Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: My Boat was Hit Bad

There is a boat in the UK that was T boned at the start of the Round the Island race. The damage extended down to the waterline.

There is a thread running on the repairs with pics. It may be of interest to you.

CLICKY.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2012

WildJasmine is on a distinguished road

Hey, sorry to hear about your boat. Hopefully your dog was not on board when this happened?

That is a big fear of mine, something happening while we are away and our dog and cat's safety is out of our hands.

Good luck with dealing with the insurance company, Boat US is normally pretty easy to work with. Hopefully the damage isn't too bad and you can get back to sailing soon.
Old 07-30-2012

cktalons is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildJasmine View Post
Hey, sorry to hear about your boat. Hopefully your dog was not on board when this happened?

That is a big fear of mine, something happening while we are away and our dog and cat's safety is out of our hands.

Good luck with dealing with the insurance company, Boat US is normally pretty easy to work with. Hopefully the damage isn't too bad and you can get back to sailing soon.
Thanks WildJasmine. Riley and I were both ashore at the time of impact. He goes everywhere with me and has only been left on the boat a handful of times, when I'm anchored. Docked is another story.

I too am hopeful that the boat will be repaired. Right now it's a matter of numbers and whether the insurance company will pay to repair it or try to total it. It'll be close, I think.
Old 07-30-2012

fendertweed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspiker View Post
If you have to move out because of repairs you might be able to get reimbursed for the cost of living someplace else while your home is being fixed.
not too likely, right? loss of use is only covered for commercially documented use IIRC but I with CK lots of luck, Catalyst was out of commission all of last year after our neighbor hit ... this looks fixable but still a royal PITA.

Pearson 26 #1200
Old 07-30-2012

cktalons is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendertweed View Post
not too likely, right? loss of use is only covered for commercially documented use IIRC but I with CK lots of luck, Catalyst was out of commission all of last year after our neighbor hit ... this looks fixable but still a royal PITA.
I seems logical, but sometimes insurance companies don't trade in logic. I'm still aboard my boat, the hole is patched up. Last night I cleared out as much of the fiberglass shards and wood splinters from the v-berth and slept there, which was nice to do. Before I'd drop the table in the salon and sleep there, but that had a way of shrinking my livable space in half, which didn't do my sanity well.

Fact is, it would be hard for me to stay in a hotel with a dog and living on the Paleolithic diet. I'd need my own kitchen. When and if the boat is repaired, that's another matter. I have some legal people looking into my options.

This is a disconcerting ordeal. I want it over. Now. Thanks for the continued support, guys.
Old 07-30-2012

Jetexas is on a distinguished road

Extended Stay hotels have kitchens and allow dogs.

Even if they can do repairs in the water and work around you, the fumes are going to be too strong to stay on the boat until it all cures.
Old 07-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear you're getting some legal advice and hope you can recover without having to get adversarial. I understand you prefer not to, but be sure to defend yourself. Good luck.
HDChopper likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-30-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Just went through this myself but here in Oz. First thing contact your insurance tell them what happened ASAP and inform them, you are going to claim on the other party's insurance (this covers you, should the other party's insurer tries to weasel out) If you don't have insurance (which is my guess), what ever you do do not tell their insurer this ( as I use an offshore company I would loose some of my no claim bonus so it was not a fib in my case, but the other party insurer did query why I was not using my insurer) Get 2 independent quotes from the best ship rites in your area and a quote from 2 nice motels ( mine offered a flat nightly rate for accommodation). I did not get a survey as I trusted the ship rite and my own observation and experience. Good luck.
This was what I had to contend with S.V. GOODONYA: WHAT A DAY!
Simon, I've only just seen this. Good heavens and thanks be that you are both OK. W saw your post yesterday and told me about it. I think I'm in as much shock as you were back then. What is your situation now ?

Regards

Andrew

ps - just finished reading the blog ... all is good and you seem to be getting by .... cheers to you both. ab.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 07-30-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Holy crap Simon!!! That was some nasty shrapnel! What blew?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-31-2012

BentSailor will become famous soon enough

@cktalons: I sympathise with your plight. It's never a good thing having to wait on beauracrats to decide the future of your home. Been following the details of your predicament over on CA. Any news yet on the costs to fix?

@SimonV:
And here I thought sailing was about as far as I could get away from explosions and shrapnel damage! What caused it?