Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012
Eyeing off horizons

meridiansahoy is on a distinguished road
Insurance needed in marinas abroad?

In Sydney I'm told that often Marinas won't take boats without some sort of third party insurance.

Have any of my fellow Sydney-siders run into this problem? Also considering that we want to take this boat through asia, south africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific are we going to get turned away from Marinas without insurance?

How many people "self insure" these days? Any horror stories?

Cheers
Hugh
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK
Re: Insurance needed in marinas abroad?

If I am incorrect then I apologise in advance, but it is my understanding that 3rd party insurance is a must...

When you consider the worse case scenario (albeit extreme circumstances)...

if for some reason your boat breaks it's mooring, come away at anchor, catches fire etc.

any of those things could result in a death, serious injury or serious damage to property or other craft, you as the owner/skipper solely responsible. and (as far as I am aware) if you don't have insurance you could be held personally liable for all damages.

I can only speak regarding quotes I have had for a little boat here in the UK, but I had a quote for only a fraction over £100 and that covered me for fire and theft (inc. contents upto £3k). Ok, that was only a UK coastal (upto 12miles offshore).

I can't imagine a scenario where it isn't worth the money for the peace of mind.
Old 07-16-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

It varies but I have been asked for insurance at almost every marina and occasionally by customs, etc checking into a country
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
Old 07-16-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Let me add this, from someone who does not cruise the world in my sailboat, but has traveled a bit;

If you are considered liable in some places you may be held until retribution is made.

That is a broad statement, open to interpretation, and so are laws.

Not to pick on any country or people.
1. You are in a collision with a rental jet ski on Mars and:
a. The jet ski is driven by a tourist from Pluto
b. The jet ski is driven by a Mars national
c. The jet ski is driven by a tourist from Earth
The Mars jet ski rental company is going to get money from somebody/anybody/everybody and the local police might just hold onto someone/anyone until someone coughs up some cash.

Last edited by RobGallagher; 07-16-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-16-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

YES 3rd party Insurance is required at SOME marinas and SOME boatyards. Usually the upmarket places full of million dollar yachts will require it. But the less toney places often do not. EG Grenada Spice Island Boatyard does Carriacou Tyrell Bay yard does not.

Beware an increasing number of countires require 3rd party Insurance eg Italy and often require a certificate of competance as well.

See Noonsite for more info.
Old 07-16-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Yes, they will usually require liability insurance. Perhaps not if you're just tying up for one night, but for any longer period marinas are concerned that if you sink, someone has to pay to remove it. If you hit the neighbor, or t-bone the dock...someone has to pay for it.

A broker should be able to give you some advice on what is required in various places, as well as getting you quotes on a policy.
Old 07-16-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridiansahoy View Post
In Sydney I'm told that often Marinas won't take boats without some sort of third party insurance.

Have any of my fellow Sydney-siders run into this problem? Also considering that we want to take this boat through asia, south africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific are we going to get turned away from Marinas without insurance?

How many people "self insure" these days? Any horror stories?

Cheers
Hugh
When I was in Australia I bought a "liability only" policy to cover myself in marinas, and being a litigous society it was good if I damaged somebody else's property. Reasonably priced. In the 3rd world it is not an issue. Yes, I've been self insured for most of the 13 years offshore....

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-17-2012

harryws is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to harryws
Mediterranean insurance

You will need insurance while in all marinas that you pay and yes they all demand to see it. Any good company will give you the suitable paper with about 7 translations of your policy and the amount on one easy-to-use sheet
Old 07-17-2012
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Basically yes here in Sydney and all up the east coast marinas do require you now to have insurance.

In practice this differs from marina to marina how much they will really care. Some places never even asked. Abel Point in the Whitsundays now won't even take a booking or let you in until you have emailed/faxed a copy of your insurance.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 07-19-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Some Australian marinas take it to extremes and want a minimum of $10 Million in third party while others want $5 Million. I asked my insurer (Jackline Policy through IMIS) and they said that basically they cannot even quote at such levels since the cost is so high. You can get insurance in Oz to make up the difference. Some marinas ask and then just accept your insurance certificate; others want the coverage even for one night. Outside Oz we have not had a problem.