Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Our Medical Experiences in Mexico

nice to know my years as a critical care rn in the usa are so deeply appreciated.
there IS a problem in healthcare in usa--IFF you are allowed to have a rn who is trained in usa, you get a decent nurse. if you are the drawer of the short straw and have a foreign nurse as your caregiver, you are in deep stuff. sorry, but it is truth. usa has been recruiting rns from other nations for over 50 yrs as most of the usa trained are too snotty for bedside care. the pay was also horrifically low forever. however, the problems with usa healthcare these days, besides those poorly trained foreign nurses, is the government itelf--corruption in form of lobbies and insurance out of control and other systemic glitches are the cause of high er than god healthcare pricing and fees. go figger. there ye have the nutshell version.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

If you had to wait 8 months to see a doctor for that mole, and it was a melanoma, it's likely that you would not have been able to post the information above. Consider yourself very fortunate. I've had a couple relatives and a few close friends die from melanomas - it's not pretty.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 09-29-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
If you had to wait 8 months to see a doctor for that mole, and it was a melanoma, it's likely that you would not have been able to post the information above. Consider yourself very fortunate. I've had a couple relatives and a few close friends die from melanomas - it's not pretty.

Good Luck,

Gary
Not sure where you got the 8 months from, it was two weeks as I indicated in my original post. The point I was trying to make was that contary to the propaganda from the insurance industry in the USA, Canadians do not have to wait, we do have choices for doctors, we don't need to be part of any darn HOA, and most of all, we don't have to worry about getting cut off for pre-existing conditions.
Trekka and eherlihy like this.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 09-29-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

More people immigrate to the US than nearly the next four countries combined. Overall, on average, we have something more attractive than anywhere else on the planet. Warts and all. Mexico didn't make the top 15. Canada, with their nationalized health care, made a good showing at about a quarter of the US. Seems to take more than nationalized health care.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-29-2012

tspooner is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear that you found a practioner who could (would) find an approach to better and more permanent results. You would think that in this electronic day of age the International Medical community could post and share symptons, diagnosis and treatments that show positive results in some library forum that could be accessed by other practioners. This would save extended suffering and costs to the patient.
Old 09-29-2012
Grumpy Cat

PAULCR1 is on a distinguished road

Had a medical situation in Cuenca, Ecuador where my wife needed surgery on her elbow. Went to the Drs. office, he said come back tomorrow and I'll have a surgeon here. We did and he did. He operated on her elbow, took about 30 minutes. It had started raining so after the surgery the Dr. drove us back to the home where we were staying. Cost of surgery & taxi service.....$70 and my wife is fine.
Old 09-29-2012
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Not sure where you got the 8 months from, it was two weeks as I indicated in my original post. The point I was trying to make was that contary to the propaganda from the insurance industry in the USA, Canadians do not have to wait, we do have choices for doctors, we don't need to be part of any darn HOA, and most of all, we don't have to worry about getting cut off for pre-existing conditions.
I don't get it.

We have Canadian friends. One works in health care. She has told us the propaganda. Her family is included.

Maybe she is from a different part of Canada.
Old 09-29-2012
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULCR1 View Post
Had a medical situation in Cuenca, Ecuador where my wife needed surgery on her elbow. Went to the Drs. office, he said come back tomorrow and I'll have a surgeon here. We did and he did. He operated on her elbow, took about 30 minutes. It had started raining so after the surgery the Dr. drove us back to the home where we were staying. Cost of surgery & taxi service.....$70 and my wife is fine.
What exactly was the surgery?

A mole or a fractured ulna?
Old 09-29-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by therapy23 View Post
I don't get it.

We have Canadian friends. One works in health care. She has told us the propaganda. Her family is included.

Maybe she is from a different part of Canada.
Are there waiting lists? You bet, especially for lifestyle induced problems like hip replacement and knee replacements. They are by far the result of being overwieght. I have no empathy for those that now need to go through some quality of life issues when they didn't think about it or did anything to reduce the risk.

Have a medical required procedure? You get taken care of, and now.

Have a pre-existing condition? Your insurance will never get cancelled.

The fact remains, Canada pays 1/3 less as a percentage of GDP on healthcare that the USA does, we live longer and our taxes are lower. I'll take our healthcare over the huge issues my friends in the States have any time.

When I hear that friends need to postpone doctor visits because of the expense of co-pays, when I hear that they do not have the choice of who to see because of HMO's, when I hear that they need to stay in a job they hate because of medical insurance that they would lose because of pre-existing conditions and when I hear that their premiums are in the hundreds and hundreds of dollars, I just wonder how, with all the other innovation that the people of America are famous for, how they can be so bamboozled by the health insurance industry.

I just don't get it.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 09-29-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

cupper, this is certainly merging into an off-topic discussion. If you are Canadian and like your system, you've made your point. Why beat on it. Do you have some axe to grind?

Just to keep you thinking. If pharma and med device manufacturers weren't making a fortune in the US, do you think cost would remain as low elsewhere, or would they try to make it up over seas. Good luck. I say we should level the playing field.
biology likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.