Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road
Re: My Boat was Hit Bad

CK,

Sorry to see the damage to your boat (your home!). Marine insurance varies country to country. Might be worth paying a limited amount for legal advice, given that you live in litigacious USA. When my neighbor's boat dragged and hit my boat in a storm, we both reported it to our insurance companies, which turned out to be the same company. Although both boats were repaired satisfactorily, the insurance company said the blame was shared and wanted both of us to pay deductables. Fortunately my neighbor is a good guy and paid my deductable out of his own pocket. You are right to go after the power boater's insurance company. If you involve your insurance company, make sure that they know you are exercising your "right of subrogation" to go after the other party for full damages. Good luck. Hope you have a speedy resoution.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2012

ronspiker is on a distinguished road

If you have to move out because of repairs you might be able to get reimbursed for the cost of living someplace else while your home is being fixed.
Wcoast sailor likes this.
Old 07-25-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

My boat was hit but only received cosmetic damage. Still the cost to repair was staggering. Nearly covered what I paid for the boat. It was my insurance that paid as it was considered an "act of God" (another boat broke free of it's mooring during a storm).

You don't say what state you live in or type/age of boat. If you are in New England, I'm guessing the cost to repair is going to be high, there could be a wait and your boat might have to be moved inside for the winter to get it done.

DO NOT go with anyone but the best for your estimate and repairs. This has to be done right the first time. Mentally prepare yourself for the damage to surpass the value of the boat.
Old 07-25-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Keep a DAILY written log of ALL YOUR ACTIVITIES related to the accident with a column for the costs AND KEEP RECEIPTS. TAKE PICTURES>

Assume that in 13 months time the other insurance company is going to try and weasel out of paying the claim or related costs. Having a contemporaneous record of your activities will be 85% of the battle.

Hope your baby is restored to health in a hurry!

Fellow full time liveaboard.
Old 07-25-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

1972 Islander MK II is a nice boat. The interior is nicely done. Sorry to hear that this happened to you. Be grateful no one was injured.
As a previous poster has said, "Mentally prepare yourself for the damage to surpass the value of the boat."
Old 07-25-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
1972 Islander MK II is a nice boat. The interior is nicely done. Sorry to hear that this happened to you. Be grateful no one was injured.
As a previous poster has said, "Mentally prepare yourself for the damage to surpass the value of the boat."
I see now that it's a '72 Islander. Start deciding now if you can figure out a way to do the repairs yourself or do you know someone who can help you... IF the insurance company will pay you for the boat then allow you to buy it back for less than $1000.

From the picture I can see some hull to deck joint damage... that will probably total it or repairs (even if you buy the boat back and do them yourself) will be costly and messy.

If you plan on continuing to live aboard, prepare to walk away and start shopping for another boat.

If you plan on walking away, start by getting everything that is not bolted down off the boat before you sign anything. Remove any electronics that are worth saving and moving to your next boat. The insurance company will probably only give you what the book value is.

1978 Islander Price, 1978 Islander Value & Used 1978 Islander Specs | NADAguides | NADA Marine Appraisal Guides
Old 07-25-2012

cktalons is on a distinguished road

Wow, thanks for all the advice, guys.

I do have a witness to the accident, but let me give you the bullet points.

Accident happened around 3:30 while I was ashore, and thank goodness for that. The boat was hit so hard I could've been seriously injured.

The powerboater left a note in my cockpit acknowledging that he hit me, saying he lost control of one of his engines. He later said his transmission went out. I'm not sure what happened, but the witness said the boater collided into Libby under great power while trying to anchor and hit me more than once and pushed the boat. My boat was securely anchored and thus didn't give. She was and still is well out of the traffic lanes. This happened in Liberty Bay, which is one of the largest anchorages in the PNW. Both the police officer and I questioned how anyone could be struck in such a large anchorage. Whether it was the boater's transmission, engine control loss, or something else, I'm going to leave the investigation up to the police.

I've taken pictures of the hole, both from the inside and the outside. The boater and his wife came over later, as I was in a stake of shock and panic, and wrapped up the area with plastic wrap and duct tape.

