Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Re: Thoughts about liveaboard

Speaking from experience, you want a comfortable platform to live in - preferably one you wouldn't mind sailing as well.

Lot's of internal storage. You'll need every bit you can get.
Heavyish displacement, with a fullish keel. There's wiggle room here, but for the most part you want this to keep you from living on the cabin sides whenever you get a blow or a rogue wake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseParrot View Post
Thor Heyerdahl got there in a raft.
Read some books , take a boater saftey course , take some lessons......best if u and hubby don't take lessons together
Buy boat and then sail it. Reef early and pay attention to the weather and the rocks.
You will be fine.
Thor didn't have two young children with him. If you want to do something nutty by yourself, that's fine, but once you have passengers on board you become responsible for their safety as well.

Please, let's be responsible in the advice we give out. The rest of what you said after that is more like it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-16-2012

Famoffour is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for the info its very helpful. The whole plan is definitely to live on it first. To make sure everyone is happy. Its just we are having a hard time finding anything out west. If we packed up and moved to fl. To find a boat than we would probably get stuck there. We have a lot to consider and to think about. But just saying I would never take the kids that far without a captain or much experience.
Old 08-16-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Read about the Crafton family. I worked on several of Thor Hyerdahls later projects and had the privilage of meeting him several times. I also was freind's with his niece and her daughter. When he did the Ra expedition, he wanted to bring Alex, my friend, his grandneice with him but her mother said" HELL NO". She was 1 years old. But he would have if he could have. He wanted to prove the Egyptians brought children with them to the new world. He settled for a monkey. Any way's, You can't put a price or time limit on seamanship skill's. And aquiring them with children on board is too dangerous. These people sailing with children are already masters in there own right. I cruised off shore as a child, but my parents and Grandparents were very experienced sailors before I was born. You can however expedite the time it takes by commiting to seamanship training, not on weekends, but on a tallship sailing school, Long term, one year at sea. I spent 4 years on one as a yong man. You can't beat the training, and there are quite a few out there. The kid's also don't need to make the crossing. Look into Big catamaran's, they have a great family liveaboard set up. I spent most of my childhood on the hook, with out a.c. or a fridge and loved it. I've known many liveaboard family's on the hook so don't let people tell you it's out of the question. But don't for a minuet think crossing an ocean is like driving a semi, or r/v, they have absolutly nothing in common what so ever. Send your husband to sea for a while on a commercial vessel, he can make money while he hones his skills and get's credentials. The right company will pay for his STCW, A.B., training ETC. and pay him while he's in school. Once you have the skills and the right boat, you have the world. Tug boat companys are hiring these day's. Navigation and safety at sea are first. The sailing part is actually the easy part so don't let that intimidate you.
Capt. Gary Randall likes this.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 08-16-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2012

Famoffour is on a distinguished road
Wow that's some good info about the schools I didn't know they paid you to. When we make this move we will be also changing work.so thank you I'll look into it.
Old 08-16-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Thor didn't have two young children with him. If you want to do something nutty by yourself, that's fine, but once you have passengers on board you become responsible for their safety as well.

Please, let's be responsible in the advice we give out. The rest of what you said after that is more like it.

I don't find Two adults with a year plus heavy experience and all the knowledge they need as well as professional training especially with experienced crew along sailing the Tranpac trip "Something Nutty".
Do you? Really? I thought not.
Read the Whole OP as well as my entire Response.Thanks

Look on SCCA website http://ssca.org

There will be nets to check into and people to help you with potiential issues on the radio the whole way. The Coconut run from Mexico to the South Pacific Is made by HUNDREDS of boats filled with couples who never crossed an ocean before. Many of them have children aboard.
Don't let let these people scare you. Prepare yourself Prepare your family Prrepare your Boat and Follow your dream.

Coconut run and Baja Bash is Sponored by this group.Good Sailing Magizine http://www.latitude38.com

Trip in question was just completed by these Sailneters. What is cool is the daily Video Diary.
http://cruisinglealea.com/voyagesonvideo.html
Capt.aaron likes this.

Last edited by ParadiseParrot; 08-16-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-16-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famoffour View Post
Wow that's some good info about the schools I didn't know they paid you to. When we make this move we will be also changing work.so thank you I'll look into it.
I was hired at 39 by this company and most of the new hires are in thier early 40's or late 30's. I had a lifetime of experience but that's not why they hired me. You can get hired as an OS. ( ordinary seaman) for a decent daily wage and work your way up to AB. able seaman in a year or so. he could work for the company that runs tug's to HI from CA,.. Crowley, or what ever. 3 week's on 3 weeks off. the tall ships schools are costly in money and time, but the experience is priceles. I've seen people go from sandy to salty pretty quick on the tall ship's and or the tug's.
Old 08-16-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseParrot View Post
I don't find Two adults with a year plus heavy experience and all the knowledge they need as well as professional training especially with experienced crew along sailing the Tranpac trip "Something Nutty".
Do you? Really? I thought not.
Read the Whole OP as well as my entire Response.Thanks

Your post implied that Thor did it in a raft, they can too with their limited (no) experience. Otherwise why use him as an analogy? I must have missed where famoffour said they had professional training, extra crew and transpac experience.

I wasn't saying that their plan is nutty, but crossing in a raft is. Just saying that it's easy since it was done by someone in a raft isn't a great comparison in my mind.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-18-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Famoffour, what is your budget for this boat/slip?
Old 08-18-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Thor didn't have two young children with him. "
Actually, there are plenty of replacement children available on the world market but Thor was takingworking crew and kids are notoriously under-experienced for that job.

Not to mention, Kon-Tiki did wreck and the expedition was concluded with a wreck and rescue. I wouldn't use it as a reference for a really successful sailing trip unless you're into the "any landing you can walk away from is a good landing" school.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.