Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: My Boat was Hit Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
This is a dead end idea ... the legal costs of any such litigation would likely exceed the value of the boat, tough to get such a proposition to work out, since here in the USA you can't get the loser to pick up your legal costs...
Maybe so, but defending themselves might exceed the cost to finish the repairs as well. A single threatening legal letter is pretty cheap. Start with good faith, get a thorough estimate and present it to the offender.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Go a few rounds with these guys:

You'll be fine.
Smack, I love your home videos!
Old 07-26-2012

cktalons is on a distinguished road

I'd rather not sue. It's a mess I simply don't want to deal with. If the situation takes a turn for the worst, I'll explore the option, but for right now, the process is going well enough. Today I'm waiting on cost estimates to repair. Ideally I want the boat fixed, I'm not interested in having a different boat (there's not one on the market that tickles me, anyway). My dream boat is a Tashiba, and those are well out of my price range, even if the boat was totaled and I got some kind of settlement. I'm happy with my Islander and want her fixed.

I'll keep you all updated with what happens next. More waiting...
Old 07-26-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I'm just curiuos, How does this guy seem to feel and what is his story? When I crashed my power boat in to the dock it was due to mechanical failure. Was that the case or was he just zooming out of control through an anchorage. Is he seriously humbled or was he drinkng?
Old 07-26-2012

cktalons is on a distinguished road

Capt.aaron,
Fantastic question. I'm anchored in Liberty Bay, WA, which is an enormous anchorage. My boat is a long ways from the traffic coming into and out of the marina. The accident happened on a Tuesday, not on a busy weekend. How this guy hit me, in all that space, when I was out in the boonies, is a real head-scratcher. You, me, the police officer, the insurance surveyor, and the boat yard Rep who came out this morning, as well as everyone I've talked to, would love to know how I got hit. Yep. A puzzler.

The boater had a couple of stories. He left a note in my cockpit saying he lost control of one of his engines while trying to anchor. When he came aboard to tape up the holes he put into my boat, he said it was a transmission problem. I have no idea. I cannot say if there was alcohol involved, nor do I know if the police officer performed any tests.

SmackDaddy, I'd kick those guys butts no problem. Though I think I look about the same when I'm sparring someone...
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 07-26-2012

bandaidmd is on a distinguished road

both of his storys could be describing the same thing, he seems repentant since hes helping with the temporary repairs.
Jgbrown likes this.
Old 07-26-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Sounds like he was drink'n. Too bad they did'nt get his blood alcohol. But hey, I love my boat, it was my grand pa's, I sailed on her as a tot and have lived on her off and on my whole life. She sunk on me when I was visiting my Mom for thanksgivivng 18 years ago, I suspected a local salvager of sabotage. The very next month I went home for christmas and she sunk again!!!!! this time the rudder had fallen out and the water came thru a poorly designed packing gland system, But I had spent all my money on the first sinking. I had to camp on a near by island and make a teepee out of my sails and live like that for a month looking out at my mast sticking out of the water untill I could afford to raise it. That's actually when I met my wife, so look how fortunate my misfortune was. My point is I think you are going to fix this in a timely fashion and I don't think it's totaled your boat. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Sounds like he was drink'n. Too bad they did'nt get his blood alcohol. But hey, I love my boat, it was my grand pa's, I sailed on her as a tot and have lived on her off and on my whole life. She sunk on me when I was visiting my Mom for thanksgivivng 18 years ago, I suspected a local salvager of sabotage. The very next month I went home for christmas and she sunk again!!!!! this time the rudder had fallen out and the water came thru a poorly designed packing gland system, But I had spent all my money on the first sinking. I had to camp on a near by island and make a teepee out of my sails and live like that for a month looking out at my mast sticking out of the water untill I could afford to raise it. That's actually when I met my wife, so look how fortunate my misfortune was. My point is I think you are going to fix this in a timely fashion and I don't think it's totaled your boat. Good luck.
It is actually a good thing they did not, because some insurance policies are written as to deny any coverage if they had been drinking. So it could turn into a real battle and end up with nothing but a lien on a house. I have seen this a lot with car crashes. Insurance companies are always looking for a way to weasel out of a claim.
Old 07-26-2012

Jetexas is on a distinguished road

My condolences, Courtney. You and Riley are welcome on my boat while Libby gets repaired -- unfortunately, it's in Texas.
Old 07-26-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
My condolences, Courtney. You and Riley are welcome on my boat while Libby gets repaired -- fortunately, it's in Texas.
Fixed it for you.

Dude! Show some swagger!
cktalons and Jetexas like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40