Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Crusing life style vs giving back

This question is not meant as a put down of the choices anyone else has made. I'm just interested in if this question has come up at all and if so what is your thinking?

I suspect I'm going to get some strong opinions on this which I welcome.

I have a friend nearing retirement who has been a weekend and vacation sailor for many years. He and his wife are considering buying an appropriate boat and doing some cruising as have thousands of other retiree's before them.

The question is one of purpose. He confided in me that taking a few months off or even a year or two sounds plausible but then what?

It's not that he hasn't worked hard for decades and has the right to do as he pleases with his own money. But he worries that after a few hundred beautiful sunsets he will be itching to contribute to others in some meaningful way and not just be a visitor or dare I say it a tourist.

We have had dozens of threads about the perfect boat and how to successfully manage the cruising lifestyle but what about the bigger question. Does it really make you happy and if so for how long. If it ends up just being an extended vacation do you expect it to be fulfilling and if so for how long. If not what do you plan on doing after cruising?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Crusing life style vs giving back

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
This question is not meant as a put down of the choices anyone else has made. I'm just interested in if this question has come up at all and if so what is your thinking?

I suspect I'm going to get some strong opinions on this which I welcome.

I have a friend nearing retirement who has been a weekend and vacation sailor for many years. He and his wife are considering buying an appropriate boat and doing some cruising as have thousands of other retiree's before them.

The question is one of purpose. He confided in me that taking a few months off or even a year or two sounds plausible but then what?

It's not that he hasn't worked hard for decades and has the right to do as he pleases with his own money. But he worries that after a few hundred beautiful sunsets he will be itching to contribute to others in some meaningful way and not just be a visitor or dare I say it a tourist.

We have had dozens of threads about the perfect boat and how to successfully manage the cruising lifestyle but what about the bigger question. Does it really make you happy and if so for how long. If it ends up just being an extended vacation do you expect it to be fulfilling and if so for how long. If not what do you plan on doing after cruising?
David,

If I wasn't going off cruising then I'd be spending my last few active years jumping on and off aeroplanes and ships as we travelled around the world. Then I'd settle down in a cottage by the sea.

Instead we'll do it by boat though we probably won't wrack up as many frequent flyer points.

As for giving back , I had my first job back in 1966 and I've been pretty much working ever since. From here on in sloth rules.

cheers

Andrew

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 08-14-2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-13-2012

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
---- he worries that after a few hundred beautiful sunsets he will be itching to contribute to others in some meaningful way and not just be a visitor or dare I say it a tourist.
There's nothing that says you can't contribute to others if you live on a boat. Perhaps your friend has left his imagination behind.
Old 08-14-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Good question David. Purpose? Yes, difficult for many out here, and then not so for others. Since I started cruising at a much earlier age (37) my sense of purpose was to escape the daily grind of an ordinary existence. To travel the road less traveled, see new worlds, experience and live life on my own terms. Really interesting experience out here.

I think the idea of contributing to others is great, and we try in small ways to offer assistance in the many small communities we visit. My wife was a nurse so the opportunities for her were endless.
It does not take a lot of imagination to contribute, in some way. I imagine your friend could contribute somehow, someway, somewhere if he wants. Up to him to decide on how he wants to live his life, at sea.

In many area where cruisers congregate there are always some type of fund raiser, community awareness, school to support, hospital to be built activities etc. Have met many Doctors, Nurses, Dentists, IT, Builders, Electricians, Plumbers,Shipwrights,Teachers,Musicians, who give their time freely out here.
bvander66 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-14-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
David,

If I wasn't going off cruising then I'd be spending my last few active years jumping on and off aeroplanes and ships as we travelled around the world. Then I'd settle down in a cottage by the sea.

Instead we'll do it by boat though we probably won't wrack up as many frequent flyer points.

As for giving back , I had my first job back in 1966 and I've been pretty much working ever since. From here on in sloth rules.

cheers

Andrew
I think you will be one of the first ones to get stuck in when the need arises. Sloth is good out here, you'll blend in just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Last edited by tdw; 08-14-2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Edited my quote from previous post.
Old 08-14-2012

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Give back? To those who helped me build that?
MikeinLA likes this.
Old 08-14-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

There is always a Cruiser School or Building Project going on.

Hurricane's come every year.
Old 08-14-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

What an odd question ... at least to me. What does cruising have to do with "giving back"? And just what the heck is "giving back" anyway? Near as I can tell, it's that the more productive/constructive member of society you are, the more you owe society.
fryewe and utchuckd like this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 08-14-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

Giving back to a community is one of the most rewarding things you can do. One of life's greatest secrets is that you will receive in gratitude three times what you put into the giving, and that is in addition to the satisfaction you'll feel. It doesn't have to be much or often but I believe everyone should so something for their fellow man.

Certainly, previous responses have already captured that giving back and cruising are not mutually exclusive. I will also add that neither are giving back and working. My wife and I have done charity work for over a decade now, and I look forward to more of it in 8 years when I retire.

There is so much you can choose from even if you stop by a place only temporarily. Do you have special skills? Employ them! Call a church and see what local projects they're doing. Volunteer at a hospital. They always need people. Is there a Good Will shop nearby? They always need folks to process donations. Do you sing or play an instrument? Call a retirement home and see if they'd like a performance, or a jam session. You might not even need your own instrument if you play keyboards.

When you start cruising you'll find many of your fellow cruisers down at the bar. But you'll find the more interesting ones out and around town, and every so often in a place of human need. Why are they more interesting? Because they are more plugged into the locality and have more to talk about -- stuff that's happening right now right where you are..

Regards,

Tom
davidpm, wingNwing and aeventyr60 like this.
Pasadena, MD
Old 08-14-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I agree. Giving of your time to help others is very rewarding.

Cruisers may wish to consider joining Seven Seas Cruising Association (Welcome to the Seven Seas Cruising Association). It is a fine network of people cruising full- and part-time all over the world. Many participate in community projects wherever they happen to land temporarily or permanently. I help with the monthly bulletin provided to members and often I come across stories of people doing just that.
wingNwing likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne