SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What is the best Microwave oven for boat?

Tags
microwave
52K views 46 replies 29 participants last post by  arnavhussain 
#1 ·
Our microwave has died and was buried so we are in the market for a replacement. I would live one that works well and yet is small enough to fit the space....max 11 by 20" .

Anyone have good experience with one? Have you run it off the batteries with an inverter? thanks!

#30 ·
Yeah, I've come to think that sine-wave-ness and most of the claims about needing it or not, or producing it or not, fit under the general heading of "the check is in the mail" and "I won't...in your mouth".

Or as we say when short on time, "the check is in your mouth".

I know, there's real physics behind all the sine wave power issues. There's just never a physicist around when you need one.

#32 ·
Put popcorn in pan with a few drops of oil. Put on stove and done in the same amount of time as the microwave. If you want to get real fancy use a whirly pop, but any pan will work, no electricity at all and much much better popcorn, with natural ingredients. Though most kids are so used to the artificial flavored stuff they may not like it at all. I usually just put some salt on it before popping and I am happy without even using butter. I have not microwaved popcorn at home for years. Perhaps at work where they really get upset when I pull out the butane burner at my desk. (How was I supposed to know I was under the smoke sensor?)

#39 ·
I still get a chuckle that our number 1 usage for the microwave is as a breadbox, as I mentioned above, but it really does extend the life of bread and bagels aboard. I swear, I would keep it just for that. Nevertheless, its nice to have to re-heat things, melt butter, microwave bacon (which would make an incredible mess on the stove) and heat pre-made meals. We buy these at a local grocery store on the way to the boat and some are pretty good. Stove tops are quite limited in size and I've commonly cooked for 6 and occasionally for 8. The microwave is like having an extra burner/stove for certain things.

The thought of burning diesel vs propane was interesting. I think I would prefer diesel, but make no argument against the inefficiency of both. Diesel is just so much simpler to top off along the way and, for the sake of running a genset for 5 mins, is never so close I need to consider fuel volume. Sometimes, I wonder if the propane tank is about to quit. Pulling it out and going ashore to refill is annoying. (I know, if only that was the toughest chore)

#40 ·
Not only going ashore when cruising - it's hiring a taxi, or rental car to get to the darn place. Never in the centre of town nearly always on the perimeter in most island nations in the South Pacific and nearly always twice to three times the price as home base LPG.

Cabbage taste about three times more in flavour. You probably will never eat boil cabbage or steamed cabbage again if cooked as per above glad wrapped, lightly sprinkled with water by flicking water from a wetted hand. That's all you need

Butter nut, pumpkin three times the flavour and intense and at a fraction off the time. Gen sets virtual run on the smell 8-10 KWs.

At sea in rough conditions the less time spent in the galley, with the additional heat from the burners, especially in the tropics when the crew are in the cockpit getting fresh air with a sun downer, is a blessing that you can't put a price on.

On the pick or marina and guests from three other boats that have been invited? Speaks for itself especially if you have two or three microwaves as well as a 4 burner and a conventional gas oven.

Agree , Day old or 2 day old scones, bread, buns, on a low short heat and hey the yeast is reactivated. No body notices. Only if done above medium heat and too long they turn to rubber and as they cool go rock hard. And good for reheats and prepared pre cooked meals. Thawed every thing ready = in the mic and on defrost setting for ever how long and join the part in the cockpit on deck etc. until they are ready to tuck in.

Cruising is also about entertaining and saying thanks to all the people that invite you to their home for a meal. Have mics no need to go to a restaurant and doing individually but in one hit on the boat, which is a real experience for land lovers and they get to meet new people they would not otherwise have had the pleasure to do so.

To me this just as pleasurable as the passage making or the length of stay in port. Saying good by to all the good and friendly people.

How do you say thanks to a complete stranger in a Island state when with 2 minutes on stepping onto the wharf, you ask him for the taxi number to get a taxi and he reaches into his pocket, chucks you his car keys at you and says you got 120 mins. use is that long enough. Invite his whole family and perhaps his neighbours aboard for an evening meal before departing port.

I need mics to do that evening justice.

It did happen.

#41 ·
I concur with the "don't use it at sea" thinking. We have a small one I installed. When hooked up to shore power, we use it like we do at home. On batteries (including engine running), we stick to the old ways... CNG.

#44 ·
Don't understand the fear of using a microwave onboard? My 800 watt consumes 120 watts from the battery when I use it for 15 minutes and it's running off a 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter. I also run my 1500 watt induction stove on that same inverter and it uses very liitle wattage for 5-8 minutes I ran it. Battery never saw a flicker. I don't see what the big deal is but I do know the boat won't catch on fire due to flames from propane, alcohol, butane or other flammable fluids while cooking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.