Old 10-02-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Optimal propulsion system

OId Volvo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2012

benjamen is on a distinguished road

How feasible would it be to use an electic engine and batteries charged by solar cells? If your not using the motor that often it may have time to solar charge back to full between uses.
Old 10-04-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen View Post
How feasible would it be to use an electic engine and batteries charged by solar cells? If your not using the motor that often it may have time to solar charge back to full between uses.
Their is a very active electric yachts yahoo forum where this has been discussed a great deal.

The consensus is that for most boats, even in light usage you would not have the room to fit enough panels to make that work.

Panels are used often to supply led lighting and to top off, the last 10 percent, charge all the time.
There was a showcase boat however recently that looked like an aircraft carrier, power only, that used only solar. It was a several million dollar experiment however.
Old 10-06-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

What if you put a motor well in take out the desial. put a motor well in and use a 15hp or 20-25hp 4 stroke plenty of power and if it's in a well you won't hear it at all and will be good on gas, no noise. and will still keep the look of a inboard.
Old 10-06-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

There was an good article in Good Old Boat not to long ago about a guy from Maine that that did this very thing. I believe it cost him around 2K to do this. He only putted out of the harbor so he recharged the batteries during the week w/ a small solar panel. I think that any long range "motoring" would be impractical using electric. You'd have no juice left to power up the blender

The generator thing, what's up with that? If you're going to buy a generator to recharge the batteries, might as well just upgrade the motor & call it a day. Even the DC generators cost around 7K.

For reasons that escape me, I always thought sail was the "optimal propulsion system"
Old 10-07-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
The generator thing, what's up with that? If you're going to buy a generator to recharge the batteries, might as well just upgrade the motor & call it a day. Even the DC generators cost around 7K.
In case you missed reading the earlier posts, the biggest advantage (and one well worth the extra $$$ and effort) is that you can put the diesel generator anywhere you like - it doesn't have to be in the stern of the boat and in line with the prop.

Quote:
For reasons that escape me, I always thought sail was the "optimal propulsion system"
I don't think anyone here would disagree..
Old 10-07-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

David,

Your problem is a solved one. Up until now there were basically a bunch of startup electrical propulsion companies and there were DIY versions using floor waxer motors or golf cart motors (and batteries).

Now there is a mature looking system that has been picked up by Beta marine and Yanmar. I've emailed the designer of the engine/generator part and I've spoken with a salesman at Beta and the system seems really good.

Without getting into the whole diesel-vs-electric debate there are defiantly some good reasons to have a hybrid on a sailboat. Motor sailing is the main reason. You can be sailing along at 3 knots and with a silent push of the throttle you can now be going 5-6 knots and with very little amp hour expense. Personally, if I had the coin, I'd have one of these on my boat right now.

6 months ago when I contacted Beta and the motor designer you could get a brand new beta with the hybrid electric motor all set to go but Yanmar was not quite ready to ship. The electric motor could be bought by itself, or with a transmission, ready to mate to your existing engine (Volvo) shipped from the UK. I can dig up the prices and info if you like.

One nice thing about this engine is that you could also run the diesel engine without turning the prop, and it would turn the electric motor, creating a 10KW genset. So you had the option of running the diesel engine as you normally would for propulsion, running the diesel engine without turnint the prop and getting 10kw, turning the prop and using reserve HP to make electricity (up to 10kw) at the same time, or using the electric motor without the diesel engine as an electric drive. IT also had some nice features like an ability to sense when you were giving your engine near full throttle and it would automaticlally cut out the electric generator component to make sure you got full HP.

Here is the link:
Seagoing Hybrids - Hybrid Electric Marine Propulsion
For some reason the betamarine hybrid links are down today. Google shows them as an active link but it's not working today.

MedSailor
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
In case you missed reading the earlier posts, the biggest advantage (and one well worth the extra $$$ and effort) is that you can put the diesel generator anywhere you like - it doesn't have to be in the stern of the boat and in line with the prop.
I cruised thru the thread. To have a propulsion system that doesn't make any noise is one thing. To go that route & then buy a diesel generator to recharge the batteries.....

Maybe it's just me but I have trouble wrapping my head around that one.
Old 10-08-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I cruised thru the thread. To have a propulsion system that doesn't make any noise is one thing. To go that route & then buy a diesel generator to recharge the batteries.....

Maybe it's just me but I have trouble wrapping my head around that one.
The idea is basically that you can propel at any time silently and you can later choose the time and place to make your noise.

I don't do a lot of motor-sailing because for me, once I fire up the (very loud) Perkins diesel, I figure I may as well go 6knots with it. The diesel likes the load and is most efficient on fuel at 80% of hull speed so when the sailing gets slow I take it all down and fire up the diesel.

If I had electric I could take 3knots of sailing speed and increase it silently to 5 or 6 knots without having to start up the motor, without the noise, without waiting for it to warm up, without disturbing the crew below etc etc. Later I could run the diesel to top up the batteries. In fact, the hour of maneuvering into the anchorage and setting the anchor would go a long way towards the amps used in increasing your speed under sail.

It's really not an efficiency thing, it's a peace and quiet thing and about enhancing your ability to sail. After all, if I wanted efficiency instead of peace and quiet out on the water I would have a power boat, or take the ferry.... Sailing itself is not efficient by cost, time, or any other measure....

Does that help?

MedSailor
Classic30, davidpm and Bob142 like this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 10-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Does that help? MedSailor
It does explain the thought process/reasoning behind it Med, thank you.

If it was time to repower & going electric was a viable option, I get that.

Coming from the power boat world, I never understood that whole motorsailing thing anyway. It kind of negates the whole reason for having a sailboat. But that's OK, it just knot for me