Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012
Custom User Title

Heinous is on a distinguished road
Re: Crusing life style vs giving back

That is one of the strangest concerns I have ever heard. Give what back?
Old 08-14-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

In only a few responses, what I'm hearing is that "cruising and giving back are not mutually exclusive".

Your friend can live on a boat, and/or travel, and still give back. It's all in how he chooses to contribute.

His question is certainly valid. I've read numerous articles about retirees/baby boomers who in retirement, are seeking purpose and meaning. Many of these people have retired from the corporate grind, and are taking low/non-pay jobs with charities, building homes for the poor, working in shelters and soup kitchens, etc.

He sounds like one of these people.
davidpm likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Love this question! And as DaCap said, among the most rewarding times we have had, are those where we were plugged into the local community instead of the local cruisers' potlucks. Heck, if we just wanted to meet other cruisers, we could have stayed in Annapolis and let them come to us.

Lots of excellent suggestions already have been made in this thread of ways to leave the world better than you found it. Everyone has to have for him/herself a reason why they're getting out of bed in the morning. For a good chunk of our lives it was a job. Then for a while it was sloth, the reason for getting out of bed was, well, habit. After a while, you realize that even the most beautiful beaches begin to look alike. So we started to work some other stuff into our cruising. While we were in the Bahamas, we were able to plug in to the local elementary school and tutor some of the kids in math. In FL last winter we got in with a group that dressed up as pirates -- but also posed for "get your photo taken with a pirate (cost $1, all proceeds to charity);" and living history events for all ages. Offbeat stuff that didn't require particular skills or equipment or major time committment. Art? Writing? In my case, a regular blog in our local paper to help non-sailors understand this obsession that half of Annapolis seems to have.

If you feel like you've made enough contributions already in your life, and have enough resources to support yourself in whatever style you want to live from here on, I believe you have no obligation to do any more. If you're lucky, you won't get bored.
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-14-2012

dongreerps is on a distinguished road

The. re is a significant amount of research bearing on this question, much of it coordinated by McKee MD when he worked for Pfiser. Men see life as a race to 65. They see nothing after that. Ladies visualize further stages in life out to about age 90. But most interesting is the fact that two years after retirement if you ask a man who could visualize nothing to do after age 65 what he is doing, his reply almost universally is "How did I ever find time to work?" in other words your discomfort at what the future holds is very very common, but experience of others is that there will be lots of opportunities for you to discover.Your problem will be to choose which is the most fun.
Tempest likes this.
Old 08-14-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
If you feel like you've made enough contributions already in your life, and have enough resources to support yourself in whatever style you want to live from here on, I believe you have no obligation to do any more. If you're lucky, you won't get bored.
See, it's the "enough contributions" thing that I have a problem with. It's like trying to measure something you can't define.

I don't help my neighbor because it adds to my "total of contributions", or because I'm "giving back", I help them because it's the right thing to do. The whole notion of "giving back" presumes a repayment of something that someone else gave you. An obligation incurred, and that has a definite amount to be repaid.

I don't worry if someone "gives back" to me, because I don't see being a decent human being as being a matter of quid pro quo's. I don't have a bumper sticker on my transom saying "I gave back". I haven't done anything special or extraordinary, nor fulfilled some obligation I owe, simply by trying to be a decent person.

It may seem like no big thing, but the way something is framed, reflects on what is inside the frame.
jrd22, fryewe, SVTatia and 3 others like this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 08-14-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I think "giving back" is well known as simply meaning "volunteering your time." I'm not sure that it's worth raising an issue over semantics.
blueranger and davidpm like this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-14-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Well

reading programs

beach clean ups

turtle conservation projects

animal rescue centres

lionfish hunts

I have done some and know of others who do at least oone of the above. No biggie!
Old 08-14-2012
Custom User Title

Heinous is on a distinguished road

I can't wait to not have to work every day, and I can't imagine ever "running out of things to do." That's crazy!
Old 08-14-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I think "giving back" is well known as simply meaning "volunteering your time." I'm not sure that it's worth raising an issue over semantics.
Having been put in the public discourse as "raise taxes on the rich" because they don't "pay their fair share", I find it hard not to see it that way.

Semantics aside, I still find the question odd.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 08-14-2012
Moody 46

orthomartin is on a distinguished road

DRFerron, I'm with you. Pay no mind to PBzeer, you will see he takes a position on all things, besides I don't think he is really even a cruiser outside safe US waters and in reach of the internet
When born so lucky to have opportunities and education (like being born in USA) it is a gift to ourselves to return something to those born less fortunate
copacabana likes this.