Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012

cktalons is on a distinguished road
My Boat was Hit Bad

Today, while I was ashore and my boat at anchor, my beloved 30 foot Islander was struck on the port side cabin by a 30 powerboat, leaving a gaping hole in the top cabin. The hit ripped a stanchion from the deck, taking the wood core with it. The top cabin has a wide hole, fiberglass and wood from the interior of the boat, splintered everywhere. I've already had the police out to file a formal report, and the officer talked to the other boater. Tomorrow I'll talk with the insurance company of the person who hit my boat. My plan is to have the boat surveyed immediately, determine if the damage is a.)repairable b.)if the boat is safe to be motored or towed to a yard, or c.)whether the cost of repair exceeds the value of the boat.

The horrible issue to all of this is that I LIVE aboard my boat. I have no experience with this at all and educated advice is welcomed. A google search on what to do when a boat's been hit, returned articles on boating accidents. I'd appreciate stories from people who've been in a similar situation.

The good news is the other boater has insurance and has already contacted their company. There was no hit and run. Right now I'm at a loss, as my beloved boat has been terribly damaged.

Advice? Tips?
Attached Thumbnails
My Boat was Hit Bad-boathit.jpg  

Last edited by cktalons; 07-25-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2012
Gin Swilling Yacht Monkey

groggy is on a distinguished road
Re: My Boat was Hit Bad

condolences. good luck with the insurance rep.

having had this experience with non-boat vehicles, you should of course talk to your insurance rep as well to find out what your options are, esp wrt living costs during repair and stuff.

dont trust the other persons insurance rep.

you prob already know that, but im just sayin.
Old 07-25-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Whatever you do, don't take anything from the other guy's insurance until you have an estimate from someone you hire (your surveyor, your boatyard). Be particularly leery if the adjuster offers to settle with you right now, based on little more than his/her eyeballing the damage. Like groggy said, "dont trust the other persons insurance rep." A surveyor will give you a ballpark estimate, a boatyard will (probably) give you a much better estimate (although a good surveyor will consult with a boatyard when s/he writes up an estimate of the repairs).
AdamLein and mdi like this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 07-25-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
You might want a marine liability lawyer to negotiate your side. Issues can come up from left field, like the other party arguing you were anchored in a navigable channel or that your anchor dragged or some other way to negate your claim. Obviously you'll need a place to stay while repairs or a replacement vessel can be accomplished and insurance companies frown at liveaboards so negotiations will have to be delicate and finessed by a professional. Keep in mind almost anything can be repaired and while a huge inconvenience, there's always a lesson learned. The damage doesn't look as bad as it feels and can be fixed, but get a couple of yards to estimate the damage, don't rely on insurance companies to be looking out for you. Good luck on the repairs and hang in there, all will be well.
Old 07-25-2012
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

Just went through this myself but here in Oz. First thing contact your insurance tell them what happened ASAP and inform them, you are going to claim on the other party's insurance (this covers you, should the other party's insurer tries to weasel out) If you don't have insurance (which is my guess), what ever you do do not tell their insurer this ( as I use an offshore company I would loose some of my no claim bonus so it was not a fib in my case, but the other party insurer did query why I was not using my insurer) Get 2 independent quotes from the best ship rites in your area and a quote from 2 nice motels ( mine offered a flat nightly rate for accommodation). I did not get a survey as I trusted the ship rite and my own observation and experience. Good luck.
This was what I had to contend with http://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/what-day.html
cfarmer8 likes this.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 07-25-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

I am so sorry that this happened, ck. Hang in there, and take the excellent advice given so far in this thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2012

Southron Spirit is on a distinguished road

i would like to know what this guy was doing besides driving that he did not see a 30 ft sailboat .
like was he even at the wheel
Old 07-25-2012

captainrizzo is on a distinguished road

I am glad you were ashore when this happened. Boats can be fixed. You have to be thankful that you were not injured (guessing a lawyer would disagree) but I am talking about bodily! I agree with getting your own survey and I would try to get those costs covered as well. Best of luck.

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood. Just teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea"
Antoine de Saint

My Blog:
Old 07-25-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your accident. I agree about calling your insurance agent. Let them look out for you. Repairing your boat properly is in their best interest.

That actually does not look too bad although it is gut wrenching. I had a launch hit and crack the gelcoat on our home and it still makes me sick to think about it.

It should be safe to move but do not do so until a surveyor has a look. Get some metal duct tape and some thick plastic to seal up the boat asap to prevent further damage from weather.

Good luck and keep us in the loop on how this progresses. Hopefully you have some friends to stay with. If you were in Maine, my wife and I would gladly host you and Riley. Our Shamus would enjoy having a friend to hang out with.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-25-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Yikes!!

Others have given you more specific suggestions, I'd add: don't do any "fixing" until you have survey and damage estimates, but you can stabilize the situation - for example, tarp over that hole before your Pacific NW rains ruin the interior.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project: