Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: What is the best Microwave oven for boat?

Nice thing about a microwave on a boat, is that it works real well with shore power. And then becomes a very nice Faraday Cage for use when off mains power. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor:907385
Nice thing about a microwave on a boat, is that it works real well with shore power. And then becomes a very nice Faraday Cage for use when off mains power. ;-)
Make sure you put a note on the door before turning it back on though; your laptop may or may not like a jolt of MW radiation.
Old 08-10-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry, but the microwave is the *LEAST* used feature of our boat...totally useless. First, we rarely stay at marinas or on shorepower long enough to need the zapper. Second, it is an amp hog. Third, it takes up valuable storage space! More often than not, I find myself stacking things inside the microwave to make use of the empty space.

Once ours goes bad or is outdated, I plan on converting the space it occupies into another locker for storage.
dacap06 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to night0wl For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (01-11-2014)
Old 08-10-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

I would recommend trying to live without it for a little while. I didn't even think it was plausible but I haven't thought about a microwave in months now unless I see one in a convenience store. I'm glad we have the storage space and don't need to supply the hungry little bastard with juice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We use our microwave for two purposes. Reheating and....... as a breadbox. Seriously, store bread in the micro and it will last substantially longer than on the counter. Dark and no air circulation. Easy to pull out when you need to use the oven.

As far as wattage, it seems you would need to have one with lower wattage output to even be able to handle an exception on many invertors. I suppose it depends on your invertor output and house bank capacity. However, lower wattage take much longer to cook/heat, so I'm not sure you really gain any ground. Unfortunately, micros and house batteries are as compatible as nuts and gum.

Personally, I would get the highest wattage unit and understand it lives off shore power and the genset. Basic timer is about all you really need, all the silly preprogrammed buttons are ridiculous. I don't need a button that says, potato or popcorn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-10-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road

Mostly we used the microwave only at our marina. And mostly just to reheat leftovers if we are working on the boat...so I am also debating if I might not just want to not replace it and use the space to store a pressure cooker and bread box.

We have six batteries and a wind generator as well as two solar panels. Also considering adding a diesel generator.

Thanks for the info on the twelve volt coffee makers....was considering one of those. Am ditching that idea because I am really happy with our percolator. We have a three burner LP stove with an oven.

I was thinking that the microwave would put out less heat than the oven or stove, when in the summer and at anchor if it could be used with the inverter. But we have a grill too and use that when it is really hot.
Old 08-10-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
We have MWs installed in both of our boats and find them invaluable when in hot and especially humid weather. They're quick and heat the boat less than than when cooking with the conventional range. We also use it when cruising for hot drinks, soup and the like. Most products can be cooked in the MW and use less overall energy. We too use it for a bread box, finding it lasts longer. We installed a toaster oven on one boat as well, but requires shore power or the genset to work properly and the story is still out on that addition. But there's something to be said for fresh toasted bagel or English muffin with a MW poached egg that's ready to eat in less than 3 minutes leaving little to no clean-up.
Old 08-10-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

Little microwave ovens are disposable items. WelfareMart $50. If you're going to build it in, be sure to make (or plan to make in the future) a bezel for it because no matter which brand you buy or how much you spend, in 1 month they'll be selling a different model which won't fit the cutout you made.
I simply bungee mine to a lower shelf and pull it out when I want it.
Old 08-10-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I'm getting a mini-fridge and small, 900w microwave oven for dockside use.

I'm going to build a simple, wooden shelf to hold them. I'm going to toss it all up onto the dock whenever I want to go sailing. I'm not dragging that stuff around with me.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
The Following User Says Thank You to BubbleheadMd For This Useful Post:
scgator2001 (01-15-2014)
Old 08-10-2012

remetau is on a distinguished road

Go without it. We have been microwave free for years. We found that we only used it for reheating and popcorn, but when it died, we realized we already had a food reheater and popcorn maker; the Stove!!!

Tags
microwave

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.