Like Tree99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road
Re: Couples living aboard how goes the relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
In case you change your mind, that has already been solved. I saw a megayacht show on TV where the yacht was designed so that the owners never had to see the crew. Ever. The crew had separate stairs and paths throughout the boat.
I still wouldn't even want them onboard. We do dirty things out to sea which I wouldn't want any prying eyes to see.... :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2012

Yofy is on a distinguished road

Well I just spent the better part of an hour wading through all the pages on this thread and what I can say is that now I know for sure that size IS an issue for you guys

On a more serious note. I am a woman, and Manny and I have been living aboard together for over 20 years. For the record we began living aboard on a Catalina 27 and now live aboard a Fortune 30. We have running water (as well as foot pumps), a well fitted out galley, AC and many more homey comforts.

I do believe that our relationship is stronger for the years of cruising and living aboard. Life at sea teaches you to problem solve and to work as a team. Living in a small space requires good communication skills and a little inginuity when time out is necessary. Manny uses our aft cabin for all his tools and spare parts, so that it has gradulally become his space. Now he has a small TV there. Often he'll watch a movie on it when he just wants time out. Some evenings he'll sit there and I'll stretch out in the main cabin with a book. On the hook one of us might take off in the dinghy for an hour or so, or go to the hamock in the bow. Too much togetherness can get a little intense.

One thing is for sure, we are healthier for our lifestyle. In our late 50's we note that we are more agile, and have stronger bodies than many of our land based friends. We are less stressed.

Would a bigger boat make a difference to our relationship? No I don't think so although handling a 50 foot boat would be stressful for me. A larger boat would make life aboard more comfortable and allow us to have visitors for longer periods of time.

What I do miss is the company of women. I have had to get used to being surrounded by men most of the time. Its changing but the sailing community is still predominantly male. This summer for the first time here, we have another couple living aboard next to us. I've really enjoyed chats in the cockpit and sharing stories over a cup of tea with her.

Robyn
wingNwing and elspru like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-09-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

From Yofy: "A larger boat would make life aboard more comfortable..."

And that is the unarguable bottom line which has been fairly elusive to extract from the die hard "we love our 30 something footer" group. :-)

A more comfortable life.... and there you have it.
Old 08-09-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Sheesh Doug, everyone has been in agreement on that from the beginning! That's not what we've been debating here, is it?

Yofy, nice to see you here. I've been enjoying your blog for a while now.
Old 08-09-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post

And that is the unarguable bottom line which has been fairly elusive to extract from the die hard "we love our 30 something footer" group. :-)

Apparently it is not inarguable.
We have all been arguing about it for pages now.
I didn't realize that the end goal here is for us to agree with you, Doug. I still don't. I'd much rather have a well equipped cozy 30 footer than a 50 ft + boat.
Different tastes, different needs different desires. You like what you like, I like what I like.
Why do you have such a problem with that, and feel it is necessary to denigrate anyone who doesn't think bigger is better, as seen, yet again, with your comment quoted above?
wingNwing likes this.

Last edited by bljones; 08-09-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Why do you have such a problem with that, and feel it is necessary to denigrate anyone who doesn't think bigger is better, as seen, yet again, with your comment quoted above?

He obviously is a short guy with a small pecker. To hang with the big dog's he needs to "buy" his way in with the 50 footer. Since he hasn't got to far offshore yet, and seems to enjoy his creature comforts at the dock, he is just pissing in the wind here.....

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-09-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

As obvious as it may seem, a strong relationship endures (without going into all the things that make a strong relationship), weak ones do not.
bljones likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 08-10-2012

elspru is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, so been looking at prices of these different boat sizes.
Gotta say it's pretty obvious price increase is exponential with size.
For instance while a 20 something footer is usually <$10 thousand,
and 30 footers are between $8-100 thousand,
40 footers are around $100-300
and 50 footers are $300 thousand to 1.5 million

my parents been paying off a $250 thousand house mortgage for almost 20 years now,
even though they both have full time jobs, as high paying computer programmers.
meaning they come home from work really tired and have no energy for family.
When I was living with them, I decided I would actually be available for my children.
Is one of the main reasons having no or minimal debt is so important,
besides setting an example of how to cut off the banks' trough (interest),
they get plenty enough money from hijacking currency and enslaving nations.

