SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Printing Charts on home plotter (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/88685-printing-charts-home-plotter.html)

chuckg5 06-17-2012 10:16 AM

Printing Charts on home plotter

Re: Downloadable PRINTABLE NOAA Charts
has anyone tried printing these charts to use? I have a 13 X 19 cannon printer that prints the charts out but they are very lite in color and can not be read very well at all. I've changed the setting and type of paper options all over the place but it's still to lite colored to read. Bllue marine charts of ft. lauderdale will do the same for 30 bucks a chart but sailing up the whole coast from fla. to maine would cost a bunch. yes, i have 2 electronic chartplotters on the boat but i'm the old guy that feels good having an using real charts.

chuckg5 06-17-2012 11:38 AM

Re: Printing Charts on home plotter

it ain't the money
its the principal
you have tobe a sailor to understand

chuckg5 06-17-2012 11:48 AM

my downstairs butler walks the dogs

chuckg5 06-17-2012 11:49 AM

this isn't being posted, why?

ccriders 06-17-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milutin (Post 885580)
if it can not print go and by charts, if you can not afford it, sell the boat and take your dog for a walk , gardening or something for a hobby

That is pretty rude. Needlessly so.

ccriders 06-17-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckg5 (Post 885569)
Re: Downloadable PRINTABLE NOAA Charts
has anyone tried printing these charts to use? I have a 13 X 19 cannon printer that prints the charts out but they are very lite in color and can not be read very well at all. I've changed the setting and type of paper options all over the place but it's still to lite colored to read. Bllue marine charts of ft. lauderdale will do the same for 30 bucks a chart but sailing up the whole coast from fla. to maine would cost a bunch. yes, i have 2 electronic chartplotters on the boat but i'm the old guy that feels good having an using real charts.

Where did you download from? If not the NOAA then try them. If from NOAA look at their FAQs. Also, have you looked at their "booklet" charts? They can give you the printed chart security to go with your ENCs, are compact and easy to print out as you go.
John

chuckg5 06-17-2012 12:43 PM

crider
thank you, I'll try that and let you know how that works!

chuckg5 06-17-2012 12:47 PM

ccrider
great song. todays fathers day. gotta go do some daysailing and drink a 'few' beers. talk later
chuck

dacap06 06-17-2012 03:02 PM

Chuck,

If memory serves, the downloadable charts are Portable Network Graphics files (.png files). I suggest you use your favorite image manipulation software (that can handle pixel-based image formats) to edit the chart files and make the colors more saturated, and perhaps darker, so they print better on your particular printer.

Since your manipulation needs are modest, just about any good image manipulation program will do. The program name I'd suggest is Paint.net, the web site of which is http://www.getpaint.net/. Having said that carefully, I'll just mini-rant that I hate it when program names sound too much like web URLs. Ugh. Confusing.

Tom

Argyle38 06-18-2012 12:18 AM

I've done it many times. Downloaded charts from NOAA in .bsb format to have them read by the old Chart Navigator software. This software has the the ability to print at full scale. I would print them to a .pdf using Adobe Acrobat. From there I could change the boarder size or tweak them if needed.

I had access to a HP 42" roll fed printer at my work (although a 36" printer was all that was needed). This printer would print out full scale charts, but only on plain paper. If I used the whole roll of paper and all the ink I bought, the cost per chart was about $2.50, plus my time of course.

I'm an engineer by trade so access to these large scale printers (they aren't really plotters anymore) is quite common for me. Others industries that would use them would be architecture and graphic design.