Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012
Will work for Boat money

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road
Re: Do it all boat, Caribbean and Rtw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbzeer View Post

In my opinion, the first decision in boat buying is deciding what you'll really use it for. The more suited the boat, the more you'll enjoy it.

+1

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I am not to discourage you, just would be nice to see more people asking better informed questions and see they have done some research on there own.
If they don't know the right questions to ask, how are they to learn, unless someone takes the time to try and teach them? While it may take a bit more effort to explain, than complain, it's ultimately, more satisfying.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-12-2012
Will work for Boat money

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road

First Question yourself, and then research the answers , in doing this research answers will come, in the research learning will happen and in the learning limits will be found, limits will lead to more research and more questions, yes asking questions of others is a part of the process, the OP was not a well though out or well worded one, and in my SAR i did, as stated in another post , answer his request for a boat, but due to a lack of info on the OP'ers part the answer i left was not one that he/she is looking for.

I was in there place not that long ago, more and more people are asking the same unanswerable question, until they add in the needed information to help in answering the Question then SAR's will happen not always in a nice way not always in a not so nice way, not always in a way they what or will understand, but they will happen.

in the end the one seeking the info needs to do more research on there own, ask question's, or ask opinion in a manor that will get them a rely to there query not a SAR.

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".

Last edited by MobiusALilBitTwisted; 08-12-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: ..
Old 08-12-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

A Robert Perry designed boat would be a good place to start and finish your research.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-12-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Gozzard design- either a gozzard or a bayfield
colvin, depending upon how far you want to turn up the weird-o-meter.
Corbin, if you are serious about blue water.
From the pen of perry- beautiful canoe sterned boats,

Any of the above would be acceptable choices and all under. in some cases, well under, your budget.

Old 08-12-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

Beer is cheaper in Kegs....A do everything boat should have a keg locker with tubes running to cockpit.
Old 08-13-2012

Reefka is on a distinguished road

If time allows it, I would recommend cruising on as many boats as you can (even ones that aren't within your budget!). websites like findacrew.net were a good start for me to get a ride.

You will learn so much about what works and what doesn't work for you, what you can live with and without - I started doing that and ended up sailing over 8,000 Nautical miles on other people's boats before buying my own - my boat ended up being totally different to what my initial picture of what i wanted/needed was.

In terms of RTW sailing, the most valuable piece of advice that was given to me was buy a mass produced production boat - reason being that they generally have common components that are easier to find parts for in remote places. They are also generally speaking easier to sell in remote places should you find yourself in a position where you need to do that.

the setup that worked for us is documented here Cruising Yacht for sale - unfortunately it's time to sell my floating home.

Good luck and go for it, you won't regret it!!

Gavin
Old 08-13-2012

Kyhillbilly is on a distinguished road

MobiusALilBitTwisted wins the OGB award!
Old 08-13-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

OK based on what you say so far AND assuming your idea of blue water does NOT included a visit to the southern ocean or the Northwest passage then you want something like this.

A new Bombay Trading Company Explorer 44 with the CB option. Look for one that someone has renovated to go cruising and for some reason given up the idea.

Big cockpit good water tankage 150 galls minimum lots of hatches that open from the front good light air performance already fitted for solar panels on an arch [ at least 300watts ] the arch doubling as dinghy davits roller furling on both the headsail and stay sail but slab reefing on the main [ The chances of inmast furling going wrong are just too high. It is interesting to note that the big charter companies are moving back to slab reefing! ] a code zero on a seperate furler would be a good thing to have an anchor locker big enough for 200 feet of 3/8th chain times two a dual bow roller that allows for storage of two anchors in captive loops an electric anchor windlass good dodger with a front panel that zips out and bimini

Yes I know it describes my boat and she is NOT FOR SALE!

In your position I would not buy an Island Packet as they tend to be overvalued IMHO.

But any of the following would do the job

Beneteau Oceanis 44 clicky

Brewer/Whitby 42 clicky

Catalina 42 clicky

Hunter Passage 42 clicky

Be suspicious of any cat offered that you can afford - a good cruising cat starts at $150k min.
Old 08-13-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

hard to argue with that.