Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Re: Where's Your Sextant?

The last time I used a sextant was in '75 along with dead reckoning and a radio direction finder. I ditched the sextant and the RDF about the same time I got rid of my slide rule and my Loran. I respect the history of these devices, but I know that they don't provide the efficiency or accuracy of more modern tools.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road

This is going to sound a bit elitest, but I long for the days when there were at least a few barriers to entry. Too many things are just too easy these days. GPS not only means that folks don't need to know celestial, but chartplotters have convinced lots of folks that they don't even need the basic skills of coastal navigation.

Ever wonder why powerboaters seem to be the most ignorant folks out there? Because there are no barriers to entry - just turn the key and go like a bat out of hell. At least sailors still need to know something about sail trim. But this wholesale surrender to technology is much the same - when even an idiot can do it, we will have an ocean full of idiots.
jimjazzdad likes this.
Old 06-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
This is going to sound a bit elitest, but I long for the days when there were at least a few barriers to entry. Too many things are just too easy these days..................................... when even an idiot can do it, we will have an ocean full of idiots.
- and there was the time when an educated person had to know Latin in order to read an academic text. I, too, would like to see fewer idiots on the water, but the solution will not come from holding back technology.
AKscooter likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2012

I'm not suggesting holding back technology. I am suggesting that technology (at the expense of actually knowing something) is not the only answer.
Old 06-05-2012

Quote:
I'm not suggesting holding back technology. I am suggesting that technology (at the expense of actually knowing something) is not the only answer.
We continue to see people with high tech chart plotters aground on the wrong side of clearly present channel markers. So, I'll stand with you in recognizing the problem. So, what is this other answer that you are proposing when you suggest that, "technology (at the expense of actually knowing something) is not the only answer." Are you advocating a restrictive test to allow someone to operate a boat? What answer do you have in mind? I'm sure you don't mean that people should be required to learn how to use a sextant before they are allowed to use a GPS. What's the other answer?

Old 06-05-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

In the garage somewhere, at least that's my last recollection.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
We continue to see people with high tech chart plotters aground on the wrong side of clearly present channel markers. So, I'll stand with you in recognizing the problem. So, what is this other answer that you are proposing when you suggest that, "technology (at the expense of actually knowing something) is not the only answer." Are you advocating a restrictive test to allow someone to operate a boat? What answer do you have in mind? I'm sure you don't mean that people should be required to learn how to use a sextant before they are allowed to use a GPS. What's the other answer?
Nope, I'm not advocating any such policies. I was only lamenting that the lack of any barrier to entry was increasing the percentage of idiots and suggesting therefore that such barriers have their benefits. If I'm advocating anything, I am advocating that everyone out there ought to have a reasonable handle on coastal navigation techniques. I'm also a firm believer that knowledge for the sake of knowing is a good thing and therefore learning celestial is a rewarding endeavor in and of itself. Nothing more.
Old 06-05-2012

Quote:
................ I am advocating that everyone out there ought to have a reasonable handle on coastal navigation techniques. I'm also a firm believer that knowledge for the sake of knowing is a good thing and therefore learning celestial is a rewarding endeavor in and of itself. Nothing more.
Yes, I'm still with you and I think most would agree that the knowledge is best, but you can't "rule out" ignorance.
sneuman likes this.

Old 06-05-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

I pulled it out of storage so I can use it's filters to watch the transit of Venus today .
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 06-05-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

In a cardboard box in the closet in the basement. The RDF is on my work bench since it functions as an AM radio. Actually used the RDF on the way to Fort Jefferson. I do have a certificate of sight reduction using the sun's lower limb. That class was 15 years ago. Dam time flies.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.