Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2004

rskaug is on a distinguished road
multi-hulls?

Is any one out there cruising on a multihull? I''ve never been on one so I''m wondering if the space,comfort and liveability are really as good as some claim. Are docking, mooring, haulouts a problem? Seaworthiness? I''d like to hear from anyone with an opinion. We are still a year or three from making a decision but I''m looking more and more seriously at a smaller catamaran. Thanks, Dick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2004

ncdd is on a distinguished road
multi-hulls?

We are very satisfied with our catamaran. Yes it has more room and yes it is as fast or faster than mono and it is very sea worthy. Docking is actually easier due the fact of the engines being so far apart, you can spin them in thier own loa. Don,t know about haul outs. Marina space has been no problem with a 22'' beam.
Good Luck
Old 01-05-2004

gunnyman is on a distinguished road
multi-hulls?

Dick I will try again as I lost the last reply I tried to send. Not cruising as of yet but switched from an S2 9.2C to an AmeriCAT 3014. Seem to think I have almost as much room on each side as i had in the the whole S2. Standing is limited only in the settee area so it is not much of a concern. 30feet long and 14 feet wide has not proved to be a problem at mooring or docking.Haulouts have been no problem as most places seem equipped to handle most any reasonable size. My wife was sold on cats after we chartered in the BVI. No heeling means a lot to her. She reluctantly drug me along to a cat. Am I happy? Yes without a doubt and doubt that I would ever go back to a mono hull. Not cruising yet but heading that way.Look at the AmeriCATS out there and the Endeavours. They will get you to thinking.Check out 2hulls.com as they provide a fantastic amount of info on these boats. As well as those faor sale! Good luck and see you out there.
Old 01-07-2004

catgirl is on a distinguished road
multi-hulls?

My husband and I have been catamaran owners for the past 5+ years, and all I can say is that I will never go back to a monohull (and never is a very long time). We lived aboard full time for about a year, during which we cruised to the Bahamas then up the ICW and spent the summer/fall seasons in the Chesapeake. Yes, the space, comfort and liveability are as good as it gets. I also agree with the previous post that docking is a breeze with wideset twin engines, and we have never had a problem with haulouts. Having said all this, we also found that we did not have the right cat for our needs once we moved aboard full time (we have no other home). So we sold the original cat and are awaiting completion of a new one. My best suggestion to you would be to charter a cat, or several different types, before making the leap. Also, you might want to read a few books like "Cruising on More than One Hull" to get a feel for the types of cats available and what would best suit your needs.
Feel free to contact me directly if you have more specific questions.
Good luck and fair winds.
Old 01-07-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
multi-hulls?

Dick, I''d like to revisit your question: you were placing the context of ''cruising'' on top of your question. The glowing answers so far address space, maneuverability under engine, and overall comfort when used in coastal environs or in quite limited offshore applications, which is what I think sailing to/in the Bahamas is. We don''t know if that''s what YOU mean by cruising...and that can make a big difference in the answers you deserve getting, so perhaps you should repost with your intended cruising plans.

I sail a monohull but surely have cruised with and shared many a port with a multihull. If coastal U.S. cruising is what you have in mind, then the main disadvantages I''ve seen (just to give some equal time to the positives posted) are:
- Dockage can be more expensive and/or harder to obtain as e.g. many marinas on the Chesapeake are older, have narrower slips. (Depends on the size of your multi).
- Hauling can be a problem, depending on the yard facilities available where you would prefer to haul OR where with sudden urgency you NEED to haul; again, depends on the multi
- For boats of comparable quality and capability, I think it''s fair to say multi''s are more expensive. If you think about it (2 engine installations; more volume to be embraced; more challenge in structural assembly since weight is more critical; etc.) that seems reasonable...but for you the question is whether that''s OK

