Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012

GCASKEW is on a distinguished road
Anyone living on a Gemini 105MC

What do you like? What have you added, would you recommend adding it? What don't you like about living on a 105MC?

Just an overall appraisal of living on one would be appreciated. It looks like we are leaning that way to retire and take to the Caribbean.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone living on a Gemini 105MC

we did for a few months...not the boat to take to the caribbean unless you are really careful with the weather.

I did not like:
the "RV" fridge..propane/12v/110v....it scared me the entire time. Were it my boat, it would come out and a marine or else just 110v go in.
access to the mechanical drive leg is a chore, and kind of rube goldberg
using the daggerboards required work that took me away from the helm
access to places that somehow collect water is tough. Were it my boat, I would cut some access holes or find where the water is coming from...I think this is addressed in the newer 105MC
tough to keep the weight off, while liveaboard

I did like
the master cabin and berth
the tilt up of the dinette seat, and the foot ledge below the seat. My wife LOVED it, as she has short legs and could sit there for a long time and still be comfortable.
stable, fast and easy to sail
cockpit is very "captain" friendly and still has room for a companion or mate.
she handles well under power
fits in a "normal" width slip
haul by a regular travel lift

We added the usual liveaboard stuff, and a mattress pad. Ipod amplifier.we added a fly screen to the main "door" as the slider was getting way too much of a work out. We added a step stool for some docks to get on and off easier, often we docked bow in, to have more privacy. We added reflector insulation to the sun side windows and used it all the time. AC only on the really hot or humid days.

All the best,
Old 08-24-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
we did for a few months...not the boat to take to the caribbean unless you are really careful with the weather.

I did not like:
the "RV" fridge..propane/12v/110v....it scared me the entire time. Were it my boat, it would come out and a marine or else just 110v go in.
access to the mechanical drive leg is a chore, and kind of rube goldberg
using the daggerboards required work that took me away from the helm
access to places that somehow collect water is tough. Were it my boat, I would cut some access holes or find where the water is coming from...I think this is addressed in the newer 105MC
tough to keep the weight off, while liveaboard

I did like
the master cabin and berth
the tilt up of the dinette seat, and the foot ledge below the seat. My wife LOVED it, as she has short legs and could sit there for a long time and still be comfortable.
stable, fast and easy to sail
cockpit is very "captain" friendly and still has room for a companion or mate.
she handles well under power
fits in a "normal" width slip
haul by a regular travel lift

We added the usual liveaboard stuff, and a mattress pad. Ipod amplifier.we added a fly screen to the main "door" as the slider was getting way too much of a work out. We added a step stool for some docks to get on and off easier, often we docked bow in, to have more privacy. We added reflector insulation to the sun side windows and used it all the time. AC only on the really hot or humid days.

All the best,
Hey kd3pc,

Since no good deed goes unpunished I wonder if you could elaborate on a few of the points you raised.

Why did the Gemini require more careful consideration of the weather than other boats? What weather issues are the boats short comings?

Do all the Gemini's have propane refrigeration and what makes it more of a risk than a propane stove?

I really can't get excited about the looks of any Catamaran, but their advantages for the way I envision using a boat (Chesapeake Bay and perhaps ICW to points south) are hard to ignore so owning a Gemini is a thought that crosses my mind from time to time.
Old 08-24-2012

Cal28 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCASKEW View Post
What do you like? What have you added, would you recommend adding it? What don't you like about living on a 105MC?

Just an overall appraisal of living on one would be appreciated. It looks like we are leaning that way to retire and take to the Caribbean.

Thanks
Only in my dreams ... and love every bit of it ...
Old 08-24-2012

Trying to take it from a dream to a reality.. Getting the kids to understand us selling THEIR house of memories is the hardest part so far...lol
Old 08-24-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Hey kd3pc,

Since no good deed goes unpunished I wonder if you could elaborate on a few of the points you raised.

Why did the Gemini require more careful consideration of the weather than other boats? What weather issues are the boats short comings?

