheap wal-mart bed.
I see what Y'all mean. I've never done any cold ocean sailing. I'm a spoiled tropical boat bum. I do see Alaska in my near future for tug boat work however and will head your advice. A light weight, synth, mummy bag with a non-skid bottom.
Old 06-05-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Good sleeping bag for sailing

Never understood the anti-down segment. I guess we are just rebels. In the summer we use a down comforter on the boat with a cotton duvet cover. VERY, VERY comfortable and never an ounce of issue with dampness or moisture and we sail in FOGGY, DAMP Maine..

In the off season the v-berth gets a heavier weight down comforter and the quarterberth gets a 20f 800 fill down bag..

Have hundreds of nights mountaineering & winter mountaineering in down too and never once had a "wetness" issue. I guess its all in how you use your gear..

This is Mount Washington, NH at/above tree line in, February. The overnight temps hit -18F that night and winds were blowing over 50 knots....... Two 800 fill down bags and we were warm & toasty. You could not pay me to use a synthetic bag in those temps or conditions or on our boat...... I love my down...

These were not yet "lofted" because they had just come out of the compression sacks but when lofted they puff to over 10" of fill....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 06-05-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Never understood the anti-down segment. I guess we are just rebels. In the summer we use a down comforter on the boat with a cotton duvet cover. VERY, VERY comfortable and never an ounce of issue with dampness or moisture and we sail in FOGGY, DAMP Maine..

In the off season the v-berth gets a heavier weight down comforter and the quarterberth gets a 20f 800 fill down bag..

Have hundreds of nights mountaineering & winter mountaineering in down too and never once had a "wetness" issue. I guess its all in how you use your gear..

This is Mount Washington, NH at/above tree line in, February. The overnight temps hit -18F that night and winds were blowing over 50 knots....... Two 800 fill down bags and we were warm & toasty. You could not pay me to use a synthetic bag in those temps or conditions or on our boat...... I love my down...

These were not yet "lofted" because they had just come out of the compression sacks but when lofted they puff to over 10" of fill....
Right tool for the right job. I love my down bag, cold and dry or lightweight camping. Don't love it in the damp. A really good synthetic I don't mind in the damp nearly as much.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 06-10-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: added closing quote tag
Old 06-10-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Maine, is your North Face very old? I thought they were just into making "Urban Ghetto StyleGear" these days, they aren't who they used to be. And 800 fill...IIRC anything over 600 is measured with a rubber ruler. I bought a nice pair of zip-leg pants from them a couple of yearrs ago, ordered another pair a year later, same model, same name, and found they'd cut the pockets from 9" to 4" deep, someone in China found a way to knock ten bucks off their cost, I'm sure. Still LOOK good...but they're now in the fashion market, not mountaineering, said to say.

But even the down makers, the best of the down makes, all say once it gets wet you are screwed. It will have no warmth and take forever to dry. So I love my down, especially my down parka with the goer-tex shell. I've got the remnants of an old double-shell (two quilted shells) arctic expedition parka that I call my Florida Coat because when I'm in it, I'm in warm sunny florida and can't understand why anyone else is having a problem. But I won't take that out in the rain, much less in spray. It's worthless when wet, and yes, it is prime goose down, zero feathers, vintage from when...oh wait, you can't buy that stuff almost anywhere these days anyhow. I think "Feathered Friends" in Seattle is about the last place on earth selling real down expeditionware. (And we talk about marine chandleries being pricey, haha.)
Old 06-10-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

Well,
I am not used to very cold areas. I use a sleeping bag which unzips to be a 'doona'

In the old days and [used only a few years ago], if you are freezing, wrap yourself in a few folds of the spinnaker - more if need be. It will work better than a space blanket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Maine, is your North Face very old?
Not my NF bag it is my brother in laws and yes it is from their good era. My bag is made by Western Mountaineering.

Quote:
I thought they were just into making "Urban Ghetto StyleGear" these days, they aren't who they used to be.
They are "these days". That Bibler Fitzroy tent was sewn by Todd Bibler himself long before Black Diamond bought his company. It's a "Bibler". The TNF bag is fro the good days of TNF...

Quote:
And 800 fill...IIRC anything over 600 is measured with a rubber ruler.
Not at all.. 800 fill down is real and very expensive. Even though that TNF bag is fro the good days of TNF I bet it is 750 fill at best. My WM bag is definitely 800 fill.... My wife's friend is a partner of a company called Cuddle Down here in Maine. They have a nice display of the differnt lofts and grades of down. Simple clear 10" diameter tubes all with the same physical weight of down. The 800 fill has HUGE loft.

