Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012

Famoffour is on a distinguished road
Thoughts about liveaboard

I came across this community a couple days ago while looking for a boat to buy.
I love all the posts people here are really helpful. So after 2 days of just reading all the threads (well not all but allot) I decided to join.
I have alot of questions. We are a fam. Of 4 our children are 3 and 9.
My husband shared the idea of buying a boat and living on it. At first I thought he had lost it. Until I started reading about it. I guess there's lots of families who do it. We have have two houses that we would have to rent out cause we are to upside down to sell. But that's ok I've been renting one now for 3 yrs. Anyways. But life has become to complicated. 15 yrs ago we were living in 30 ft 5th wheel with his two children and I loved it. The freedom and no stress. I remember being very happy back then.
My husband has mechanical experience working for dodge. And can rip any engine apart and put it back together also the past 10 yrs he's drove truck and can pretty much drive anything. He also has been diving for 20 yrs. so I think with all the up keep that goes with a boat we have somewhat of an advantage.
I really would like some input. Are we just crazy? As everyone is telling us. We just figure we are not getting any younger 38 and 43 so why not. Our main plan is to get the boat live on it learn to sail than eventually move to Maui on it. We have his son there and other family members there. However they all work 2 jobs 7 days a week just to pay for rent there. That's not how I want to live. So our solution is this. Our son said you can buy a mooring there out right for 3000 but slips are 20yr waiting lists. That way we wouldn't be paying high rent. All suggestions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Re: Thoughts about liveaboard

Good Luck on your adventure, Look at many types and style of boats. If you will be mostly living in one spot and not traveling far you may even(dare I say) a power boat as they offer quite a bit more space to accomodate your family. I am not a live aboard yet but the wife and I are working in that direction. We mostly daysail and have weekend outings with the occasional week trips. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 08-15-2012

I know a power boat might be bigger and we aren't planning any super long voyages but I'm thinking what about the future gas prices someday we would like to be full time cruisers and I don't see gas prices ever coming down.
Thanks for the input
Old 08-15-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famoffour View Post
Our son said you can buy a mooring there out right for 3000 but slips are 20yr waiting lists. That way we wouldn't be paying high rent. All suggestions please.
Well you certainly have a lot of research to do. Boat to look at, stories to read, all fun stuff.

Since this idea is motivated by family in a specific place you probably would want to find out more about the mooring specifics.

Where exactly would the mooring be. Protected flat water vs. bumpy rough mooring field can make all the difference.
What about dinghy docking? Do you have a safe place to leave a $2,000 dinghy and motor for when you are on land. How much, how far?
Water, fuel, food, repairs etc how much and how far?
It would be great if you visited and got to talk to someone already doing it.
Be aware the many Yacht clubs have moorings but do not allow live-boards.

Good luck.

Also if you find the perfect place you may find it easier to buy a boat at your destination. Getting a boat ready for a long trip with no experience is bigger job than just finding a boat and moving aboard.
Old 08-15-2012

That's great news about slips I was told there where none. So I didn't Evan look cause its such a long way off. And I figured when we got there we could maybe find somthing. mooring is isolation that why I figured in staying with family sometimes and with my cousins great discount on hotels we could do that occasionally for like a campout. My kids will go to school and my son plays football so being at a marina is defiant ally the best option I was thinking worst case if there were none. I don't want to completely isolate them just a little bit lol. Home school is also another option if mooring became long term but football is always going to be somthing my son loves so I will always try to support that.
You are bring very good points thank you. I really appreciate that from Somone who knows more than me. We will being doing all this in baby steps so that the whole family is comfortable.
Old 08-15-2012

davidpm

Thanks you brought up some points I haven't thought off. Exactly why I joined this wonderful group of people. We are having our son check out a lot of the info over there since we can't at this point go over there. We live in nor CA. And there are not to many choices out here for buying like there is back east. Ideally yes I would love to find a boat over there but if we find one here it would just put us back a year cause we have to learn to sail. Plus we want to make sure we have it ready for the sea. Speaking of. How long does it take to learn the basics and before one could take a 30 day voyage? Forgive me if I sound ignorant but that's why Im here is to get answers and input I wouldn't be taking my children until we had much much experience
Thank you
Old 08-15-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

