Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012

c_witch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to c_witch
Caribbean vagabonds or gypsies if you will

I'm looking for information about the 'True' costs of living aboard and cruising the Caribbean Sea. I'm not looking for the yachtie types who spend all or most of their time in the upscale marina's.

We are looking at a departure in about 4 years. Yes I know that is some time off and much can happen in that time. We intend to live on the hook the majority of the time and expect to cover the area from Cuba to the leeward islands / with everything inbetween then north coast of south america / central america and back to cuba once again as our route. Think of it as a kinda circular route.

I've seen that one can live quite well on 500.00 per month with this life style.

Please boat maintinance is a seperete issue and NOT to be included.

c_witch

There will be 2 of us and we will be on a 30 to 35 foot mono somewhat appropriately outfitted.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Caribbean vagabonds or gypsies if you will

$500 a month is not do-able in today's day and age. For a 35 mono, the *ENTRY* fee to the bahamas is now $300. The most complete accounting of cruising that I've seen is here: bumfuzzle | Cost of Sailing Around the World

They did eat out a lot and it was a circumnav, but a pretty gypsie lifestyle.
Old 08-04-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

I am a full time liveaboard in the Eastern Caribbean.

Can 2 people live on $500 a month sure, in fact I helped out a young couple recently when that were getting started cruising on a boat they had bought out here and their food budget was $400 which they said they were able to stay inside but they did eat lots of beans and rice,

Can you live WELL on that figure, hmm not sure in fact I would say no.

First of all you will live ' on the hook ' and stay out of bars.

Food costs are pretty high out here. So try going to WALMART with $50 for a weeks food shopping for the two of you.

Think rice beans mac and cheese chicken carrots, kool aid bananas cheap local rum and water. Forget apples lettuce tomatoes beer and coke.

Stock up in Puerto Rico at Walmart and in Martinique at Leader Price.

The sunsets are free and so are most of the reefs.

Last edited by TQA; 08-04-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-04-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

It's all about staying in the Western Caribbean, You can live like a king on the hook in Guatemala or Honduras for $500 a month. Even on the hook in San Blas or Columbia. Belize is as expensive as the States, I've never had much money and I've been cruising the Caribbean for 20 years. I would stock with 6 months of rice and beans and pickled and dried foods and spend most of my time in secluded areas where there is no place to spend money, catching fish and lobster and conch, drinking rum. And once every three week's head to town for a 3 day blow out, and then head back out to paradise for a few week's and round and round. Untill the money was low. Sail back to Key West, work whatever job, save and do it again. Last time I sailed down to Mexico, I had 400 bucks, spent some of that clearing in, and spent the rest of the 4 months in Bahia De Asscencion doing whatever I felt like, went out on a big night on the town in Isla Mujeres on my way back to the key's just to blow the money I hadn't spent.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-10-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I had 400 bucks, spent some of that clearing in, and spent the rest of the 4 months in.
some parts of the caribbean will cost you that just to clear in...more for extensions...some even exit taxes...

water is still pricey, and fuel even more so...

better to have some reserves, eat more beans, or get some up to date information. A lot of what is out there is old.

some still have the vagrancy stuff, if they want to get picky...

the world ain't what it used to be...and the idea you can have a lagoon to yourself is pretty much over...

Columbia can be a stressful place, as much is crime ridden and the police quite corrupt. Belize is awesome but as indicated almost as much as the states, especially up north.
Old 08-04-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road

this is totally a loaded question. You can live off nothing down here if you want to, but you gotta like isolation to do that. In all honesty you have a lot of time to save up and figure out a way to make a bit of money while cruising. SO look into that. I would say you could live of $250 a month, but i wouldn't. You an also live off $10 000 a month, but I can't. Find your own thing. There are cheaper places and more expensive. Do your research and look into it. Check in fees blow, but if you stay somewhere for the max time and go to fewer expensive places it's not as big a deal.

The bigger and more complex your boat, the more expensive your cruising costs. That is the only thing set in stone about the cost of cruising.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-04-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

There is only one country with a 300 dollar entrance fee and that is the Bahamas.

They would pay $150 if their boat was 34 feet or under.

Remember that fee is for a year and includes departure taxes for up to 3 people and a fishing licence.
Old 08-04-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

VELOCIR

I have no personal experience...although hope to. The above link is about a couple that cruised on an Albin Vega in and around the area you are looking for. In their blog they have a very detailed breakout of costs for the duration of their trip. It will be different for everyone but this will give you an idea of todays cost to cruise there on a 27ft sea worthy boat! It looks like they lived quite well and had a great time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 08-05-2012

bandaidmd is on a distinguished road

this couple discusses costs fairly often in the book dunga the island. prices reflect when the book was written in the mid 2000's but the comparisons between the different islands should still be accurate.

Voyage of the Play Actor
Old 08-05-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK

Interesting feedback to the OP.

I had thought you would need $500 a week not a month!

Granted my thinking was that some weeks you might spend that much, others not and the weeks of not spending would build the 'EEK something has broken fund' when required.