Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012

utchuckd is on a distinguished road
Re: Liveaboard computing.

How do you all handle backups? External HD? Cloud/on-line services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
I have two external HDs. I alternate between them for backups and keep at least one off the boat.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2012
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
My current plan is going to be a combination of all of the above. I have a PC that will be staying with my X wife's and it has a bunch of redundant drives. I will backup over the network to that pc, to local external HDDs (one located in my car one on boat) and will back up to various cloud services. Most of my music is already backed up on Google Music but they have a limit of 20,000 songs, I have an account with skydrive with 25 gig for a variety of files, and may go with a commercial account for cloud photo backup as I have close to a terabyte of images. That is the problem with the newer cameras, they produce huge files. It is a pain keeping track with so many sources, but it spreads the risk. If I go commercial cloud service I will likely do a scheduled complete system backup scheduled when I have good Ethernet connection when visiting my kids.

Last edited by miatapaul; 08-03-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-03-2012

dongreerps is on a distinguished road

It is amazing how radically things change in the laptop world. Two years ago salesmen and repair men were all touting HP. Now most repairmen are suggesting anything but HP or Dell. My experience with HP service under warranty has very aggravating. It took 29 days for HP to acknowledge I owned an HP laptop whose screen failed 22 days after purchase.
Staples service has been excellent. They are always gracious, there is a store in nearly every decent sized town. Most important the repair guys are also salesmen. It seems important to them to build a happy relationship so you will be back for your next purchase. AND they ALL speak ENGLISH.
Not being a geek the following needs to be carefully considered. On two occasions we have had major problems with desktop units. The telephone service was pleasant, and both problems were solved quickly - in about the time I spend on the telephone automated systems at HP.
Old 08-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongreerps View Post
It is amazing how radically things change in the laptop world. Two years ago salesmen and repair men were all touting HP. Now most repairmen are suggesting anything but HP or Dell. My experience with HP service under warranty has very aggravating. It took 29 days for HP to acknowledge I owned an HP laptop whose screen failed 22 days after purchase.
Staples service has been excellent. They are always gracious, there is a store in nearly every decent sized town. Most important the repair guys are also salesmen. It seems important to them to build a happy relationship so you will be back for your next purchase. AND they ALL speak ENGLISH.
Not being a geek the following needs to be carefully considered. On two occasions we have had major problems with desktop units. The telephone service was pleasant, and both problems were solved quickly - in about the time I spend on the telephone automated systems at HP.
Most of them are made in the same factories so there really is not much difference between the brands, more difference in after sales service. They basically are all now contract made, by the lowest bidder in China. I was talking to one of my IBM repair techs (we are a reseller of IBM and other brands of Point of Sale hardware) at work. He was lamenting the old days when a system would not ship without at least 48 hours of burn in time, and there was actually quality control checks. But if IBM was making lap tops here in the US to there old standards they would likely start at $3000 and no one would by them. But they would out last there usefulness.

Funny how what goes around comes around. We were bought out by another company and they are closing the call center in the Philippines because our help desk in New York is actually cheaper per call and has a much higher satisfaction rate.
Old 08-03-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Dell do seem to have lost it customer service wise. Our last two PCs and last notebook were Dell, latest two notebooks are Acer and I'm pretty happy with them.

Tablet land is my next destination. Not sure which way to leap, maybe Acer again. Was going Samsung but keep hearing not so good things.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Dell do seem to have lost it customer service wise. Our last two PCs and last notebook were Dell, latest two notebooks are Acer and I'm pretty happy with them.

Tablet land is my next destination. Not sure which way to leap, maybe Acer again. Was going Samsung but keep hearing not so good things.

I can't wait to get one of these:

https://play.google.com/store/device...id=nexus_7_8gb

Made for Google by Asus.
Old 08-10-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

I own a couple of Asus netbooks. One is Linux (which I use for movies because it has better sound). The other one is used for internet, movies sometimes, and I'm using Polar Navy navigation software with a GPS puck (Win XP) as a backup for the Garmin 441s. I use stick drives for holding movies, data, and music.

Now that I have an iPhone 4S, I'll probably be using it more than the netbooks. Need to get a cig lighter charger to use on the boat. Eventually, I'll get a solar charger to use with the phone and the netbooks. Possibly next week.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.