Thor Heyerdahl got there in a raft.
Read some books , take a boater saftey course , take some lessons......best if u and hubby don't take lessons together
Buy boat and then sail it. Reef early and pay attention to the weather and the rocks.
You will be fine.
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 08-16-2012

paradise parrot

Ha ha that's great I totally thought about those guys sailing over there just on bottle water bottles. Is it really that easy to learn. My husband thinks that it can't be no harder than driving doubles (18 wheeler) in LA lol
Old 08-16-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

New sailors in the 60's and 70's make the Baja Bash on the west coast every year.
This is not a secret club with secret knowledge. I have been on the water all my life and even in my teens managed not to kill myself. Everything these people need to make a safe trip is in books and the 101 102 103 courses they can take.Someone is always looking for offshore experience for there resume and if they wanted to find experience crew for the trip it should not be an issue. And as there in no hurry I am sure they can reach a comfort level in there home waters before they go.
With the Proper route it will be mostly downhill. Jimmy Cornell already did the heavy lifting.

http://jimmycornell.com/

Last edited by ParadiseParrot; 08-16-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-16-2012

melody1204 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the thread! You'll be amazed at how much information you can find on here about so many things. I'll give you my input on your idea.

First of all, like everyone said, be sure you do a lot of research on what will be the right boat for you and your family. My beau and I did a ton of research on the perfect boat for us when we decided to move onto a sailboat. We wanted something in the 33-36' range, and some of the 36' boats felt a lot more cramped than some 30' boats we looked at. So find something that is going to suit your needs and allow you and your family some breathing room.

However, don't just get a boat that feels big without doing the research on safety factors. Capsize ratios, motion comfort, etc. need to be taken into consideration. ESPECIALLY if you plan to cross an ocean. While people have done it with little experience, I would not recommend taking a course to just get the basics, "enough for a 30 day voyage", as you mention. A 30 day voyage is a long time, and so many things can come into play, that unless you are an experienced sailor, I would recommend finding a captain or someone to assist you with the journey. I absolutely love going offshore, but it isn't as glamorous as people sometimes think. Try going 7 days with no shower! I'm in no way trying to discourage you from doing this - just be sure that you know what you're getting into before you embark on a journey that big.

As far as staying on a mooring in Hawaii, it's doable, but like several have mentioned, just be aware of the realities. 4 people on the boat using the head - you'll need to be near a pumpout station where you can pump out regularly. Then there's showering, electricity, etc. A marina sounds like the better option for you, but they can be expensive. I'm not sure about the rates in HI, but I would imagine they are not cheap. Our marina fees that we are paying now in the Chesapeake are almost as much as the mortgage on our little house we sold to get here. Of course, we don't mind because we have some of the most awesome scenery, so it's a tradeoff! Much better than seeing our neighbor's unkempt yard every day!

Maybe you could start out by finding a boat and keeping her there in CA for a couple of years first. Try it out, get it ready for a longer voyage, learn to sail, etc. That way, if you absolutely love it, you'll be ready for it, and if you don't love it, then you can change your mind and move back ashore while you're still in familiar waters.

I wouldn't take back our decision to move aboard for anything. I wasn't sure how I would like it, and now I wonder why it took us so long to do it. So if you have the right frame of mind, and you aren't tied to a lot of material things, you can be very happy, free, and satisfied!

You can read about my personal experience with the decision to move aboard here:
Does Size Matter? | Vacilando

Best of luck to you and your family! Can't wait to hear how your search comes along!

~Melody

Vacilando | This is the story of two people, a dog and a journey. We'll choose some article almost certain not to exist and diligently try to find it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.