Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Re: My Boat was Hit Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSailor View Post
@cktalons: I sympathise with your plight. It's never a good thing having to wait on beauracrats to decide the future of your home. Been following the details of your predicament over on CA. Any news yet on the costs to fix?

@SimonV:
And here I thought sailing was about as far as I could get away from explosions and shrapnel damage! What caused it?
The boat sank and after sitting on the hard for 18 months was bought from the insurance company then on sold to the new owner who stripped it out and spent close to 50K on refitting. It had just been re launched to finish the fit out, But no one had got around to checking the hot water services. So a frozen safety valve caused a steam explosion.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2012

BentSailor will become famous soon enough

Note to self - check the safety valve BEFORE turning on the hot water system for the first time.

Thanks for the details, Simon. I can almost feel the physical pain the owner must have had hearing of the explosion that peppered the side of your vessel.
Old 07-31-2012

cktalons is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSailor View Post
@cktalons: I sympathise with your plight. It's never a good thing having to wait on beauracrats to decide the future of your home. Been following the details of your predicament over on CA. Any news yet on the costs to fix?
BentSailor:
Thanks. I'm cagey about releasing too much info at this stage, because nothing has been finalized. My prediction is that the insurance company, BoatUS, will try to total the boat, as the cost to repair is, for lack of a better word A LOT. I have a copy of the estimate, and to repair the boat will cost (depending upon how much cosmetic work I'm willing to personally put into her) between $17k-20k. It's likely that the insurance company will try to put the value of my boat lower than the cost to repair it.

This boat is a live-aboard: my home, not a daysailer sitting in a marina. All of this is more complicated, stressful, frustrating, maddening, and saddening because this boat is my home. Repairing it would take two weeks of being on the hard. Not repairing it means I have a hole where I live while I look for another boat to live in, which is more than just numbers and boat haves and have-nots, but the emotional aspect as well.

That's the update. The great people of both Sailnet and Sailing Anarchy have been so helpful and encouraging. I love the sailing community. Thanks for the continued advice, support, and thoughts & prayers. Everything helps.
Old 07-31-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

ck-
"It's likely that the insurance company will try to put the value of my boat lower than the cost to repair it."
Which is why it is VITAL that you speak to the state insurance commission, and find out how the law requires/allows the insurer to come up with that value. Get this in writing, find out the code they cite. Sometimes it can take two or three days of phone tag to get those folks so it may pay to make a visit.
The thing is, insurers KNOW that you don't know the law, and they will often grab a "value" by saying "Well, there was one sold last year in Maryland for..." ignoring the fact that the listing didn't disclose a dead engine and rotted out decks.
Values are for comparables, and comparable often aren't available, at which point the laws also usually dictate what shall be done. I have seen an insurer literally QUADRUPLE their valuation after they were reminded of the laws. The supervisor I wound up dealing with said the adjuster I had spoken to was a nice young girl and what did I do, I left her in tears. I said she's lucky I didn't have her calls recorded, she'd have been arrested for extortion. And she would have been.

As they say in the MBA-infested canyons of Manhattan, "Don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining." These people are not your friends, they are adversaries in a zero-sum game.

Again, you really want to have a chat with your insurance commission. And/or your friend the attorney.
Old 07-31-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

CK, do both you and the "at fault" owner both have BoatUS? You are in negotiation with the other owner's insurance agency. If it isn't to your satisfaction, have your lawyer serve papers and pursue a legal remedy. I am sure that the other guy has at least $100k liability insurance and if not, go after his personal assets. Something you might want to consider is reviewing your own insurance policy and “up” the agreed value on your boat. That way, if you encounter $15-20K of damage in the future, you will be covered (after-all, it only takes one bad grounding on rocks to rack up a big repair bill).
Old 07-31-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Courtney I'm curious, with you being a live-aboard has the insurance company made any provision for where you're going to live while the boat is in the yard being repaired?

Best of luck,
Jim

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 07-31-2012

cktalons is on a distinguished road

My attorney is working on it. I'm not okay with a boater ramming my home.

Jim, no, so far the insurance company has not tried making me more comfortable. They don't seem to care that I lived aboard. Hence the attorney's involvement.
Old 07-31-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Stay steady and, as I said earlier, what the insurance company may be obligated to pay under whatever coverage they agreed to provide, does not necessarily limit what the party that caused the damage is legally liable for. If they only had 5 cents in coverage, that doesn't mean paying it all to you is good enough. Get your house back.

Glad you're getting professional advice in your state.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-31-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cktalons View Post
...Jim, no, so far the insurance company has not tried making me more comfortable. They don't seem to care that I lived aboard. Hence the attorney's involvement.
I've dealt with BoatUS a number of times over the years and they always struck me as very agreeable and professional, in meeting their contract obligations.

Does your BoatUS policy have the explicit Declared Value figure, which defines the maximum payment for repairs/loss, and wording that excludes "loss of use" from covered damages? If so, to BoatUS this is a straight forward claim. If the repair estimates exceed the Declared Value they will quickly pay you the Declared Value and then own the boat. .

Now the situation stinks, I've been there myself, but it not the fault of BoatUS. You need to go after the other party for your uninsured loses.
mdi likes this.
Old 07-31-2012

afrinus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As they say in the MBA-infested canyons of Manhattan, "Don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining." These people are not your friends, they are adversaries in a zero-sum game.
Hey Hellosailor, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about insurance people.....

CK, Sorry to hear about your situation - hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.