Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Spearguns

In the seventies and eighties I could feed a half a dozen yachts with my Tahitian spear gun.
Today they are illegal in almost every country in the eastern Caribbean and illegal to even have aboard in some, like the Bahamas.
I've no idea where you intend to spearfish, but be very careful what the local regs are before you get on a boat with one or in the water.
A good gun should have a spear about 6' long and a wood handle. Easily found bits, like rubbers and tips. If you get a really big fish that you can't handle, a wooden gun will float and you can trail the fish with the boat until it tires.
Fewer working parts means less cleaning and maintenance, obviously. Big powerful double rubber guns are for the pros; keep clear. Don't bother with fancy; kiss.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Today they are illegal in almost every country in the eastern Caribbean and illegal to even have aboard in some, like the Bahamas.
Your info is out of date.

Spearguns are being used in many places for Lionfish.

Cruisers to the Bahamas and Caribbean can help out the Lionfish problem and have fun at the same time. Check islands doing group dives etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Spearguns are being used in many places for Lionfish.
Yes, but Lionfish only. Use that same speargun to get any other sort of fish in the Bahamas and you could find yourself in a whole lot of trouble.

The real point is that you cannot assume anything. More specifically, don't just assume that you can go anywhere you want, hop over the side with your speargun, and catch your dinner. Each country has its own laws, and you need to familiarize yourself with the current laws of the country you are in BEFORE you do any sort of fishing (spear or otherwise).
Old 12-06-2012

thedude is on a distinguished road

before moving to the muddy waters of the chesapeake, i lived in socal where the spearing was outstanding. looking forward to doing more when we set off to nova scotia this summer.

as for gear, it all depends on what and where you're hunting. i would say go with a euro or rail gun, as they are much easier to load. i prefer float lines over reels, but you need something. hawaiian slings are great for some hunting (loved them for halibut) and they are definitely economical, but you won't get the big game fish with those.

look at the mako spearguns and gear. i have one of their guns and a wetsuit. good gear and good prices.