Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012

Woodvet is on a distinguished road
Re: Thoughts about liveaboard

[The sad promise of what this brings is people solving a housing problem with a boating problem. Bums w/ a boat...
Brings a whole new meaning to leaving for the house knowing they have full access.
At the same time I need lots of time aboard to address the issues. It's not unheard of me spending a few weeks weeks aboard, eating, sleeping and sweating boat.

Last edited by Woodvet; 1 Week Ago at 01:59 PM. Reason: None
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2012

Sabre Dan is on a distinguished road

I saw the title of one of your replies. I agree that a power boat would probably suit better in terms of light and space. An inexpensive trawler-type might be a good starting place. My wife and I lived aboard in Charlestown(Constitution Marina) for eleven years. We had a 32 foot Ketch. You need to work out storage for seasonal stuff on land. Since you have two houses a shed in one of the yards would probably do nicely. Storage units can get pricey. Your fifth wheel experience should be very helpful You already know about life with minimal storage and tight quarters. Good Luck. Dan
Old 09-01-2012

Hawaiigirl is on a distinguished road

Hi there....We raised our son in a 5th wheel and we would have gone the boat route if we could have afforded it back then...when the boat market fell it was a perfect opportunity for us to just go for it...it was a dream my husband has always had in the back of his mind...I just didn't know it could become a reality...anyway our son is 22 years old...travesl with us in a 26 foot Westerly along with a dog and a pet squirrel...we have only been doing this for 8 weeks...it was EXTREMELY tough for me to adjust at first because I felt nauseous but ginger cured that...I am still adjusting but I can see it is going to be a really awesome way to live...much more so than the RV lifestyle...ask me anything I will tell you the TRUTH...ha ha.....
Old 1 Week Ago

CaptnBry is on a distinguished road

WoodVet; this should be in the book i've never seen yet, "What your Father SHOULD have taught you"
Old 1 Week Ago

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road

i Say go for it , you said yourself you were happiest when living in the 5th wheel and you are correct that your husbands skills will be an asset. The one thing that might be difficult is living aboard in Maui. I lived abourd there for 8 years but as you mentioned I had been on a 20 year waiting liost for a slip in Maalaea Harbor. I only got one because I bought a boat from someone who alreday had a slip and it came with the boat. I looked into moorings myself in Lahaina Roadsted and off Kihei but the problem is A. the swell is awful and very uncomfortable to live on a boat , most people just see it as one of the only places to keep a boat there but not to live on. B. Too frequently the moorings drag regardless of how well they are set up andC. Forget about insurance if moored ! Better bet is Oahu at the Ala Wai boat Basin, many liveaboards there. I spent sevral months tied up there and it was very pleasent. Getting a slip though is still difficult although there are far more slips there than on Maui. Im back on the East Coast now and love it here where living aboard is easier to manage. I wish you the best of Luck !
Old 1 Week Ago

John Casey is on a distinguished road

Famoffour, what do you think now that CaptnBry resurected your post after a 2 year gap?