SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Difference between alcohol & kerosene stove? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/88544-difference-between-alcohol-kerosene-stove.html)

UsailIbail! 06-12-2012 09:39 PM

Difference between alcohol & kerosene stove?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
I am starting a 9 year restoration of a steel yacht which currently has LPG fuel systems on board which I plan on discarding. I sailed for a few years with a wonderful European kerosene stove (which I am trying to find something similar). In my search, I have come across a handful of alcohol stoves. Do these stoves run on the same principal as kerosene and perhaps with only a change of jetting will work w/ kerosene? I don't want to be foolish with a conversion, but if it is a standard swap I will entertain the idea.

A used taylor cooker (030L) or something similar would be ideal. Any thoughts on an excellent model? I will make a purchase now if I find the right stove.

Also wondering about converting my LPG stove w/ Primus type burners. But that may be foolish.

Thanks.

Jay

WanderingStar 06-12-2012 09:51 PM

Re: Difference between alcohol & kerosene stove?

That is a beautiful boat.
I've never used either alcohol or kerosene stoves, but they must at least have different burners. Also you might have to change any gaskets if you switch fuels.
Tell us about the boat.

deniseO30 06-12-2012 09:58 PM

No reason to remove the lpg systems..if your scared of it make sure you have proper solenoid and sniffers in the system. In all cases you should have carbon monoxide detectors
9 years???? I should live so long!

interesting contrast in the photos.. wish you well!

Capt Len 06-12-2012 10:04 PM

I much prefer the kerosene primus type.over alcohol. If you've already learned the fine points of operation you are already ahead of the fleet. Safer too. Kerosene burners are cheap and available in India (internet) I preheat with a handheld propane torch to reduce the fumes. LPG is is so handy and effective though.

travlineasy 06-12-2012 10:15 PM

I found the alcohol stove I had, which was a bit different, was very efficient for cooking. It used cotton-wicked canisters, which provided an even flame and no possibility of a flareup or spill. The flame was regulated by a flat plate that snuffed out either a portion of the flame for lower heat, or covered the canister completely, which snuffed out the flame altogether. The cost of denatured alcohol, however, is pretty high.

Now I have LP, it's very safe when you have a solenoid and sniffer installed, as posted above. A 20-pound propane gas tank will last you most of a year if you're cooking on the stove-top several days a week. The LP gas oven consumes a lot more, but I don't know of an alcohol or kerosene oven.

I did a bit of research and found the old stove I had. It was made by Origo and gimbled. Here's a photo of the stove.

http://www.defender.com/large/400400_l.jpg

Good luck, and the restoration looks great,

Gary :cool:

Faster 06-12-2012 11:08 PM

We lived with a pressurized alcohol stove (similar in principle to kerosene - ie preheat/light/use) for 10 years or so. Finally switched to Propane and never looked back. Used with common sense, a good appliance and good practice it's quite safe. Aside from ease of lighting and faster cooking, the fumes and high cost of the proper fuel was a major PITA with the pressure alcohol.

We've sailed with friends who use the wick type alcohol stove like Gary posted above, they are a much better idea, but still slower than propane and somewhat less convenient. However they do lack the power draw that a proper solenoid-equipped propane system has.

But we'd never go back to a pressurized system that required pre heating etc like kero or alcohol.

dacap06 06-13-2012 06:22 AM

Denise, I hope you meant a CO detector, no a CO2 detector! Otherwise, the .04% CO2 in ambient air would be setting it off all the time. :D

UsailIbail! 06-13-2012 07:49 AM

Thanks for your replies. There is no question that I will be ripping the LPG system out - for many reasons, firstly being availability of LPG worldwide. I plan on departing the US within months of launching and kero or diesel is everywhere. Secondly, I am familiar with many deaths and injuries from LPG - as a full time firefighter I see its effects all the time. There is an entire house missing less than one mile down the street from my home... few pieces found were larger than 4' x 4'!. You can have all the LPG in your enclosed space that you like and you can depend on all the electronics you can muster to keep an eye on you. Salt air kills electronics, LPG kills boats. Don't mean to be rude here... just clear. Forgive me.

Flare ups on the kero stove were always entertaining - but never much more than that.

Thanks for the thoughts on the alcohol stove. The 38'er that I lived on nearly burned to the ground from an alcohol fire prior to my purchasing it. The owner was a world sailor who had a bad day with his stove. He was severely burned in the event. The reason I mention alcohol stoves is only to consider them as a unit to change over to kero. I am wondering at this point if anyone can target that question specifically. Thanks! I hope you don't think I am rude in this post. I am just clear that I love the kero! Yup! I hadn't mentioned that the same fuel line may go to my heater, pending the stove does not have one built in.

Jay

HipToBeSquare 06-13-2012 09:00 AM

Is this what you had in mind? DickinsonMarine.com - Marine Stoves

UsailIbail! 06-13-2012 11:16 AM

yes, that is very much what I have in mind. However, the price tag is not in my league. I am not wealthy.. but I am very handy brazing, fitting, welding, etc. That is why I purchased this vessel in the condition that it is in. The vessel is an extraordinary hull built in Holland that needs a whole lot of work - but in the end she will again be a fine yacht. There is no other way I could do this...

Back to the stove... I am looking for a very nice stove that I can afford. That is why I am asking about the alcohol stoves... I have seen a handful out there that look very well built and will increase the end value of this rebuild. My question remains... can an alcohol stove be readily refit into a kerosene? or are they completely different.

Thanks for the chatter. More is welcome... still don't have this figured out. For reference, I am looking at spending a couple of hundred bucks for a refitable sleeper somewhere.. I have nothing but time to find it, but I still need to know what is worth looking into.

Thanks!

Jay