Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Re: Crusing life style vs giving back

Don't overthink the whole thing. I only had one question before I did this. Can I afford it. All the other stuff will take care of it's self.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

as far as i have ever seen cruising lifestyle includes a lot of helping and giving of self and abilties to others -- why should it be questioned as something one thinks of doing as opposed to just doing? isnt a big deal. cruising is actually not a selfish endeavor.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 08-16-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

The reason I dislike terms like "give back", is because they create a sense of obligation based on one's success in life. Helping others isn't a debt you take on by being successful, it's a moral obligation you're born with. If help is needed, and you are able to help, you help because it's the right thing to do. Where ever, how ever. It's no more complicated than that.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 08-16-2012

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

Giving back isn't something you do after you retire. If you do it every day, throughout your life, you don't need to apologize for enjoying the lifestyle that you earned.
Old 08-16-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

giving back can even be as easy as shopping the local tiendas for veggies and meats and other sundries--instead of always heading to mega or costco or other large corporate warehouse.

try it.
DRFerron and dacap06 like this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 08-16-2012

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road

I guess what I don't understand is the sudden sense of urgency toward "giving back" following retirement. I would think that this is simply how you roll or it's not. And if you are naturally a helpful/charitable person, I would imagine that those opportunities will come up on a daily basis while in port somewhere.

As far as the somewhat sanctimonious aspects of "giving back", I think that's all a load of cr@p. If you're retiring from a productive life, you've already given plenty already. Time to relax.

Mike
Old 08-17-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

I think right from the beginning this thread has gotten off track by discussing "giving back". The real question is will sunset after sunset be enough to fulfill ones day when cruising. If not what are you going to do. It's really part of the bigger question what are you going to do when you retire. Most people I ask that question say "I'm not going to do anything I'll be retired" I usually tell them no you'll be dead. When someone answers I am going to go cruising I think the question is equally valid. What are you going to do with your time? Cruising does not take up all ones time and one soon tire's of sitting on the beach all day everyday. There is a lot of down time. For those who plan to cruise how do you plan to occupy your down time? For those who are presently cruising what do you do with your down time? As an example some people volunteer their time in some capacity "giving back". Some people spend all day on sailnet forums. Some people paint or write. So how do you handle or plan to handle your down time?
davidpm and wingNwing like this.
Old 08-17-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Seems like we are busy enough every day maintaining the boat, jugging water, swimming, snorkeling, bike riding, hiking, shopping in local markets,sailing, reading, watching movies, attending cultural events, contemplating our navels, having sex, cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, getting together with friends, beach BBQ's, dinghying around the wonderful anchorages, passage planning, navigating, stargazing, taking naps, reading books, trading books, down loading movies and books, fishing,dining out, searching for boat parts, checking in and out with customs, port captain and immigration, beach combing, looking at the weather fax, tuning into SSB nets, dodging fish nets, float and boats.....

Geez, how did we ever manage a job?

If you guys did not like the concept of "giving back", how do you feel about "paying it forward'?
davidpm likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-17-2012

norsearayder is on a distinguished road

i have spent on my last position over 32 years working in the public sector,helping my fellow man,now upon retirement its my time and iam very busy,projects crop up everywhere just on a more relaxed pace! peace
Old 08-17-2012
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road

We have been cruising for three years, so thats a few more sunsets (and sunrises) over a hunderd and it still hasnt gotten old. Everyone is different and unique and most are spectacular.
We "give back" by bringing over textbooks and school supplies which we donate to small schools. As well we volunteer time at various schools in the Bahamas. Add to that the conveyer belt of boat projects and you end with some really full days.
davidpm likes this.