I don't want to get into too many specifics regards the boater's identity or type of boat, but the boat was a powerful one and hit me hard. His insurance is BoatUS, so I'm hopeful. I've mentally prepared that the costs of repair may exceed the purchase price of the boat, but that's also a bummer. The boats on the market today, in my area and my price range, don't come close to my Libby. I got her for a great deal. Right now I'm gathering as much advice and information as I can before taking action.

Thank you all so much for the offers of help and advice, and I appreciate the referrals to reputable shipwrights and boatyards in the Pacific Northwest.
Old 07-25-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Typically, if the estimated cost of repairs is greater then 50% of the boats insured value, the insurance co. will deem it a Constructive (?) Total Loss, or CTL. If they deem it a CTL then they would pay you the insured value of your boat - but they will then own your boat. This is why some have mentioned 'buying your boat back' from the insurer for, say, $1000. You would then use the remainder of the claim money to repair your boat, or, take the entire claim and buy a new boat (leaving your damaged boat as property of Boat US).
My boat was badly damaged from running away from her mooring in a storm. It was declared a 'CTL'. We bought it back for $800 and took the remainder of the money to repair and replace the damages. The following year we were NOT able to get insurance from any provider because of the 'CTL' (Boat US dropped us like a hot potato). One of their up front 'red flag' questions when you apply for a marine policy is "Have you incurred a CTL within the last 3 years?".
I'm not sure how this will work out for you as Boat US is the insurer of another boater who was at fault.
My point is that you need to be a bit careful here. Padding the repair estimate can back fire on you if you subsequently can't get insurance because of another persons mistake. If the repair estimate is less than 50% of the boats value you should be ok. I strongly urge you to contact your insurer to find out what your options are.

Pictures often don't do justice in this case but the damage you incurred is repairable to a like new condition. Off the top of my head I'd guess that the materials for the repair should not cost more then $1K but the labor rate can be quite high and add up quickly.

You might want to talk to Charles Bagget: Baggett and Sons Marine Restoration

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Jeez that sucks CK. I hope this works out for you.

And +1 on Caleb's receommendation of Charlie. Seriously good guy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-25-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Typically, if the estimated cost of repairs is greater then 50% of the boats insured value, the insurance co. will deem it a Constructive (?) Total Loss, or CTL. If they deem it a CTL then they would pay you the insured value of your boat - but they will then own your boat. This is why some have mentioned 'buying your boat back' from the insurer for, say, $1000. You would then use the remainder of the claim money to repair your boat, or, take the entire claim and buy a new boat (leaving your damaged boat as property of Boat US).
My boat was badly damaged from running away from her mooring in a storm. It was declared a 'CTL'. We bought it back for $800 and took the remainder of the money to repair and replace the damages. The following year we were NOT able to get insurance from any provider because of the 'CTL' (Boat US dropped us like a hot potato). One of their up front 'red flag' questions when you apply for a marine policy is "Have you incurred a CTL within the last 3 years?".
I'm not sure how this will work out for you as Boat US is the insurer of another boater who was at fault.
My point is that you need to be a bit careful here. Padding the repair estimate can back fire on you if you subsequently can't get insurance because of another persons mistake. If the repair estimate is less than 50% of the boats value you should be ok. I strongly urge you to contact your insurer to find out what your options are.

Pictures often don't do justice in this case but the damage you incurred is repairable to a like new condition. Off the top of my head I'd guess that the materials for the repair should not cost more then $1K but the labor rate can be quite high and add up quickly.

You might want to talk to Charles Bagget: Baggett and Sons Marine Restoration
I second the vote for Baggett and Sons, they will only take on a job if they can to do top notch work, and they are less expensive than most boat yards as they have fairly recently just started the company. I am sure he would give honest advice and if he does not want to do the work, he will surely send you in the right direction. I don't know him personally, but have seen his work and it is top notch.

Glad no one was hurt! (even the power boater) Injuries can really ramp up the situation as liability can be much bigger. Plus we never want to see one of our members get injured.

Last edited by miatapaul; 07-25-2012 at 05:20 PM.