Quote:
I bought a nice pair of zip-leg pants from them a couple of yearrs ago, ordered another pair a year later, same model, same name, and found they'd cut the pockets from 9" to 4" deep, someone in China found a way to knock ten bucks off their cost, I'm sure. Still LOOK good...but they're now in the fashion market, not mountaineering, said to say.
I live ten minutes from a TNF and a Patagonia outlet. They BOTH sell junk these days. My old "summit" parka from TNF you could not pry from my dead fingers but the current model of that down sweater is the biggest POS I have ever seen. Mine stuffs down to the size of a Nalgene bottle, weighs nothing and keeps me toasty in temps down to -35F....

Quote:
But even the down makers, the best of the down makes, all say once it gets wet you are screwed. It will have no warmth and take forever to dry.
Yep so you don't get it wet. Been using it now for 35 years and never had that happen. Talking hundreds and hundreds of nights lots of them in winter which is generally when I start hiking. I don't really like it in the summer cause I'm sailing... .. I just really, really dislike synthetics and have tried them all.

Quote:
So I love my down, especially my down parka with the goer-tex shell. I've got the remnants of an old double-shell (two quilted shells) arctic expedition parka that I call my Florida Coat because when I'm in it, I'm in warm sunny florida and can't understand why anyone else is having a problem. But I won't take that out in the rain, much less in spray. It's worthless when wet, and yes, it is prime goose down, zero feathers, vintage from when...oh wait, you can't buy that stuff almost anywhere these days anyhow. I think "Feathered Friends" in Seattle is about the last place on earth selling real down expeditionware. (And we talk about marine chandleries being pricey, haha.)
Good mountaineering gear is pricey but worth it. I have a pair of Feathered Friends Gore-Tex down muklucks. They have saved my toes from possible amputation a few times.. The Koflachs are good when moving but when you stop they are darn cold even with VBL's. I have used my down in rainy, windy and snowy and icy conditions for many years but I'm not sloppy with it. If there is a potential for it to get wet It goes into my Bibler bivy that I always carry. The compression sack it is carried in is also waterproof. I kayaked the entire Maine Island Trail in 1992 with a 20 degree down bag in a 18' Current Designs sea kayak. Never once slept is an uncomfortable or wet bag and it was over 40 total nights from start to finish.....

Of our 10 or so bags we do have one synthetic bag and that's for the dogs....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-11-2012
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I think it is interesting that in 2 weeks and 4 pages of posts the originator has not come back. Perhaps a bot? after all it asked basically a camping question on a sailing site.
Old 06-11-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Good sleeping bag for sailing

Down's strength is its warmth to weight ratio and ability to pack into tiny places. I have a 20 degree down hiking bag thats the size of a football when packed. But you just don't need that on a boat, so why bother with its downsides?
Jgbrown likes this.
Old 06-26-2012

tomfl is on a distinguished road

I use my camping stuff and have been happy with it. Here are a few considerations not yet mentioned.

Sleeping bag temperature ratings in the US are basically a crap shoot. Even with the top tier brands there is no real apples to apples way to compare different brands. The European system is much better.

Which brings up another issue not yet covered. The European testing assumes the person in the sleeping bag is nude, and this is the way you stay warmest in a sleeping bag. However if you are going to wear clothes you need to wear all synthetic tights to maximize heat retention. This also reduces wear and tear on the bag.

Another thing to keep in mind is that even the best sleeping bag will perform much better if it is on some type of pad, not to mention added comfort for the person sleeping in it. There are several types of pads, starting with the simple foam rubber ones, then self inflating, and then the ones you have to inflate. They all have trade offs.

If I am dealing with very cold weather I sleep in full length UA tights in a HardWarz bag on a Big Agnes or ThermoRest pad. There are other good choices but this is what I would describe as a middle of the road option if you want bang for your buck.
Old 06-26-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
If I am dealing with very cold weather I sleep in full length UA tights in a HardWarz bag on a Big Agnes or ThermoRest pad. There are other good choices but this is what I would describe as a middle of the road option if you want bang for your buck.
I've done a bit of backpacking and my favourite combination is a thin Thermarest pad on the ground to insulate from the cold, then the inflatable Big Agnes on top. Together they're about 3.5 inches thick, nice and warm, and weigh about 3 lbs together.

Tags
sleep , sleeping

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.