SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   How to establish residency for live aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/89337-how-establish-residency-live-aboard.html)

Strider1234 07-04-2012 06:57 PM

How to establish residency for live aboard

I have been living aboard for 10 years on a documented boat and have paid a state sales tax. I have a pub in Fl. And a Fl drivers licence. I find myself in Maryland waters for an extended period of time and wish to change residence from Florida to Maryland, however , without a residential street address , I can not. All marinas, personal mailbox services and such are considered commercial addresses and do not qualify. I think I would have more luck if I were not a US citizen! Any helpful suggestions welcome.

speciald 07-04-2012 08:05 PM

Re: How to establish residency for live aboard

Sign up with St. Brendan's Isle mail service and use their address as your Florida address. Change your driver's license, voting address, etc. to your address there 911 Walnut Street, #XXXX, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043. Call them and they will help you.

Strider1234 07-04-2012 09:33 PM

I guess I wasn't clear. I am aFlorida resident with a pmb with St. Bredndans. I want to change to Maryland , however Maryland will not allow you to use a mail service as your address. The computer immediately can tell residential from commercial adress and commercial is not allowed, nor are marinas

sea_hunter 07-04-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strider1234:892676
I have been living aboard for 10 years on a documented boat and have paid a state sales tax. I have a pub in Fl. And a Fl drivers licence. I find myself in Maryland waters for an extended period of time and wish to change residence from Florida to Maryland, however , without a residential street address , I can not. All marinas, personal mailbox services and such are considered commercial addresses and do not qualify. I think I would have more luck if I were not a US citizen! Any helpful suggestions welcome.

PO box numer @ local PO.

Strider1234 07-04-2012 10:07 PM

Post office box is not allowed , it must be a non commercial address.

Strider1234 07-04-2012 10:13 PM

The problem in Maryland and I think virginia is that a few years ago these states were criticized for allowing non US citizens to get a drivers license by using a PO box as their legal residense . Now you must somehow prove you have a legitmet dwelling place . I live on a boat 12 months a year in this state and pay state income tax, but I can't establish residency if I am not a dirt dweller.

sea_hunter 07-05-2012 10:12 AM

I understand that commercial po's are not allowed, but what's wrong with USPS? We had a similar issue in LA and used the marina's street address on our DLs, with no problems. We added our slip number as an "apartment" number so as not to be confused as the commercial address of the marina. There was no problem using the po as the mailing address. We did the same in CT, and it worked fine.

Tim R. 07-05-2012 11:14 AM

+1 the slip as your apt. number.

You could also add an "A" to the street number(if that is not already a valid address) to try and fool the computer.

Stumble 07-05-2012 12:34 PM

I haven't been through this, but my recommendation would be to ignore the computer and get in touch with an actual person. Most automated systems work great for the 99% of people who need them, but a live aboard is going to need to work around the system.

ebs001 07-05-2012 05:53 PM

Rent a room for a month in a non commercial residence. and use that address. Once you establish residency then change your mailing address to whatever you want.