Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012
Lurker extraordinaire

dgasmd is on a distinguished road
Re: Caribbean vagabonds or gypsies if you will

Always keep in mind that people waste a ton of money in things that are not necessary but rather a convenience. Take water for example. Everybody and their mother buys bottled water. It has become a custom now so deeply rooted that most people don't seem to remember that 15 years ago hardly anybody would pay a cent for water!!
BluemanSailor likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Cruising from Yacht club to Yacht club in the Eastern Caribbean, maintaining water makers and refrigrators, ac units and generators and engines and buying gas and deisel, is very expensive. Bare bones cruising from secluded lagoon to out of the way cay's in the western carribean is virtually free once you clear in and supply your boat.
Old 08-05-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Cruising from Yacht club to Yacht club in the Eastern Caribbean, maintaining water makers and refrigrators, ac units and generators and engines and buying gas and deisel, is very expensive. Bare bones cruising from secluded lagoon to out of the way cay's in the western carribean is virtually free once you clear in and supply your boat.
One hardly needs watermakers (and even refrigeration if you eat out cheaply) when you cruise near civilization. Its when you go off the grid that those exotic systems go from luxury to absolute necessity. Solar, wind, refrigeration, watermakers, reliable dinghy with bigger engine all come into play if you decide to go off-grid cruising. So I hold to my earlier statement...$500 a month is not likely in todays world.

And besides, who the hell is going to allow gypsies and vagabonds in their country...? Better to budget appropriately and *ENJOY* the cruise rather than it be an ordeal to survive.
kd3pc likes this.
Old 08-05-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Except for the fact that I do it constantly as you say "off grid" for much less than 500 a month. with no water maker or refrigeraion. My boat looks good and I am clean and presentable. Never been accused of looking like a vagabond or a gypsy. If I spend anything it's because I feel like it not because I have to. Nothing has ever broke that I could'nt fix with my supply of fix it stuff or just do without. If you set up your boat right, it's not so vulnerable or reliant on town. Then town becomes a place to visit once a month because you are bored not because you need it. The most relable dinghy I've ever owned was a dug out canoe, won't sink or break down.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-05-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-05-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
There is only one country with a 300 dollar entrance fee and that is the Bahamas.
this is patently incorrect, and you may check some more before...

I know for a fact that Bermuda has a $35 per person entrance "tax".....and if you stay a while, a boat tax....

and that Grenada has a fee based on boat length, per month, starting at $50 per month...and $8 or $10 per person - "cruise" tax per month...

been there and done that....this of course in addition to valid passport and visa (which almost always have some fee, tax, bribe, grease, etc associated with it)..

try noonsite for information on other islands...
Old 08-05-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
this is patently incorrect, and you may check some more before...

I know for a fact that Bermuda has a $35 per person entrance "tax".....and if you stay a while, a boat tax....

and that Grenada has a fee based on boat length, per month, starting at $50 per month...and $8 or $10 per person - "cruise" tax per month...

been there and done that....this of course in addition to valid passport and visa (which almost always have some fee, tax, bribe, grease, etc associated with it)..

try noonsite for information on other islands...
Hmm you might want to check my location. I am currently cruisng in the Caribbean so I know a bit about the costs and at this PRECISE MOMENT I am in GRENADA and am looking at my cruising permit receipt for a 44 ft boat. It reads $75 EAST CARIBBEAN DOLLARS This is patently correct my friend!

Now you may have never known that the EC dollar is different to the US dollar. The exchange rate is FIXED at 2.68 EC to 1 US. [ God knows how they maintain this but they do it has not changed for many many years I was cruising out here in the 90s and it was the same ]

So my permit cost me $28 US.

As the OP is talking about a boat under 40 feet their cost would be $50 EC or $18.66 US a month in Grenada.

Currently there are NO OTHER FEES applicable to a cruiser making a visit of up to 3 months. Noonsite is not up to date on this one which is odd as the current fee structure has been in place for at least a year.

Most other islands cost less per month than Grenada, the French islands being the cheapest of all at $1 to $5.

There is one island that does cost a lot and that is Trinidad as they hit you with a whacking $400 TT dollar [ approx $75 US ] fee PER PERSON arrival/visa but the boat fee is $50 TT a month. However most people visiting Trini stay at least 3 months so it is not so bad.

BTW I have cruised the Windwards and Leewards fpr many years and there has NEVER been an instance of any customs port authority or immigration officer even hinting at the need for " bribe, grease ". In fact the opposite is true as I have been helped to avoid overtime charges.
BluemanSailor and Shon like this.

Last edited by TQA; 08-05-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
There is only one country with a 300 dollar entrance fee and that is the Bahamas.

They would pay $150 if their boat was 34 feet or under.

Remember that fee is for a year and includes departure taxes for up to 3 people and a fishing licence.
Turks & Caicos since Jan12 have an entry fee schedule similar to the Bahamas
10 day entrance fee = $US100 - but limited to the island of arrival/clearance only.
90 cruising permit = $US300
Old 08-06-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Turks & Caicos since Jan12 have an entry fee schedule similar to the Bahamas
10 day entrance fee = $US100 - but limited to the island of arrival/clearance only.
90 cruising permit = $US300
OUCH My bad

They have really jacked up the charges since my last visit.

Last edited by TQA; 08-06-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-06-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

Ir's a new change and the marine biz people are not happy. So we will see what happens there.
Old 08-08-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I think we need more info to accurately assess the OP's possibility of living on $500 a month. He mentioned not including boat maintenance in this, but exactly what does he include here? Fuel for example?. Also would need to know more about lifestyle. Rum may be cheap but the mixer may be much more costly for example.

I would agree with one of the posters who mentioned the need for an emergency fund. We lived fairly frugally in the Eastern Caribbean on an older 45' boat with all the bells and whistles (watermaker, genset, etc) for about $1200 a month - for everything, but we had a considerable emergency fund if we needed it.