Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Tips for Living Aboard Catalina 27'

Thanks carl - but remember, boats ALWAYS look better in pics than they do in real life. I've just conveniently left the various stains, dings, etc. out of the frame.

That said, I'm pretty proud of her. She was seriously skanky when we opened that hatch for the first time. 1" of water over the sole, inside covered in mold, no cushions, no cubby covers, rusting crap all over the place, no functioning head or water, etc. She's come along way, but still has her wrinkles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2012

Chartreuse is on a distinguished road

I think the people on here are just concerned that you havent thought anything through, as opposed to 'dense'. When thinking of living aboard, there are so MANY things to consider. You must consider all the things that you would if you were moving into a house, and more- Where are you going to get your power from? Your heat? how will you refrigerate food? Where will you go to the bathroom? How will you shower? Where will you get your drinking water? Ill tell you now it gets real old, real fast toting water and gas for a generator EVERY DAY, and that is how often you will need to do it. Have you found a marina that allows live a boards? I will also mention that a 27 footer does not allow much living space at all. Storage is the least of your concerns. I have a 26' with 6' headroom, but I would never consider living on it-based on size alone. Good luck regardless, if you have worked these issues out, are committed and think you will be happy, go for it.
Old 11-06-2012

Chartreuse is on a distinguished road

Just realized that this post goes on for 7 pages, disregard my last post.
ALSO:
"you must not only embrace the spartan lifestyle, you must hump its leg!",
Is hilarious, and profoundly true.
Old 11-06-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks carl - but remember, boats ALWAYS look better in pics than they do in real life. I've just conveniently left the various stains, dings, etc. out of the frame.

That said, I'm pretty proud of her. She was seriously skanky when we opened that hatch for the first time. 1" of water over the sole, inside covered in mold, no cushions, no cubby covers, rusting crap all over the place, no functioning head or water, etc. She's come along way, but still has her wrinkles.
You did a great job. The marks, stains add character. I've seen worse over the past couple years and most of the boats cleaned up quite well. There's one basket case that won't sell. My buddy owned it before the 27, living aboard. When I first met him, while he was living on it, I was wading in 4" of water. He fixed that, sold it, it sold again, then guy basically abandoned it.

OP, send us pics at your leisure.

Last edited by carl762; 11-06-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2013

norahs arc is on a distinguished road

I have a C27 myself and have lived aboard for a month at a time . It does not have as much storage capacity as some boats and a lot of the capacity it has is under seats/berths. There is lots of room there but it is not accessable without effort and time so I would not use it for every day or emergency items.
This summer coming my wife and I (and the cat) plan to spend the season cruising the coast of Nova Scotia and the Gulf of St. Lawerence. We won't be at sea for long periods so I am confident we can carry what we require.
Good luck to you and enjoy the boat.
Old 01-26-2013
landofrainandgray

joyinPNW is on a distinguished road

My husband and I left all of our stuff behind for three weeks to sail on our San Juan 24 from Puget Sound to the Gulf Islands. Have you seen the inside of a San Juan 24? Small! But, what a glorious time we had. No stuff, just the essentials!

We recently bought a larger boat but not to put more stuff on it, just to have a head!

And, now, I'm getting rid of everything we don't use or want anymore at our home-sailing does that to you-it strips away the unimportant and allows us to refocus. It feels great!

I wish the OP luck and perseverance with a dash of humility thrown in for good measure.

Joy
Old 01-30-2013

Navigator Wannabe is on a distinguished road

Well, for a Catalina 27 my main tip would be: BE SHORT!
If you can stand up inside the boat, the rest is a piece of cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashlyk View Post
Hi, I will be moving on to a 27' Catalina in a few days and I have never done this! I am wondering if anyone has any tips for storing things on the boat, orginization systems etc. Much appreciated!
Old 01-30-2013

captflood is on a distinguished road

GREETING EARTHLINGS You have to give any and every thing a place and keep everything in it's place. Vacum bags help to store your cloths in, childrens lunch boxes store your small stuffs, keeping stuff together can be a binde. Draw an outline of the boat and sketch in all the fittings and fixtures then lable where all the stuff is (this can help to reorganise the boat into a working wonder) Get a GOOD SLEEPING BAG and use it tired boaters get real grouchy.AND MOST OF ALL ENJOY YOURSELF AS ALWAYS GO SAFE
steve77 likes this.
Old 03-26-2013

Thunderchild is on a distinguished road

Man I am soaking up all this good advice!! I will be on this site for month's trying to absorb everything!!!
Old 03-27-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
Man I am soaking up all this good advice!! I will be on this site for month's trying to absorb everything!!!
Enjoy!
Some of these threads are classics. Try searching Pit Bulls on board for an entertaining read

Tags
catalina 27 , live aboard , orginizing , storage , tips