Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: Solar power ~ no more running the engine

Living last week on the hook and doing 2 days of heavy laptop use, I can say that we do ok with solar (135 + 40) and wind (Fourwinds II), when I'm not working. That's because we are usually on shore exploring or at the beach and not using any electricity during the day. Running the inverter to power the laptop put me at a big deficit. (I don't have a 12v adaptor for my company's laptop.)

We have a Victron battery monitor. I HIGHLY recommend getting one.

I converted the 8 halogen lights in the salon to cheap warm-white LEDs. At 1/10th the price of the good ones, they'll do for now. Specifically, for just the salon, 3.6amps dropped down to 1.1 amps. That's a 70% reduction. I'm slowly working on replacing the lights in the 4 staterooms and the 6 reading lights too.

Note that we don't get too much wind generally -- looking back over my "pre-wind-genny-purchase weather research" leads me to think that by "average wind" they mean "the average of the daily highest wind speeds".

We have a separate freezer. The neighboring fridge gets some cooling though the adjoining wall. When I do install the fridge compressor, I'll need another 135w panel. I'm in the market for 2 of them, if I can find a decent price. I really don't like running the engine for charging. Due to the large size of our bimini, mounting another panel is reasonably straightforward.

We also have long range wifi, which burns about 0.5 amps. That includes the Wireless Access Point on the boat.

Regards,
Brad

Last edited by Bene505; 07-09-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
...I converted the 8 halogen lights in the salon to cheap warm-white LEDs. At 1/10th the price of the good ones, they'll do for now. Specifically, for just the salon, 3.6amps dropped down to 1.1 amps. That's a 70% reduction. I'm slowly working on replacing the lights in the 4 staterooms...
4 state rooms! Wow that must be some size of boat.
What is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
We also have long range wifi, which burns about 0.5 amps. That includes the Wireless Access Point on the boat.
When you say long range...
What is the actual working range in real life use?
Old 07-09-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB.UK View Post
4 state rooms! Wow that must be some size of boat.
What is it?
Beneteau 505. We have the 5th cabin up front, but use that for storing sails and fishing poles. We even call it the garage.

The onboard webcam is transmitting pictures every 5 minutes, if you want to see what the interior looks like right now.

Quote:
When you say long range...
What is the actual working range in real life use?
I have permission from the marina 3/4 mile away to use their WiFi, but I'm finding that I'm hitting a subscription WiFi just fine. (The subscription is included with my cable subscription.) There's a thread on it hereabouts Google this: "Bene505 long range wifi site:sailnet.com" (leave the quotes out).

Regards,
Brad
Old 07-14-2012

Kuanyiniv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
yikes, generator bikes and solar panels?

For a newbies prospective, I'm not sure I see return on purchasing things like that. If you had 3-4 marine batterys, and say a 20 hp yamar diesel, how long would it really take at idle to charge the batteries? And how much fuel would you really burn doing it?
Have you ever seen these generators?
Bike Power Generators -- Windstream Power
Old 07-14-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuanyiniv View Post
Have you ever seen these generators?
Bike Power Generators -- Windstream Power
They look fantastic!
Somebody posted about them in another thread I started to be specifically about human power!

Human-Powered electricity generating..?
Old 07-15-2012

foggysail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
DavidB.uk, electrical systems for boats can get complicated pretty quickly and you need to do a lot more engineering before we can answer specific questions. The info you have given so far in this thread isn’t enough to support a WAG, let alone a cogent analysis. My suggestion to you is get a copy of the “12 Volt Bible” read it thoroughly, and then come back with questions. You will need to construct an energy budget. Remember the formula: watts= volts * amps. Your computer consumes a whopping 310 watts that converts to 26 amps per hour. Multiply that by the intended hours of usage, factor in the conversion loss through your inverter and you could be looking at 360 amps per day just for that one device. 360 amps is the storage capacity of a 4D battery which you should not run down pass half capacity so you need two. Where are you located at? West coast of Mexico? Wattage on solar panels assumes direct overhead sunlight so the further north you go (like England for example) the efficiency of the panel will drop off considerably. Likewise, what are you going to do on cloudy or raining days? Your production then will drop to only a few amps per hour whereas the computer is using 26. Check the engine specs on your Westerly’s engine. Chances are it is using a 40 amp diode controlled alternator which means for most of the time it’s max output is somewhere around 5-10 amps per hour (your small displacement diesel engine is a lousy way to generate electrons). You have a lot of homework to do.
There are two things I am hung up with, first is where to begin and second is where these figures come from.

A computer using over 300 watts????? Really???? Is someone using a workstation instead of a laptop on their boat? That figure needs to be reexamined. Another point I a reference to a 40 ampere diode controlled alternator. Semiconductors today are cheap, there is little cost difference between a 50 ampere diode and a 100 ampere diode but the diode rectifiers are not the limitation or problem with alternators. Enough on alternators, the thing that still confuses me is the high power computer.

Foggy
Old 07-15-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

A lappie with a normal screen draws from 30 watts to 75 approx. Some of the Kindle style touchscreen tablets are down in single digits though.
Old 07-15-2012

foggysail is on a distinguished road

Wifey and I just finished about 10 days on a mix of anchor and mooring. I have a 7.5kw Kohler generator capable of satisfying any reasonable energy demand that arises. There are costss. First is gas at over $4 plus the noise; even quite generators make noise. I lost it when I found my tired batteries near complete sulfation because of depleted charge due mostly to our 8.3cu ft fridge that includes a defrost cycle.

Sure I/we can give up the fridge but I understand life is short and who knows how long we will be dead. The fridge stays! OH the fridge is powered by a 1kw Zantrex inverter energized with the house batteries, 2 hugh group somethings that weigh about 150#+ each.

I took action a couple of days ago and ordered 2 each 145 watt 20-21vdc panels from Amazon for $320 delivered. I also ordered a MPPT controller for $80 on Ebay....time will tell how close it really is to being true MPPT but it is a start. I just do not want to run my generator any longer than necessary including over an hour in the morning for coffee.

Two 145 watt panels with a decent controller....I do not believe mine is decent should produce in Massachusetts about 15 amperes/hour charge for at least 4 hours/DAY...I HOPE! If my assumptions are sound and if actual use verifies my estimate, I probably will add more panels later. Final note, I am changing those oversized batteries to 4 each T105s or T125s next week.

What are others actually measuring with their panels?

Foggy

Last edited by foggysail; 07-15-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-15-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

We have 2 65-watt panels, at our latitude (<40 in summer; <30 in winter) we have seen as much as 8 amp instantaneous coming in. Our fridge/freezer (keel-cooled and heavily insulated) draws about 30 amp-hours/day in 70 degree water. We converted all our lights to LED; the solar panels take care of 100% of our needs on sunny days including 1 hour of computer time per day. Now looking to transition from laptop with spinning hard drive to a solid state/flash memory type to save energy further.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-15-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Two 145 watt panels with a decent controller....I do not believe mine is decent should produce in Massachusetts about 15 amperes/hour charge for at least 4 hours/DAY...I HOPE!
We have two 135 watt panels. Before we got the panels, we consumed on average 50 amp/day. After the panels, we would show that we were down 20 amps when we got up in the morning. During the day, we restored that by noon and the solar panels ran the refrigeration all day as well with no loss, so when the sun went down, we were fully charged. Next morning, down only 20 amps again, instead of 50. Our panels keeps our batteries very happy.
Bene505 likes this.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.