SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Do it all boat, Caribbean and Rtw (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/90849-do-all-boat-caribbean-rtw.html)

GCASKEW 08-12-2012 05:22 PM

Do it all boat, Caribbean and Rtw

So we have been doing tons of research and want to get a do it all boat.

We want to get a boat that will do it all and only have to buy once.

What type of do it all boats do you recommend? We are looking at an Island Packet type of boat. Shallow draft for the early cruising but has the legs if we want to go further.
So what else should we look at?

MobiusALilBitTwisted 08-12-2012 05:25 PM

Re: Do it all boat, Caribbean and Rtw

B40, get one

You have left out so much Information it is imposable to give an intelligent answer to your request, i have replied with my standing SAR (smart@ssreply) to this kind of Question. Have a good day

GCASKEW 08-12-2012 05:52 PM

Wow, lets see..
We want a good shallow draft boat that can do the caribbean but can also handle blue water. We have been pointed to Island Packet. A little heavy and not really a lite wind boat but can do it all.

As for the smart@$$ reply as you put it, why waste your time to go out of your way to take the time. If you've got nothing constructive stop reading and move on.

And people post question
on why not many people are getting into sailing... I guess its all the love that its being shown to new folks...

sww914 08-12-2012 06:03 PM

If I had a lot of money I'd have a cat. If I had a medium amount of money I'd have a Wauquiez Hood 38. I only had a little bit of money so I have a great boat that still needs a LOT of work.

PBzeer 08-12-2012 06:20 PM

There's no lack of boats that will do what you have set out. To recommend any one over another, without having more detailed info on what you want in a boat, is somewhat difficult.

Budget range, size, level of accommodations (spare to luxurious), type of rig, level of self-sufficiency, and more, are all part of choosing a boat.

killarney_sailor 08-12-2012 06:58 PM

I agree with PB's comments. You need to provide more information. Budget is an obvious one. Also there are RTW trips and other RTW trips. Some require much more boat than others because the conditions can be much worse. If budget allows, a fundamental question is mono versus cat. If we could afford it $250k or more, my wife would love a good catamaran - me, not so sure. I am currently at an anchorage in Indonesia with about 40 boats nearby. The only brands with more than one example are Amel (3), Halberg-Rassy (3), and Beneteau (2). The first two brands are quite expensive. The Beneteaus you see are usually quite large - the 50s are common or are in the Oceanis line. There is one large Island Packet in the rally but you don't see them that often when you get a long way from North America.

I think you are placing way too much concern on shoal draft (our Bristol is a centerboard with 5' draft and it was only useful in the Bahamas. Not a help elsewhere. If I was buying, IP would be far down my list.

GCASKEW 08-12-2012 06:58 PM

PBzeer,
Budget is $130k for the boat and the refurbishment and setup. This will leave me $75k fit the cruise Kitty and then or monthly retirement. I want to get boat that will hopefully do it all given the compromises in the boat design.

Id love a Cat but I don't know if I can with our budget.

Id like something in the 37-45 foot. I just do not want to get something so old it will takea year to get water ready.

MobiusALilBitTwisted 08-12-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCASKEW (Post 908606)

As for the smart@$$ reply as you put it, why waste your time to go out of your way to take the time. If you've got nothing constructive stop reading and move on.

Well let me see, 1) your sailing experience, or the lack there of. 2) Budget, or the lack of 3) time line 4) crew or solo 5) the list goes on, and this question pops up enough thet you yourself have seen then here on SN. The act of Asking a Question that is open to interpretation, is in face open to SAR (smart@ssreply) take credit for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCASKEW (Post 908606)

And people post question
on why not many people are getting into sailing... I guess its all the love that its being shown to new folks...

Love has nothing to do with it, the OP can lead the reader to ask them selfs is the OP'er this Stupid or Naive.

I was new to sailing and so was Every Sailor, at one point, but i failed to ask the kinds of Questions that the newest want to be sailor is asking, ie; read OP.

but in fact i did answer you request for a boat, you fail to understand the answer, the B40 will do what you asked and more, no i do not and have not owned, but i would love to one day, i am Quite Jealous of LandGull, Fair Winds

**** damn you see the lack of info..... " the Budget"........forget the B40,

MobiusALilBitTwisted 08-12-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCASKEW (Post 908624)
PBzeer,

Id like something in the 37-45 foot. I just do not want to get something so old it will takea year to get water ready.

I might take you more then a year to get it ready to go to the Caribbean let alone around the World.

I am not to discourage you, just would be nice to see more people asking better informed questions and see they have done some research on there own.

PBzeer 08-12-2012 07:24 PM

Old doesn't necessarily mean unready. Nor does newer necessarily mean ready.

It's hard though to know what kind of boat you want, when you aren't really sure what you'll mainly do with it. It may seem like a quibble, but a good boat for the Caribbean, that you can RTW, isn't the same as a good boat for RTW, that you can take to the Caribbean.

For the Carib, I'd want an open, roomy boat with a big cockpit, with plenty of ventilation (opening ports, hatches and dorades) and shoal draft. For RTW, I'd go just the opposite, as I'd want a boat I could seal up tight, was easy to get around in harsh conditions and where I could wedge in tight to the wheel.

For myself, it was easy. As alluring as a circumnavigation sounded, I knew I wouldn't do one. I decided to go Coastal, Bahamas, and further into the Caribbean if I wanted to, and bought a boat well suited for it. I've not only been happy with the boat, but with my choice of cruising grounds.

In my opinion, the first decision in boat buying is deciding what you'll really use it for. The more suited the boat, the more you'll enjoy it.