SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Back-up motors (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/92188-back-up-motors.html)

ambitiousbutrubbish 09-17-2012 07:52 PM

Back-up motors

I'm planning a couple week sailing trip around the Caribbean next summer in a '45 Dufour. We're island hopping and in order to maximize time at our destination I was considering adding an outboard motor both as a back up and to squeeze a few more knots out when we don't have the sails up. Has anyone attempted this, or have a suggestion for something else I could do?

Geoff54 09-17-2012 08:04 PM

Re: Back-up motors

What’s wrong with the inboard auxiliary engine? Why do you think that an outboard would make it go faster? Why would a boat owner let you mess with his/her boat. Why would you bother for a couple of weeks?

Faster 09-17-2012 08:58 PM

This is a non starter... Geoff's on the money with his comments. There's no need, really.... further, island hopping in the Caribbean is rarely a 'light wind' situation. Much more likely you should be reefing and turning the engine off rather than trying to squeeze some debatable speed increase from an outboard that likely won't even have the prop in the water half the time.

The engine will likely get the boat up to hull speed.. there's no further gain to be realized with another few horsepower poorly applied.

flyingjib 09-17-2012 09:40 PM

Keep the main up and motor sail if there is not much wind. Your sails are your backup! :)

asdf38 09-17-2012 11:03 PM

Agree with others. How many sources of propulsion do you need? You have multiple sails and an engine already. It's a 45' boat, what difference are a few extra horsepower going to make?

Siamese 09-18-2012 12:40 AM

An outboard would be silly. Use oars.

Geoff54 09-18-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siamese (Post 923332)
An outboard would be silly. Use oars.

That's not very seaman like - you should skull with a single oar.

sww914 09-18-2012 01:46 AM

My boat will go 7.9 kts with 75 HP. With 150 HP it will go 8.2 or 8.3. With 300 HP it will go 8.9. Take a Valium and enjoy the beauty of those big white things pulling you along.

sawingknots 09-18-2012 08:22 AM

on my py26,when i'm cruising i always keep a little outboard mounted on a stern bracket with 5 gallons of gas,it causes no problems and i only start it occasionally,the inboard diesel is much more fuel efficiant and no extra power is needed however under any conditions or circumstance i like to know i have my a** covered!

eherlihy 09-18-2012 09:55 AM

Does this charter boat include a dinghy? Does it have a motor? If so, problem solved.

You could either lash the dinghy alongside and lock the OB so that it does not pivot and steer from the cockpit (although you will find that the boat tends to "pull" to one side), or you could tow the 45' (or did you really mean a circa 1945?) Dufor with the dink. If you choose the latter option, someone will have to be the tow boat skipper, and that person better take a waterproof handheld VHF to stay in touch with the mothership...

Personally, I would simply use the auxiliary if the SOG drops below 3 kts. Plan your trip around your ability to make 6 kts (assuming that you meant a 45' boat), and all will be good.