Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012

ChristianSailing is on a distinguished road
Spearguns

Looking for recommendations on purchasing a Speargun.

Price?
Brand?
Critical aspects of a good gun?
Laws/Regulations?

Never owned one but liked Tom Neales' perspective on using one.

Thanks,
Bryan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2012

Shortnsalty is on a distinguished road
Re: Spearguns

I've spearfished since the early 90's. Band guns are fun I've used my buddies a bunch of times. I however have always spearfished with a pole spear. For less than 30 bucks you can get a brand new one with tip and all. You simply place the band in the crotch of your thumb, stretch the band up the pole and hold the spear, when your ready to fire you just let go. Virtually no upkeep needed, no string or line to deal with etc.
Remember this though, once you catch a fish..or two depending on how many people your feeding it's always smart to get out of the water..forget this "catch a bunch and keep em on a stringer around your waist" or your asking for shark trouble. Wearing bleeding bait in the water is never a good idea
Old 07-02-2012

Shortnsalty is on a distinguished road

Oh..I always have a valid fishing license but a dive flag is a must..at least where I live in Florida. I had friends that swam away from me when I had the flag on my ankle and they were ticketed right in the water by B.S.O It was kinda funny to see the cops hand him a paper ticket in the water about 100 yards from shore.
Old 07-03-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Salty, I'd never heard of another state besdies FL that considers snorkelers to be "divers" but I guess that's as a result of the usual drunk yahoos running down snorkelers. Interestingly enough, if you leave your mask or snorkel home, and just are "equipped" with one of those, not both, you don't have to tow a dive flag. You're magically protected against drunks and yahoos. Hmmm....
Old 07-03-2012

ChristianSailing is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the feedback. Think I'll start with the Hawian Sling until I can afford the $200-$300 guns. Got on Utube last night and found several good videos for both the Sling and Gun. My target is 10-15 pounders so the sling should suffice.

Thanks again and Happy 4th wherever you are.
Old 07-03-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

When I set sail for Fanning Island, I assumed they had all the speargun parts one finds in hardware stores in French Polynesia. Wrong, they have nothing, and make their spearguns out of whatever salvaged material they can find. If I had know that, I would have brought more materials, like rubbers, stainless for the wishbones, and wood for the barrels. We did find enough materials on board to make our own, with considerable improvising.
In the South Pacific, you wont catch much with a pole spear. Fish have seen spear fishermen for centuries, and know exactly how far and fast a spear will travel. I have held the point of a spear within a foot of a fish, pulled the trigger, and the fish was gone before the spear got there. They react at the sound of the trigger. It takes a 1/4 inch diameter spear , maximum, in a four foot spear gun, with three 5/8th OD by 1/16th ID surgical tubing to be fast enough to catch them. 5/16th thick spears simply dont work down there. Too slow.Go to a spring shop and buy 1/4 inch oil tempered spring steel for your spears. While a lot comes in coils, straight stuff is available.
Old 07-03-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I have a JBL WOODY 38 SPECIAL. Great spear gun, affordalble. I've shot my weight in fish with it. I've wounded more fish than I caught with my old Hawian sling, which breaks my heart.
Old 07-04-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Fish have seen spear fishermen for centuries, and know exactly how far and fast a spear will travel. I have held the point of a spear within a foot of a fish, pulled the trigger, and the fish was gone before the spear got there. They react at the sound of the trigger. It takes a 1/4 inch diameter spear , maximum, in a four foot spear gun, with three 5/8th OD by 1/16th ID surgical tubing to be fast enough to catch them. .
Yeah, my experience too. The mongrels mess with your head. They sit there, inviting you to spear them, then they move just enough. You miss, have to surface for air and they have gone.

Oh, I have a hawaiin sling and a medium size pneumatic with 2 spears. [ it was just to keep the economy going, useless thing]

I did see a huge 5' spanish mackeral just broadside to the spear gun and all I had to do was pull the trigger. Then I realised that if I pulled the trigger, it would swim away with spear attached to me holding onto the expensive spear gun. So I let it get away, out of the kindness of my heart!

Good luck, its all part of the cruising lifestyle - expensive, frustrating and a waste of effort, ....but overall a lot of fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"They sit there, inviting you to spear them, then they move just enough. "
That's why it is called hunting, not shopping.

But it gets worse, I've seen a perfectly good sharpened spear literally BOUNCE off a blackfish (tautog).

Then of course, you're supposed to ask the fish to pose nicely against a ruler so you can be sure it is of legal size before you stalk it....
davidpm likes this.
Old 10-17-2012
freedom seeker

tapske is on a distinguished road

Ask a true Pro.

I have been free-dive spear fishing a handful of times in cozumel, Mexico. And have spurprised myself when looking at my dive comp. that I was past 60' It is easy to get caught up in the moment/hunt... so be careful.

There is a great guy named Leo, who for almost 10 years now has had a very successful spear-fishing business down on Isla cozumel. He is a very gunuine and nice guy, and would be happy to offer any guidance onm any equipment to any level person interested in the sport.
try "Leospearfishing.com" Or google spearfishing in cozumel, and he will come up.

I have no doubt if u just flip him a quick e-mail, he'll get back to u with good info. in his typical cheery island attitude.

---tapske

NIF