But once the boat is taken away from the coast to distant shores - which is also cruising...and in fact what is usually imagined by folks when ''cruising'' is discussed - things can be very different. Just how safe it is at sea, how easy/hard it is to haul, how readily available a winter berth is, how readily it can get the job done in tough water, how comfortable it is...these and many more questions are more challenging to answer, the answers are less glowing, and the answers depend a great deal on the type of multi being discussed. As one simple example, we happened to be collocated with 18 other boats at Gun Cay who were hoping to cross the shallows of the GB Bank to the Berry''s and points east several years ago. We all left at midnight (timed for arrival over the reefs when exiting the Bank), just as a front began making its presence known. It ended up being a tough slog and it wasn''t fun for any of us who got to the far end...but not a single multi (of 10) were able to handle the short chop and headwinds. This doesn''t mean multis are uncapable boats generally, it means they have some weaknesses that can make longer distance passages more problematic. (You only have to agree to buddy boat with a multi for a period of time to begin understanding how contrained the crews feel).

I''d encourage you to repost and let''s see what you have in mind when asking your question.

Jack
Old 01-07-2004

Bruce_Olson is on a distinguished road
multi-hulls?

Catgirl

After years of chartering and looking at monohulls, last Summer we chartered a multihull (Moorings 4700) and subsequently purchased a Manta 40. I was wondering what made your first catamaran unsuitable for living aboard and what features you particularly looked for in the one you''re buying.

Thanks

Bruce
Old 01-07-2004

ncdd is on a distinguished road
multi-hulls?

We chartered a lot of different cats while deciding. We sailed every where from Australia, BVI, Belize and the Bahamas. And there were some we did not like! On the negative sides we found, some boats slam pretty hard going to weather, some had outboards which tend to cavitate (bummer), and nothing has the appearance of a nice Swan or HR all shined up and polished. But for us the comfort,sailability, and shallow draft of a cat were over whelming. They are , imho much easier to single hand. And don''t forget they will only sink to the bridge deck.There are a lot of cats on the charter circuit, so the question of hauling is not much of a problem anymore. And remember when something breaks generally speaking, you have another one ie. heads, engines!! If I can answer any questions feel free to e-mail
Old 01-08-2004

catgirl is on a distinguished road
multi-hulls?

Bruce,
While I don''t want to cast any aspersions on any particular cat, I will tell you that our original boat was a 36'' powered by 2 9.9 hp outboard engines. It was a galley down design. Because it was a northern boat, the 12 volt reefer had virtually no insulation and no way to install any. Consequently, the compressor ran almost 24/7 and ate power like you wouldn''t believe. We also became increasingly unhappy with the outboards, as they did not have the oomph we occasionally needed. Finally, my husband, the primary chef in the family, felt claustrophobic in the galley (I didn''t mind it). The punchline to all this? We also bought a Manta. How do you like it?
Old 01-08-2004

Bruceo1 is on a distinguished road
multi-hulls?

Catgirl

We''ve only owned our Manta for about three months and during most of that time, its been "on the hard". We''re really looking forward to getting to know the boat and sailing it on the Chesapeake next Summer. In 2005, the plan is to retire, sell the house, move onboard and take off. I think that it will be great for that. After a lot of monohulls that my wife compared to climbing into a dark cave, we really like the feel of the Manta.
Old 01-08-2004

rskaug is on a distinguished road
multi-hulls?

hey, thanks so much everyone for the input. Especially the suggested reading, catgirl. As to our plans Jack... we really won''t know until we get there. We plan to liveaboard/cruise for 10 to 15 years (partly to amortize the cost of the boat). I''m assuming that with that time allowance we are likely to want to get adventurous.

My thinking at the moment is that systems on even a 4-5 year old boat will not hold up for the time we expect to be on it, so our choices are new boat or older boat with a more or less complete refit.

I would say we are for sure will want a solid boat, but maybe a little more ''spartan''in the accomodations than most people find acceptable. (At present my wife are doing a 1-3 year ''circumnavigation'' of the US by bicycle, and we are very happy and comfortable with the amenities we carry on the bikes).

I have more to post but I think I will reread all of your thoughts and put it up later. Thanks again everyone!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.