SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Tips for Living Aboard Catalina 27'

48K views 85 replies 43 participants last post by  Nancyleeny 
#1 ·
Hi, I will be moving on to a 27' Catalina in a few days and I have never done this! I am wondering if anyone has any tips for storing things on the boat, orginization systems etc. Much appreciated!

#12 ·
No I lived in my Mommy's Basement playing video games until they died of cancer and left me the house and a trust fund. I am very good at Space Invaders since I have spent 30 years practicing. When not playing video games or spamming forums I like to get out on the water.This gives me privacy to take care of those issues that people like me have because we have no girlfriends.

Why would I live in a Art place? Wouldnt the Paint get on everything?

#29 ·
Seems you have asked questions but don't like the answers you are getting.

Filling pillow cases with sweaters is actually a very good suggestion. Many cruisers do this, to maximize storage. You get storage and a useable pillow. Sweaters are quite bulky so this really helps free up locker space. They are often not used for a long time, but very welcome when needed. Come winter you can fill the pillow cases with shorts and tee shirts.(just keep the buttons and zippers facing inwards) Not at all "trailer park."

yeah, I'm looking more for decorative storage advise, but apparently people who live on boats are not very smart.
Most people here actually sail there boats, even the few that live aboard. They are not interested in "decorative storage" but in fact ways that work regardless of how they look. If all you are looking for to get out of your boat is someplace to live and will never leave the dock, you are in fact the one looking for a "trailer park" existence. By the way I have known several very nice and well educated people who have or do live in trailer parks so I would not use that as a pejorative.

If you are looking for suggestions on "decorative storage" I am sure HGTV has a nice design webpage.

I don't have that much stuff - I am thinking about building a shelving unit for shoes and whatnot. How are people on here so dense! It is not hard to live in a small space. Ever lived in a studio??!
You asked for suggestions, got them and then gave nasty responses to the serious suggestions. This is not a small living space website, it is a SAILING website. A Catalina 27 is a very small boat to live on if you expect to have things ship shape and be able to sail at a moment's notice. And yes a few days is very little time to get ready for this. Also a 27 foot sailboat is a LOT smaller than a studio. Some small boats actually have a lot of built in storage and are designed to be lived on for long term out cruising, such as the Albin Vega 27 and the Flicka 20 foot sailboats. The Catalina 27 does not have much built in storage.

Besides moving aboard, I hope to soon be building a micro house, one about 100 square feet in size. So I have given this small place living a lot of thought. Now if the Catalina is the only option you have then you have to make it work, but it would not be my first choice of boats to live on. I am sure it can be done, but it will be tough.

You can use plastic bins for storage in the quarter births. They won't be pretty, but you might be able to move them around to find stuff.

Are you aware of the issues with condensation and general wetness on a boat? Especially in colder damp weather. Yes people live aboard boats in Alaska and Mane but they take big efforts to heat without adding moisture. Many use dehumidifiers full time or suffer from mold and mildew issues.

Keep in mind the boat is constantly moving even at a dock. If you don't properly secure clothing an other things correctly you will experience chafe. If you just hang clothes in a locker, don't be surprised if you pull out a nice shirt for work and find it has holes where it rubbed against a bolt head in the side of the locker.

The way you asked the question does not make it sound like you are really prepared to do this. I hope I am wrong. I have spent a few years doing research, but I don't have to do it, I am choosing to do it. I have others in my life that I have to accommodate (children) so I can't just jump in with out being prepared.

#11 ·
sashlyk,

You asked and were provided with some opinions. Even if you didn't get the answers you expected, name calling is totally unwarranted, not cool and against forum rules.

#14 ·
I would think that one of the top priorities in moving aboard a C27 would be to maximize the use of the cockpit area for additional living space from below. An awning or full Bimini would do the trick. Living in the Bay area could present a challange to having warm and cozy evenings aboard the boat but it could be done.
A small space heater (emphasis on small) will keep you warm and dry at night when the fog rolls in.
Storage under the V berth is a great place for those items that are a bit larger and don't need to access frequently.
On the C27 I would make use of the Quarterberth as an area to put bins of ready accessable items (like a shoe rack)
The C27 has a nice folding table in the salon to put out of your way while down below.
Make certain you have a good laptop to surf and stream your movies. Personally I would not even consider a TV onboard.
Have fun and let us know how you come out!:cool:

Reactions: guitarguy56
#21 ·
If everyone here is so dense...maybe the OP should have figured that out before posting, and asked the question of a different audience.

Or mentioned decorative storage up front. I would have called that obvious, you go to doilies-r-us and buy a big box of marine grade doilies to place on all the furniture.

#25 ·
What version of the C27 do you have? (Standard, “Café” galley table, inboard, outboard) Knowing what you have will help us help you. Can you provide pictures? What were you thinking of doing – converting a settee or berth into cabinetry/shelving? As you know, Ikea is in Emeryville, so you most likely will want to start looking there. I have custom shelving in my boat and a couple of friends had custom cabinetry installed but those modifications are probably well outside your budget. Your boat only has less than a hundred square feet of usable “living” space which is a tenth of your old studio apartment. And, please try not to be harsh on me – although I’ve owned boats many years, my mother has assured me that she never dropped me on my head and standardized testing has indicated that I am above average in intelligence.

#28 ·
What version of the C27 do you have? (Standard, "Café" galley table, inboard, outboard) Knowing what you have will help us help you. Can you provide pictures? What were you thinking of doing - converting a settee or berth into cabinetry/shelving? As you know, Ikea is in Emeryville, so you most likely will want to start looking there. I have custom shelving in my boat and a couple of friends had custom cabinetry installed but those modifications are probably well outside your budget. Your boat only has less than a hundred square feet of usable "living" space which is a tenth of your old studio apartment. And, please try not to be harsh on me - although I've owned boats many years, my mother has assured me that she never dropped me on my head and standardized testing has indicated that I am above average in intelligence.
I am just thinking of building collapsible storage units, that also protect items from mold. I also, just need basic interior tips as far as the foam seating and the lights. I don't know what bulbs I need etc. Are you on the emeryville marina too?

