SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Good sleeping bag for sailing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/87834-good-sleeping-bag-sailing.html)

paranoia25 05-26-2012 07:20 AM

Good sleeping bag for sailing

Hi everybody,

I'm looking a good sleeping bag for sailing: warm and waterproof. I found this one: Ocean Sleepwear, which seems great, but it's very expensive (375 $)!
Did you know some sleeping with a good value for money (not over 190$)?

Thanks a lot!

Herve Guillaume

PBzeer 05-26-2012 08:19 AM

Re: Good sleeping bag for sailing

Lot depends on where you need it for. I have a fleece sleeping bag that I bought at Walmart for 10 bucks. I've used it in freezing temperatures (with a sheet inside, wearing socks, sweat shirt and pants) and stayed plenty warm. Moisture hasn't been a problem with it either. Not sure why you want a waterproof bag, unless you're sleeping in the cockpit in the rain.

Allen-deckard 05-26-2012 09:08 AM

Military surplus. I have mine still from gulf storm. Anyway good enough for millions of military good enough for me. :)

jackdale 05-26-2012 09:12 AM

This is what I use.

MEC Oasis Sleeping Bag 0/+10C - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

Quote:

Rated to 0 or +10C, depending on which side is on top.
Outer shell is made of micro-honeycomb polyester. Lining is nylon.
Insulated with Hyperloft Eco, with 50% recycled content.
Shingled construction for efficient warth on the thicker side. Offset quilt construction on the other side.
Foot oval keeps toes from crushing the insulation, and from getting chilled.
Draft tube keeps cool air out along the zipper.
Pad retention system keeps you from sliding off your mat in the night.
Drawcord with single-point adjustment.
Roll top stuff sack included.
I use a liner occasionally.

The bag is washable.

I slepp below so that is no need for being waterproof.

wind_magic 05-26-2012 04:03 PM

I had a Walmart sleeping bag that I liked, the key reasons I liked it was that it was roomy and also because it had a cloth exterior, I can't stand the nylon or whatever most shells are made of, I don't like the sound or the feel of it.

Since I could not replace that cloth sleeping bag, I moved to comforter and blankets and like that better. I do still have sleeping bags for sleeping in a tent and outdoors, but when sleeping on the boat, etc, I use a comforter and blankets. Lots of advantages to it - you can add blankets as it gets colder, easier to wash, I find the cloth much better than nylon, etc, and it is all less expensive than high end sleeping bags as well. Disadvantages too, of course, it takes up more room and is harder to transport, and others.

If you don't mind a little sewing, you can, of course, sew the edges of comforters and the like together and make your own, and I have considered doing that for various reasons.

Edit, I just re-read this thread and see that one of the requirements was water proof, and I assume that means water-resistance since not even the best sleeping bag is water proof. I can't help there - even outdoors I sleep under a tarp at a minimum, or sometimes under the sky if there is not going to be a frost or dew, but it is almost always under at least a tarp. Even in a tent, if it rains for a long enough period of time, I know eventually I'm going to be wet. I've had very little success with bivy's, too much condensation inside, I prefer tarps, and if I need something like a bivy because I get caught unawares I would rather just roll up in a plastic drop cloth or tarp and be done with it.

pdqaltair 05-26-2012 07:14 PM

Actually, dryable is what you want.

* Down really isn't, so scratch that.

* Goretex or other water resistant/waterproof covers may work for climbers needing something they can bivy in, but they slow drying and increase moisture build-up in the bag. The dew point will ALWAYS be somewhere within the insulation, no mater the claims of breathability. This is also true of clothing, which is why separate shell and insulation always make sense for multi-day wear. Scratch covers.

You just need a good quality backpacking bag with a wider cut and synthetic fill.

cupper3 05-26-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdqaltair (Post 875978)

* Goretex or other water resistant/waterproof covers may work for climbers needing something they can bivy in, but they slow drying and increase moisture build-up in the bag. The dew point will ALWAYS be somewhere within the insulation, no mater the claims of breathability. This is also true of clothing, which is why separate shell and insulation always make sense for multi-day wear. Scratch covers.

You just need a good quality backpacking bag with a wider cut and synthetic fill.

Ditto on the synthetic fill. Look for Hollofil or Quallofil.

LinekinBayCD 05-27-2012 07:17 AM

Ditto on the question about the need to be waterproof. I keep four LL Bean fleece bags on board. They can be used as bags or completely unzip to be used as a blanket. Easy to wash and dry. Like a fleece jacket perform even if they get a little wet. Can also be doubled when it's really cold. Don't typically have four sleeping on board

Maine Sail 05-27-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdqaltair (Post 875978)

Gore-Tex, Gore Dry-Loft etc. we're the biggest rip offs foisted onto the mountaineering community for sleeping bags. They actually made your bags insullation WETTER because after 9" of loft the moisture could not push through the membrane.. I am a down only guy but do bring it home to let fully dry every now and then. We only use "bags" in mid Oct through late Nov and mid April to early May. The rest of the season we use regular comforters... One of the down bags is still on the boat because our 5 year old likes to play Caterrpillar to butterfly in it.....

Anyone want a couple of -40f down Dry-Loft bags, used about three nights.....:)

I will say though that my Bibler Fitzroy single wall breathable tent performs better than any tent at any price, just does not translate well to bags......:D you can have my Dry-loft but don't touch my Bibler.....;)

MarkSF 05-27-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paranoia25 (Post 875839)
Hi everybody,

I'm looking a good sleeping bag for sailing: warm and waterproof. I found this one: Ocean Sleepwear, which seems great, but it's very expensive (375 $)!
Did you know some sleeping with a good value for money (not over 190$)?

Thanks a lot!

Herve Guillaume

I have a Kelty double wide sleeping bag. I find the single ones too confining. It's fabric lined, good for 20F, and will open out and be used as a quilt if you like. I use it for car camping too. At about 20lbs you wouln't want to take it backpacking ;)

As everyone else said, you don't need waterproof, you need quick drying. Any normal synthetic bag should do fine. (ie, the cheap ones)

I looked online and they don't seem to sell my Kelty any more. One consideration is temperature rating. My 20F bag is too warm unless it's really cold.