Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Mainers, Midcoasters, Maine

Prior to my owning my Oday 30 I would take a week or two every Sept and visit Maine. I love it there. Love the woods, rivers, lakes and the coast. Love the people of Maine too! "Mainers" I've always wished I lived in Maine. Loved going out on windjammers which was part of the reason I wanted my own boat.

When the bottom fell out of my biz, real estate sales went stagnant and I was suddenly older then I wanted to be; My 10 year dream/plan was dashed to smithereens ; Sell off and buy a 36- 42 ft boat. live aboard 9 months. In Winter, stay with family in the South (TN)

Being realistic, I know it's not wise to think there is anyway out of my current situation this late in life; House with a mortgage, housemates to help make ends meet, a small ck from SS each month; I still pine away thinking of the life I'm missing up there, even though I'm OK with my life here.

My haunts were Camden, Belfast, and Stonington. with occasional inland jaunts to some of the lakes and woods. I hate hot weather and love coolness of the Maritimes in general. I even had a fantasy of working for a wooden boat builder part time!

Anyway; I'd love to hear from anyone that is living "my dream" in Maine! Please "rub it in" and let me know what I'm missing because I'm not likely to visit anymore!

I've been to Maine enough to know the costs (If I could relocate) of being there will always exceed any ability I have to be self sufficient there, so I'm trying real hard to make the best of it here where I'm at now. on or off a boat. But as each Sept draws closer; and the years go by like months it seems; My mind wanders, my creative juices start me thinking.. "if I" and "I could if, or when I sold..and bought"
sheils likes this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Mainers, Midcoasters, Maine

Denise, I grew up in Amber, PA. My folks built a camp in Maine when I was a kid and I spent most summers on the inland lakes playing in the woods and on the lake. When I was 15 I got motivated and spent my summers in PA alone, working and saving. When I graduated college I started moving north(and east). I was stuck in NW NJ for a couple of years but met my wife there. She agreed to move to Maine with me and try it out for 5 years. That was 15 years ago.

A few years back I was laid off from a job I hated, started consulting and went through a mini mid-life crisis. Basically thought to myself, where do I want to be in 10 years. I started thinking about a career change and found a marina and charter business for sale. During the negotiations, my wife and I decided that if we buy the marina, we would live the first couple of years aboard so we could get to know the area before we purchased a home.

The marina deal fell through but my wife still wanted to live aboard. We sold the old boat, I took 6 months off from my consulting to renovate the house and put it on the market. 6 weeks later, we were homeless. Luckily a friend let us crash at his house for a few weeks while we were shopping for the new "home".

We have been aboard since October 2010. Our five year plan is to work on the boat, learn her inside and out, save for our cruising kitty, quit of jobs and go exploring.

Anything I can do to help?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-19-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Very inspiring Tim! Your and yours are to be applauded! What does it "cost" to be a live aboard up there? Not sure I want to know LOL

There was a time that I would have done just what you did but it's kind of behind me now.

I had one idea suggested to my by one of my YC friends. That idea was to offer hvac installation and service, or consulting to other boat owners. I do have the skills, trade, and business experience that many people could use. I can adapt to "marine" even though I'd rather not LOL Sub contracting hvac to boat builders was a thought also. But like I said, I'm older now, the energy to fight the good fight in the contracting world is pretty low nowadays.

Hey I'd love to go sailing with "y'all" sometime!

my current "project"!
Old 07-19-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

It is not too bad but that is relative.

Here are the (mostly)fixed primary expenses for a 40 ft. boat in Portland. This does not include maintenance as I see that as a boat owning expense, not a strictly live-aboard expense.

$6,200 - Yearly Slip in downtown Portland(including water, cable, shore-side facilities, summer electric and one parking space)
$400 - Winter electric
$900 - Diesel for heating(Hurricane hydronic heating system)
$125 - Yearly shrinkwrap costs

Portland has the best economic base in the state so is the best place to find a job. We both work here but cruise to Penn Bay once a year for 2 weeks. Casco Bay is a great place for weekend cruising.

Denise, I doubt it is too late for your to make a change you have dreamt of for a long time. In 5 years you may look back and regret not doing it now. Figure out what is keeping you there and get rid of it. Find a job in the Portland area and live on land. You will have plenty of time to find a boat and move aboard.

What are your skills? We have plenty of HVAC contractors up here but I frequently hear ads on the radio looking for qualified technicians.

BTW, part of my consulting business was job placement.

Would love to take you for a sail.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-19-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

Oh.. I'm retired basically! Owned my own HVAC biz close to 30 years, (residential and light commercial, with some home improvements (kitchens and baths) tossed in. But It's all nearly gone now.. if a small job comes in I have a part time helper/friend that works with me. I'll be 64 this Sunday!

Casco is nutty with tourists. Same with Bar Harbor. Belfast Camden/Rockport are nice for the boat imo, Although I love Stonington the most it's probably not the place I'd stay. Portland; not sure.

What's keeping me here.. my house, my boat, and fear of doing such a move so late in life. Hell, I can't even find time to get down to Chesapeake Bay! And now that the summers are becoming unbearable for me that's loosing it's flavor too!

All in all I could be doing worse.. I just need to accept that I missed the mark when I was younger.

my current "project"!
Old 07-19-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post

What's keeping me here.. my house, my boat, and fear of doing such a move so late in life. Hell, I can't even find time to get down to Chesapeake Bay! And now that the summers are becoming unbearable for me that's loosing it's flavor too!

All in all I could be doing worse.. I just need to accept that I missed the mark when I was younger.
Late in life? (Sending you some positive energy here) Given your age, I'm figuring on another 20 years just based on average life expectancy - that's plenty of time. Can you take in another roommate, take yourself out and spend a chunk of time afloat?

I kinda like Great Lakes - similar topography to Maine, but fresh water, no tides, and no lobster pots. Some pretty sweet photos here: Adventures of Sonador (Yes, she's a powerboater but she's also a single woman in her mid-60s living the dream)
deniseO30 likes this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-19-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Can you take in another roommate, take yourself out and spend a chunk of time afloat?
Actually that is what I've been doing. I hate it.. the stories I could tell about housemates LOL

my current "project"!
Old 07-19-2012

Yeah, but OTOH, let someone else pay off your mortgage while you're out playing
deniseO30 likes this.

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

and
! And a new project:
Old 07-19-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Yeah, but OTOH, let someone else pay off your mortgage while you're out playing
that is the plan ... well was.. after 2 junkies, 5 or 6 flat out liars and wasted time on agreements with just about all of them it's difficult.

my current "project"!
Old 07-19-2012

I gather we've been incredibly lucky, we have a killer property management firm for our rentals. Our *newest* tenant has been there about 3-1/2 years and the *latest* anyone's ever been with the rent was 5 days. If you can find a reputable firm in your area, they are soooo worth the 7-8% they charge.

and
! And a new project: