• 1 Post By BluemanSailor
  • 1 Post By ParadiseParrot
  • 1 Post By miatapaul

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012
Senior Moment Member

AncientTech is on a distinguished road
Solar coffee maker?

Ha! Good idea for those out at anchor. I have 2 of those short solar vacuum tubes in the garage! Wondering how the water temp/flow will effect the coffee flavor. I am so going to try this with my old busted coffee maker!

Morgan 22
Naples, FL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2012
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road
Re: Solar coffee maker?

Interesting, but 40 minutes is a long time to wait for coffee... and that thing is kinda large for a boat.
Old 08-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I recall having Sun Tea, as a kid. Just throw a bunch of tea bags in a clear jug full of water and leave out in the sun all day. I think I would just switch to tea.
AncientTech likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-08-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

You can brew coffee with almost anything but you could also do a little digging online. Coffee is usually brewed at something like 201? 205? degrees and there are reasons for the specific temperature, involving how the compounds are extracted from the beans.

The original Mr. Coffee used to have problems because they didn't regulate temperatures correctly, while Krups and Braun did. Mr. C. has caught up in recent years.

The megabuck espressomakers in coffee bars usually allow for temperature settings within 1/2 degree, and each shop decides where to set that.

So if you check the temperature needed and set up your solar rig to match it, you'll get good coffee if you have enough water volume to brew it before it turns into an all-day affair.
Old 08-08-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Yea, that thing looks like a fun project to waste some time in the back yard, but not for coffee on a boat. It is a lot of space taken up for one purpose, of course I guess you could use it for general hot water, that might make more sense. But putting a pot of water on the stove and pouring it over a filter is easy, this contraption not so much so. I wonder if you can get enough sun in the winter to use something like this for heat? That could be interesting, solar hydoronic heat. I'll bet those vacuum tubes make a big bang when they blow!
Old 08-08-2012

BluemanSailor is on a distinguished road

You can also make cold brewed coffee! I couldn't drink coffee for the longest time - I have GIRD and the acid in the coffee killed my stomach until I discovered cold brewed. Take a pound of coffee - mix with 8 cups cold water let it sit for the night , then drain/filter and you end up with a coffee syrup. Mix it with boiling water - you can make it as strong as you like - taste great even a little on the sweet side, so my die hard starbucks drinkers say!

With a pound of coffee I ended up with about 35-40oz of syrup. also I use this system..
Toddy Coffee Maker at Toddy Cafe: Cold Brew Coffee, Acid Coffee Low, Coffee Brewer, Best Coffee Maker
slax likes this.

New boat sailblog -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluemanSailor View Post
You can also make cold brewed coffee! I couldn't drink coffee for the longest time - I have GIRD and the acid in the coffee killed my stomach until I discovered cold brewed. Take a pound of coffee - mix with 8 cups cold water let it sit for the night , then drain/filter and you end up with a coffee syrup. Mix it with boiling water - you can make it as strong as you like - taste great even a little on the sweet side, so my die hard starbucks drinkers say!

With a pound of coffee I ended up with about 35-40oz of syrup. also I use this system..
Toddy Coffee Maker at Toddy Cafe: Cold Brew Coffee, Acid Coffee Low, Coffee Brewer, Best Coffee Maker
Yea my local coffee house (and now beer house!) has one of the fancy cold drip things that has swirls of glass tubes. I have not tried it yet though. I normally have them make a pour over for me.
Old 08-08-2012
Senior Moment Member

AncientTech is on a distinguished road

Wow, the cold brew options actually look interesting. Even some of the luke warm drip systems do too. I had no idea there were so many decent options available beyond the old school methods. Will have to give them a try soon.

Morgan 22
Naples, FL
Old 08-09-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

Why are his hands shaking? Maybe he should make a Solar meth pipe.
AKscooter likes this.
Old 08-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseParrot View Post
Why are his hands shaking? Maybe he should make a Solar meth pipe.
Hey if it took over 40 min to make coffee in the morning you would be shaking too!
AncientTech likes this.