Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: When is it time ?

When you can't fit any more crap on the boat and won't take any more crap from your boss...
it's time to go.

When you run out of excuses NOT to...
it's time to go.

When you stop looking for excuses NOT to...
it's time to go.

The FIRST time your spouse says, "Y'know, I think we should give this cruising thing a shot..."
it's time to go.

Set a realistic line-cut date and STICK TO IT. Plan the schedule, work the plan and get it done. Treat it like the job it is.
Then retire.
travlineasy and AncientTech like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2012
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road

We made the decision and then did boat prep. Big factor we had to wait for a specific date to leave proffesion, then final preps kicked in. Weather (ie winter) finally pushed us south.
Even when cruising its easy to get trapped. We stopped in Marathon for two weeks and left 2 months later. Stopped in Emerald Bay for a 7 days and left 21 days later. But when your cruising who cares? Some get trapped permanently at a destination. Lot of nice destinations have one or two cruisers who get stuck for a year or two or.....
Old 06-21-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

I got stuck in New Zealand for a few years, then in Australia for two more, now in SE Asia for the past 3.5 years, hopefully next year I'll be stuck in Africa on an extended safari, then maybe get stuck in Brazil for Carnival for another year or two, then I'm sure the Caribbean will be another place that we will be stuck in. I love all these spots I get "stuck" in......
jerryrlitton and bljones like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 06-21-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
I got stuck in New Zealand for a few years, then in Australia for two more, now in SE Asia for the past 3.5 years, hopefully next year I'll be stuck in Africa on an extended safari, then maybe get stuck in Brazil for Carnival for another year or two, then I'm sure the Caribbean will be another place that we will be stuck in. I love all these spots I get "stuck" in......
^^^^ I like the way he rolls.

Old 08-07-2012

meljabro3 is on a distinguished road

We haven't set a date yet, but then again we bought the boat in Feb and became liveaboards at our marina in Charleston then. It was a great deal on a solid boat that needs work. My problem is we can't seem to start knocking out all the repairs. We're thinking about putting it on the hard in a month or so and knocking all the fixes out in a month or so. ..

It's hard to tear up your house and still live in it!
Old 08-07-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

lol----i tear up my home and repair it in exotic locales.....begin in one place and do that first then proceed to next job--do the things first that make the most destruction so is easier to do the rest--i did engine first then decks then interior...each place i stop now i do some other repair--sometimes structural sometimes superficial, but something is always done each stop....

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 08-07-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

We do not have a specific date although we will both need to give adequate notice to our employers. Our real goal is financial. We have a cruising budget and plan to leave once we accumulate enough to be out for years. As of today we are 2/3 there and expect to be tossing the lines April 2014.

The other goal is boat experience. Our 1997 Caliber was actively cruising when we bought her and could have gone cruising immediately. Except I did not know the boat and it's systems. I have done lots of work to make her the way I like and also add redundancy for many systems; engine, navigation, power, comfort, etc.

The last upgrade I anticipate is replacing the 2 AGM 8D batteries.

-----------------------------------------------------