SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Typical procedure to copy title for Harbormaster? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/88593-typical-procedure-copy-title-harbormaster.html)

Jody M 06-14-2012 02:33 AM

Typical procedure to copy title for Harbormaster?
 
First time owner. My question is. . Is it normally accepted that when you rent a slip for your boat at a marina that the Harbormaster request a copy of your boat title? I understand the reason for proof of insurance is in case I park my boat in his office, but I have heard some nasty rumors that a marina in my area falsifies records to illegally obtain ownership and sell your boat in a lien sale. Don't want to believe it, but.. I've heard it from 2 different people.

vega1860 06-14-2012 03:10 AM

Re: Typical procedure to copy title for Harbormaster?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jody M (Post 884609)
First time owner. My question is. . Is it normally accepted that when you rent a slip for your boat at a marina that the Harbormaster request a copy of your boat title? I understand the reason for proof of insurance is in case I park my boat in his office, but I have heard some nasty rumors that a marina in my area falsifies records to illegally obtain ownership and sell your boat in a lien sale. Don't want to believe it, but.. I've heard it from 2 different people.

It is normal for a marina to require proof of ownership in the form of copies of the vessel document or state registration and proof of insurance with the marina named as additionally insured. As for the rumors, if you do not pay your rent the marina has a right to place a lien on the vessel. If a particular marina has a bad reputation, do not deal with them. Work with reputable operators and pay your bills on time.

Minnewaska 06-14-2012 07:06 AM

Re: Typical procedure to copy title for Harbormaster?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jody M (Post 884609)
....Is it normally accepted that when you rent a slip for your boat at a marina that the Harbormaster request a copy of your boat title?......

I have never been asked for a copy of my registration, documentation or title.

Proof of insurance has been requested occasionally, although, I believe they almost always had the right to ask for it in the lease.

p.s. When you say Harbormaster, are they specifically running that marina or are they responsible for a broader public harbor?

scratchee 06-14-2012 07:19 AM

Re: Typical procedure to copy title for Harbormaster?
 
If you are asked to provide a copy of a title or similar official document, you may want to insert a notice in a conspicuous place, like over the serial number or over an official's signature, saying something like, "This is not an official document and is not a legal substitute for the original." Write it on an index card and place it on the glass of the copier with the original, so the original is not altered. I actually wrote "VOID VOID VOID" in a similar case a few years ago, though that could cause some confusion in the person you are giving it to (it didn't in my case.)

Also, I would copy in black and white instead of color.

sea_hunter 06-14-2012 07:39 AM

For the most part many marinas require a copy of your boats' documentation, registration and insurance along with their slip application. Every state has diffferent requirements regarding insurance coverage and identifying the marina as an interested party or otherwise. A photocopy of the original is all that is legally required and a black and white scan emailed is also legal. The use of titles identying boats varies as there are a number of state that are "non-title" requiring only registry of some type. Other states require registration even if the boat is documented. Either way providing legitimate marinas with this information protects both parties in the advent of problems.

Minnewaska 06-14-2012 07:54 AM

Re: Typical procedure to copy title for Harbormaster?
 
There are some states that are very aggressive at collecting sales/use tax on boats that might be registered elsewhere. I understand Massachusetts is one. Perhaps they require marinas to collect title and registration data to be forwarded. I've been told that marinas in Mass are required to report all vessels that stay longer than 2 weeks, but I can not confirm that is true.

However, again, I've never been asked for any of this. Only my insurance, occasionally.

sea_hunter 06-14-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska:884650
There are some states that are very aggressive at collecting sales/use tax on boats that might be registered elsewhere. I understand Massachusetts is one. Perhaps they require marinas to collect title and registration data to be forwarded. I've been told that marinas in Mass are required to report all vessels that stay longer than 2 weeks, but I can not confirm that is true.

However, again, I've never been asked for any of this. Only my insurance, occasionally.

What's your point? Your comments are merely based on hyperbole and hearsay. The OP only wants to know which way is the acceptable format in submitting documents required by a marina for the purposes of legitimately identifying a vessel. While there are some out there who's sole purpose in life is larceny, the least not being those that steal our time with trivialities, the greater body of humanity does not have conspiracy in their hearts.

Minnewaska 06-14-2012 12:17 PM

Re: Typical procedure to copy title for Harbormaster?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sea_hunter (Post 884656)
What's your point? Your comments are merely based on hyperbole and hearsay.

I was suggesting a reason why proof of ownership may be requested to warn the OP, in the event this might represent a problem. What's your point? Get up on the wrong side of the bed?

Quote:

The OP only wants to know which way is the acceptable format in submitting documents required by a marina for the purposes of legitimately identifying a vessel.
Wrong. This was the OP's question:

Is it normally accepted that when you rent a slip for your boat at a marina that the Harbormaster request a copy of your boat title?

vega1860 06-14-2012 05:03 PM

Re: Typical procedure to copy title for Harbormaster?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 884650)
There are some states that are very aggressive at collecting sales/use tax on boats that might be registered elsewhere. I understand Massachusetts is one. Perhaps they require marinas to collect title and registration data to be forwarded. I've been told that marinas in Mass are required to report all vessels that stay longer than 2 weeks, but I can not confirm that is true.

However, again, I've never been asked for any of this. Only my insurance, occasionally.

We were sent a property tax bill on our boat because we stayed six weeks in Eureka, CA. We learned that, in California, if your boat is in a marina on January 1, the marina operator must report you to the tax authorities who will then come after you for Tax$$$. We managed to get out of it because we were able to prove that we are bona fide transients. Every state is different.

misfits 06-14-2012 05:54 PM

Re: Typical procedure to copy title for Harbormaster?
 
[QUOTE=Minnewaska;884650]There are some states that are very aggressive at collecting sales/use tax on boats that might be registered elsewhere. I understand Massachusetts is one. [QUOTE]

You are correct. All the boats in the marinas in Newburyport have yearly user decals. Many years ago we kept a 21' on a trailer down in Newburyport & launched when we used the boat. Had NH numbers on the bow, got stopped by the state jack booted thugs on a regular basis. They wanted me to register the boat in MA. I never did but they were real dicks about it.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012