#31 ·
Actually, that's not the day I bought her. She was a complete craphole that day. No cushions, mold-infested interior, no varnish, no cubby sliders, no bimini, no electrical, no functioning head, no functioning water, etc.

These are pictures of the "after", baby. So bask in the glow.

#30 · (Edited)
Sashlyk, You still haven’t given me enough information for me to help you. In addition to what I’ve already asked, please tell me the year of your boat and what kind of 120v electrical service you already have. Also, what kind lifestyle are you going for? Do you want to be a minimalist like Larry and Lin Pardy or are you looking for a more comfortable “dockside” lifestyle?

Mold – this is a serious issue especially going into the winter at Emeryville. Before you move aboard, strip everything out of the boat, including cushions. Then nuke it! Scrub everything, everywhere, bilges too and all those places that no one ever sees. Once clean, go over it again with a bleach solution to kill the spares. If you have mold in the bilges, the spores will travel into your living spaces before spring. After you “nuked” the boat, dry air circulation, heat and sun light will help keep mold at bay. The big thing is get warm, dry air circulating in both ends of the boat. Don’t over pack things in the quarter berth. We use an oversized milk crate type container back there. We also use a low output style dehumidifier in our aft stateroom. Our hanging lockers are all cedar lined. If you suspect mold in your cushion foam – replace it. You can buy replacement foam at an upholstery shop.

Comfortable dockside living is dependent upon what type of electrical service on the boat – both 120v and 12v. Emeryville has mostly 30 Amp service at the dock. You need to tell us what you have on the boat. 30 Amps is not a lot. For example, we cannot run the heater, microwave, coffee pot all at the same time without throwing a (5 Amp) breaker.

I am in Alameda, not Emeryville. Although, we occasionally sail over there to go to Trader Vics.

#32 ·
I was going to delete this thread but in between the OP's invectives the forum members provided some very useful information for anyone willing to listen.

In the meantime I'll keep an eye open and I'd appreciate anyone reporting posts that are over the top.

Reactions: davidpm
#81 ·
I was going to delete this thread but in between the OP's invectives the forum members provided some very useful information for anyone willing to listen.
I'm REALLY glad you didn't delete the thread; I just found it and have already gleaned a couple great tips for our first multi-day/night trip. Thanks, all!

Barry

#33 ·
Smack, really, so these are photos you’re using in the “for sale” ad? Where’s all your stuff? Where are all the decorative baskets, dollies, center pieces and other assorted bricker-brack? Don’t you allow Mrs Smack and the little Smacklings on board? Ever? I hesitate to show you photos of the interior of the fabulous Freya. MrsB can’t live without her centerpieces and dozens of throw pillows. But on a serious note to help out our OP, what kind of 120v service do you have? Do you have a 120v breaker panel and some outlets on your boat? My old C28 had them (and water heater too). However, that boat more closely resembled the C30 than a C27. I think a person living aboard a C27 is going to have to embrace a pretty minimalist life style.

#35 · (Edited)
Smack, really, so these are photos you're using in the "for sale" ad? Where's all your stuff? Where are all the decorative baskets, dollies, center pieces and other assorted bricker-brack? Don't you allow Mrs Smack and the little Smacklings on board? Ever? I hesitate to show you photos of the interior of the fabulous Freya. MrsB can't live without her centerpieces and dozens of throw pillows. But on a serious note to help out our OP, what kind of 120v service do you have? Do you have a 120v breaker panel and some outlets on your boat? My old C28 had them (and water heater too). However, that boat more closely resembled the C30 than a C27. I think a person living aboard a C27 is going to have to embrace a pretty minimalist life style.
Those are the real deal baby.

Smackmomma and the Smacklings bring all kinds of crap aboard for our weekenders. But they remove every piece of it from every inch of the Smacktanic when we leave. They call is "despotism"...I call it "pride of ownership".

I'm with you though...I could live aboard my boat. But no way in hell I would. It's the size of a Federal Prison cell, poorly insulated, an insatiable tramp for moisture and mold, no storage space, too loud, too hot/cold, etc. It's a small camping trailer for crying out loud! You don't have to just embrace a Spartan lifestyle. You have to hump its leg!

I prefer a spacious home with a pool. That's just how I roll. It's not for everyone.

As for the 120v stuff, sassy, you need to listen to GB. It's a big deal.

#34 ·
I will try to find the e-mail address of a couple we meet in Florida that live aboard their C-27 with 2 dogs and a cat and find it comfortable. I know they had money for a bigger boat but prefered the C-27. My old Chrysler C-26 had about as much room as the 32 im living aboard now.

#37 · (Edited)
Right On!!!!!!! Boat squatting is for throwback to '68 protohippy dropouts floating around the Keys with cutoff shorts , Peace Sign t-shirts and a Bong glued to the side of the instrument pod.

Forget about IT.!!!!!!!! Exmafia types on Witness Protection cruising from one Crab Shack to Another in the Chesapeake with his Goomba with giant hair and a Gold Chain heavy enough to marry off 16 Indian virgins.

Some guy living out of his car and a 30 foot beat up half paid for boat wishing he had enough cash to go to the bar twice a week while his wife gets most of his paycheck to go to dinner with the divorce lawyer.

These people live on BOATS.

And Smack if they leave stuff laying around you can always give em a smack or smack em in the head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.