Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012

utchuckd is on a distinguished road
Re: Crusing life style vs giving back

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthomartin View Post
to return something to those born less fortunate
That implies we took something from them. Just by having something doesn't mean I took it from somebody else.
kd3pc likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2012

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Lucky enough to be born in the States? You mean the same luck portioned out to both Will Rogers and Clyde Barrow?

Opportunity is just that...not a silver spoon.

My aversion to "giving back" is not semantics. It is the attitude behind it that implies that if I don't give a "tithe" to somebody's pet project like saving turtles I am somehow less altruistic and not supportive of community needs.

It's the aggressive push of "community service" by those who think they are our "betters" that irritates me. Kids now have to have it on their resumes for high school graduation and entrance to college. How about teaching them to read and write and do arithmetic and to THINK?
kd3pc likes this.
Old 08-14-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthomartin View Post
DRFerron, I'm with you. Pay no mind to PBzeer, you will see he takes a position on all things, besides I don't think he is really even a cruiser outside safe US waters and in reach of the internet
When born so lucky to have opportunities and education (like being born in USA) it is a gift to ourselves to return something to those born less fortunate
I wonder why you felt the need to make this personal? Other than expressing disapproval for the question and the term "giving back", I have said nothing negative about any of the other posters. And I certainly don't question how fortunate someone is or isn't, before helping them. I help because I can, not because I must.
davidpm and dacap06 like this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-14-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

What if we change the title to "Cruising lifestyle vs. Doing something nice for someone else regardless"?

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-14-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

No matter how you frame the question Donna, it still comes out as a one or the other (versus). Whether it was meant that way, or even what he means by "giving back", are things davidpm needs to clarify.

I don't think there's anyone who has responded to this thread that doesn't believe in helping out their neighbor, whether they are next door, the next country, or halfway around the world. Helping each other is part of maintaining a civilized society and each person has their own reasons for doing so, if they choose to do so.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 08-14-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

John,

Maybe I read it wrong, but the way I understood davidpm's explanation of his friend's dilemma was that his friend is unaware that there may be opportunities to do something worthwhile while he's enjoying the cruising lifestyle, or after he has finished the "only cruising" phase.
utchuckd likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-14-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

I'm not sure what he meant Donna, as the thread title seems at odds with the body of the post.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 08-14-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
I'm not sure what he meant Donna, as the thread title seems at odds with the body of the post.
There always seems to be some kind of anger in most of your posts.

Why is that?

Frustration of some kind?

Lets try some Positive Waves Baby! Good for the Karma.
Old 08-14-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

PB, why get hung up on the terms used? "Give back", "pay forward" etc. We all know what the OP meant. No need to quibble. As Parrot said above- good for the karma. I help out with charities and consider it a way of returning to society some of what I was fortunate to receive. No obligation, just compassion.

Cheers!
Old 08-14-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

I too do not like the implied tone of "giving back". I do not think I need to give anything back because "I did build that" providing employment to people so if I choose to simply go sailing for any length nobody has any right to question that.
When I consider what I should do to help humanity, I think that I am doing just what I should be doing, I invent scientific instruments and will probably continue doing so until I die because i am unable to stop. There is no consideration of "giving back". I am the one who went without being paid while the employees bitched about how they thought they should be paid more. I'm the one who owns the old junk truck and a less expensive home and a small old sailboat so I could afford to sink money into my business while they all drive expensive cars and have nice homes. I am the one who gave up ALL outside activities for two years o concentrate on keeping the business alive because I thought i owed it to them. One of em comes to me when business is clearly really rough asking how stable his job is because he wants to refi cuz he is underwater on his enormous house. He's a good employee at his job and I do not tell him that I think that anybody who could somehow become that far underwater mustn't have more'n two neurons of economic sense.
SO, I'll continue cruising as much as I want (really not that much) several times a year while I continue to develop weird stuff most of the time. Do not dare question how much time I spend aboard my ancient 28' boat that is worth less than most of their car downpayments. Giving back? It makes no sense to me.