Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012

SeaSickFish is on a distinguished road
Bluewater Sailboat Question

Ok so heres a little bit of detail about what my situation is. I am 28 yrs old and I was recently in a motorcycle accident that has ruined my shoulder and wrist which has made me unable to work. In less then a month or so i will be receiving my settlement. And a dream of mine is to sail the world (big dream i know) anyway ive been window shopping for a while and tbh i am a bit overwhelmed with the different types of sailboats that are 30'+. I'm looking to spend around 20k for a boat then make the boat self sufficient. like a wind generator, water maker, monitor wind vane, etc. Now my question for today is what would be a good boat to do this with. i would prefer if i had atleast a 11' beam that is roomy enough to sleep 5-6 comfortably, and one that would be blue water capable.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road
Re: Bluewater Sailboat Question

Why do you need bunks for 5 or 6 people. a 30 + sailboat is a couples boat plus or minus a dog or small child at best. Go see a few boats personally and do some reading then come back with your questions might be your best bet.
cktalons and srqsailor like this.
Old 08-17-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Start by doing a search on bluewater in the forums. Lots of reading.

Now there is bluewater and bluewater. The boat I am going to reccommend you at least look at will be good for a Caribbean circumnavigation, would manage a trade wind circumnavigation but would NOT BE SUITABLE FOR THE SOUTHERN OCEAN!

Catalina 30. Do a search on yachtworld for your area and go and look at one.
Old 08-17-2012

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road

hello there, welcome to sn. I am rather new here but I really enjoyed the information and people that I have chatted with as well is a very informative threads. I'll also found quite a bit of humor and I absolutely enjoy that. In 2004 I was a victim of a hit-and-run accident on my Harley. So I can relate to what you're going through. I have found sailing to be the perfect therapy. You are fortunate that you are looking for a boat at this time, as the economy is, there are some really good deals out there. With your injuries you might find that a tiller style steering makes it more difficult for you. You might want to find something with a steering station and a wheel that will hold the Rudder and place if you are single handling your new vessel.I am spoiled by a good autopilot that makes single handling really easy.good luck with your adventure and if I may be of any help don't hesitate to contact me......Captg
Old 08-18-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Hey seasick, welcome to SN dude.

There's tons of info on here - as well as many, many salts that will talk you through just about anything.

While you're waiting for some responses you can start poking around in this thread: The Salt's Corner Table

It's a thread with some of the best info to some of the most asked questions around here - including yours. And you can see who some of the go-to guys are.

Enjoy.
MedSailor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-18-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

New York 36

Santana 34

Santana 30

Schock 35
Old 08-18-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

^^^^^^ One of those salts just posted ^^^^^^

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-18-2012

Sailboatlarry is on a distinguished road

I could be wrong in my thinking here (doubt it). You are looking for a 30 footer to cruise 5-6 people on? That is just not going to happen. I am not speaking without exp. here. I just finished a run from Central America to S. Carolina USA then back to Miami on a 27 footer with my Girlfriend.

My advice is continue to learn sailing then learn what you need to continue sailing.
Old 08-18-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

your budget is not really up to snuff for a livable, seaworthy blue water boat. Then there is the make it self sufficient thing...that alone could easily eat up your boat budget and then some.

All that aside, an older, well maintained boat may do the trick but as the others posted....a 30' is just not large enough for 5 or 6 to sleep and stand watch, unless it is for just a weekend thing. And then you all better be really good friends....tight quarters will bring out the worst in any one, especially those who have never been aboard a boat, or expect shore side comforts.

all the best
Old 08-18-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road

I think you can find all kinds of boats that will fit the general requirements you stated in your OP. In order to help narrow down what would work best, you may want to mention a few specifics.

Will you have 5 or 6 people cruising with you at all times or will it mainly be overnight/weekend outings with friends while you and 1 or 2 others remain as a permanent crew? Also, what area will most of your sailing take place and where do you plan to go? That can be very important. You may also want to mention if the boat will be your primary home. Camping for a month or two and camping permanently are 2 separate horses.

The more information you can provide as to what you are looking for, the more specific advice you will get. There is a lot of experience floating around here and I dare say they can point you in a good starting direction.

A word of warning; In any group you will find those who are smart and those that are smart-a$$'s. It's the internet. So, welcome to Sailnet, have a thick skin, remember the ignore button, hang around for the good stuff, and enjoy!
cktalons and Capt.aaron like this.