SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

30' Ericson, but head was removed!

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Jgbrown 
#1 ·
I found a great deal on an Ericson 30 for $8000 in good shape. Owner needs to sell. It's a few feet smaller than what I was looking for (I will be island hopping in Hawaii), but it's such a great deal! It was set up for fishing as well, which is a plus.

Anyway, the marine head was completely removed to improve storage space.

Does anyone know a rough estimate on how much it would cost to return the head to live-aboard condition assuming the plumbing is still there? And maybe another estimate if all plumbing was removed.

Thanks all! This will be my first sailboat larger than a Laser.

--Adam

#5 ·
Definitely give composting some consideration. There are three commercial units that I'm aware of. The C-head is the least expensive.

Many people have built their own units from available parts such as the Ecovita privy kit.

Composting is a more labor intensive way of dealing with the issue. But it also has many advantages.
There are some very informative threads online where the issue is debated pretty thoroughly.

It's worth considering anyway.

#4 ·
Just go to the Defender or West Marine websites and add up the prices of all the pieces you'll need. If you plan on having someone else do the work for you, call a boatyard or two and ask them how many hours labor such a job might take and what their hourly charges are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.