SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   documentation? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/92088-documentation.html)

sawingknots 09-14-2012 06:09 AM

documentation?

come november I'm taking my boat back down to atleast the gulf,if I decide to go to central america or the caribean will i need to document my boat? If so how complicated is the uscg documentation process. thanks

wouldrathersail 09-14-2012 06:50 AM

Google can be your friend :-)

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp

misfits 09-14-2012 06:52 AM

Re: documentation?

Documenting a boat is pretty straight forward, is a one time fee, around 150 bucks.
You have to renew it yearly, no fee involved. A boat needs to have a "volume" of 5 tons, the formula is on the CG documentation web site.

I believe a boat that's documented makes the entry process to a foreign port alot less painful.

eherlihy 09-14-2012 08:17 AM

Also; the USCG Documentation center is WAY backed up. If you want to have it documented by November, you should have sent your paperwork in around June (not kidding). It takes them 4-5 months to transfer the documentation of a vessel that has already been documented.

sailingfool 09-14-2012 08:26 AM

If you are renewing/re-establishing documentation on a boat previously documented, the paperwork should be relatively straight forward. If the boat has never been documented, it will be far more difficult, as you need to build a certified chain of ownership back to the builder, and have some build paperwwork...

denverd0n 09-14-2012 09:26 AM

I'm told that documentation makes entry into some foreign ports a little easier. My understanding, though, is that all of the countries in the Caribbean basin are pretty familiar with U.S. state registration of boats, and that (in this area, anyway) it really doesn't matter much whether your boat is documented or state registered.

My only personal experience with this is sailing a boat registered in Florida, and not documented, to the Bahamas. Clearing in was quick and easy, and they seemed quite familiar with the state registration papers that I had.

nickmerc 09-14-2012 10:01 AM

Before I decided to sell my boat I was planning on documenting it. I looked at the link above and had a question so I called the help line. For an original documentation they did not require a chain of ownership back to the builder since I have a current state title. I think all you need is three forms, your payment, and some time to wait for it to get processed. It was really easy to fill the forms out. Don't know how long the wait is for it to be processed.

TQA 09-14-2012 01:41 PM

Some countries will refuse entry to state documented boats. Martinique [ France ] is one.

sailingfool 09-14-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickmerc (Post 922123)
... For an original documentation they did not require a chain of ownership back to the builder since I have a current state title. ....

maybe, maybe not, but here's what the USCG has to say at;
USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page

"In the case of a previously owned vessel, the applicant must present bills of sale, or other evidence showing transfer of the vessel from the person who last documented, titled, or registered the vessel, or to whom the vessel was transferred on a Builder's Certification or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin."

Shipislandpirate 09-15-2012 08:55 PM

Is there a web site where I can get info on the owner of a vessel with only the boat name, make, model and state of registration?

Shipislandpirate