Anyways to fit into my marina of choice, which is non-profit do-it-yourself style,
have to have a boat that's under 36ft long.
I can get a cheap 30 something footer, if willing to do the maintenance..

In terms of single-handing, I have perhaps a romantic notion of doing it with minimal (no) electronics,
so would prefer to have a tiller for mechanical steering, and maybe a cutter or yawl rig for sail balance.
I always like to consider, what if all those NWO plans pan out, and the option becomes live free or die.
So I prefer to go with things that we can make and maintain ourselves with mostly foraged stuff,
is why my ideal boat would be ferrocement, as they are much easier to make,
cement and iron is easier to produce than fiberglass and vinyl ester,
obviously are also not flammable, and easier to repair underway,
can get a 36ft one for $4,000 at the moment,
fitted out for liveaboard with pressure water,
maybe we'll get it sooner rather than later.

For alone time, I don't think any boat could be big enough, since we produce energetic fields (aura's).
Usually when I want "alone time" what I Really want is "nature time" i.e. time to be in a forest, or swiming with some life forms, to recharge energetic fields. So for that the best thing is a dinghy for getting to shore, or a snorkle/scuba for diving. Often enough my spouse even opts to go with me.
Typically I take advantage of these excursions to do some chores like composting seedballing (giving) or foraging (receiving).

I wouldn't even consider having a washer/dryer since we don't use one now,
only thing we really need for it is a tub with some standing room for washing,
and somewhere to hang our clothing to dry.

But ya, gonna get my spouse's list of items she'd like on saturday,
I can imagine the main thing will be room for the kids.
Old 08-10-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

I'd pass on the ferro-cement boat for sale on kijiji. In fact, I'd pass on ferro-cement for a first boat,
It was a romantic idea in the 60s and early 70s, as was engineless cruising and cruising without electronics...
And some, like Lyn and Larry Pardey have managed to build a career around it, but from a practical standpoint, especially in crowded anchorages like those in Toronto, Oakville and Hamilton Harbour, it is a very bad idea.

Regarding debt, there is good debt and bad debt- Good debt is getting a mortgage at 5% in a hot housing market where prices are rising 8-10% annually...like Toronto over the past three or four years. Bad debt is being stupid enough to buy a house in Toronto now. By being scared of interest you are limiting how fast your cruising kitty can grow, and ironically, lengthening the time it takes to get truly debt free.

Old 08-10-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Apparently it is not inarguable.
We have all been arguing about it for pages now.
I didn't realize that the end goal here is for us to agree with you, Doug. I still don't. I'd much rather have a well equipped cozy 30 footer than a 50 ft + boat.
Different tastes, different needs different desires. You like what you like, I like what I like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post

"A more comfortable life ..." A more comfortable life ... not boat, but life ... A boat is part of a life, but not the complete picture. Let's look at the whole picture.

You have a large comfortable boat and a job - right now, a "regular" job, in the future you intend to charter the large comfortable boat, by my definition, still a "job" as you cater to someone else's needs & schedule than your own.

I have a small comfortable boat and no need for a job - not now nor ever in the future (barring the sort of political developments whose discussion would move this thread to off-topic).

You enjoy doing the maintenance on that large boat. I enjoy watching someone else support his family by doing the maintenance on our small boat, his work paid for with the money left over from purchase of same small boat. (And before we get sidetracked - yes, I am perfectly capable of changing an impeller, stitching a sail, tracking down the source of a leak, all the safety skills whose lack could get you in serious trouble in a deserted anchorage. Different issue. Needs vs wants.)

What ticks me off about this "conversation" is that the undertone keeps shifting from bigger-is-better for some people, to bigger-is-better for everyone, if they would only admit it to themselves.

Our marina hosted a raftup last year in a great little anchorage, with a 6-1/2 foot bar at the entrance. Two of our dock neighbors with 40-45 foot boats couldn't attend the party because they were nervous about their draft on the way in. Left lots more free beer for those of us who had smaller, shallower boats.
DRFerron and elspru like this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:

Last edited by wingNwing; 08-10-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added the second & third sentence for clarity

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.