Do all the Gemini's have propane refrigeration and what makes it more of a risk than a propane stove?

I really can't get excited about the looks of any Catamaran, but their advantages for the way I envision using a boat (Chesapeake Bay and perhaps ICW to points south) are hard to ignore so owning a Gemini is a thought that crosses my mind from time to time.
the gemini is a perfect ICW boat and for the bay...

as to the weather, some attachment points were not as strong as I would like, as well as a lot of glass work. She does not sail on all points of sail as my MUCH heavier Hunter or the previous Sabre, or as close to the wind. You have to leave the helm to douse sails, especially the jib/genoa/screecher...again that can be solved but at a higher price. She sails flat and has more bridgedeck slap and motion the more weather you get. Then there was the water intrusion into the amas (again some boats have it, some don't) not sure where or how the water gets in, but it was enough for one or two boats to become bow heavy and pitch or pitchpole. Over canvased? Perhaps. The Gemini we sat did not have as much weight added due to liveaboad as some others we traveled with.

Understand that we came from 15 years of CNG, and the gemini fridge was an RV model, open flame on the back when in Propane mode...not for me. I am not sure what the years were that had this, our boat was a show model and may have been a one off. I was told at the Annapolis Boat show a few years back that several 105Mc had the RV gear..

Were I in the market for a 105Mc, I would for sure chase down these concerns. There is an active users group on Yahoo and used to be "Gemini Gems", the catamaran company also has some very sharp guys experienced with the 105Mc.

It was, not sure about now with Hunter, a decent made boat as long as you understand the price point it was designed and built to, and were willing to accept the "warranty" as it were...we looked at new, delivered in Annapolis...and could not get more than a single year warranty on the hull, every other piece of gear (even the UK sourced stuff) I would have had to go to the actual manufacturer....buying used solves that... Hull issues would have to come back to Annapolis no matter where you were in the world.

Hope this helps
Old 08-24-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Hey kd3pc,

The Gemini's are plenty sturdy for anything you are planning on doing. The biggest issue as far as weather window is that they pound into waves due to the bridge deck height, likely true of any Catmaran. As far as I know it is not so much a safety issue as a comfort issue. They will beat you up pretty bad if hit rough water. Though I imagine if you bang around on the waves too much you might do damage, but they have done crossings no problem.

Issue with the propane refrigeration is that it runs even when not attended where the stove does not. You turn off the propane (at least with the solenoid, but should be done at the valve also) when not cooking, but the fridge stays on all the time.

They seem to be really nice boats and go like stink and you don't even need cup holders! But I like lead under me, so I will go slower, and be more comfortable, but will roll a bit more at anchor.
Old 08-25-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

The Gemini would be good for the Chesapeake the ICW and the Bahamas.

However getting out to the Eastern Caribbean will be VERY hard work in one when the short steep seas of the notorious 'Caribbean Two Step' are running. Small heavy catamarans do not do well out here.

IMHO if you can not afford a 40ft + cat then a monohull is better.

But if you can grit your teeth and once out to the Eastern Caribbean pick your weather windows carefully then it will do.

BTW where would YOU sit in the cockpit at anchor in one. You do not want to be inside in the greenhouse in the sun.
Old 08-26-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the first hand feedback. I'm not really in a place to be thinking about changing boats at this point and for whatever reason I'm defintely more drawn to monohulls so when we are ready to upgrade, I'm guessing it won't be a Gemini despite its overall suitablity how I'm likely to use it. I expect a Gemini would pound pretty severely in the "Chesapeake chop". There isn't a lot of bridge clearance.
Old 08-28-2012

In my case I think I can stand the chop for the times when it happens, when we are underway. We are looking to sail to location, spend a month or two there and then sail to the next location. We will be on the hook for 95% of our time and want something that is comfortable to live in while at anchor.

As far as the heat, we are going to install an AC as well as a Watermaker. Part of buying in Gemini is buying a used one and add all the creature comforts, such as AC, watermaker and still have enough kitty to pay for gas to run the ginny to power it if needed.
kd3pc likes this.