SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Maximizing efficiency under sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/92321-maximizing-efficiency-under-sail.html)

ambitiousbutrubbish 09-21-2012 10:37 AM

Maximizing efficiency under sail

I'm planning a trip in my '45 dufour classic from Miami to the bahamas, turks, dominican republic, Jamaica, caymans, and around cuba before returning stateside. I want to add some sort of additional sail to get the most speed possible without motoring. The boat is already fitted with a large jib, so an asymmetrical spinnaker (code 0) seems redundant to me, does anyone have a suggestion for a new sail that would allow us to us wind from a direction that was previously unusable?

Faster 09-21-2012 12:13 PM

Re: Maximizing efficiency under sail

If light airs are expected on that route you would see significant gains from an Asymmetrical lighter weight sail vs your large genoa. A true Asymm will probably be usable between 60 deg to 150 degrees apparent to good effect. Since you're doing a 'circle route' of sorts it seems to me that barring heavy tradewinds you'll get good use out of such a sail.

Setting up a conventional symmetrical spinnaker is hands down the better way to get downwind, but unless you've all the required gear already that's a lot to put together, and on a 45 footer it can take a few bodies to safely and effectively gybe the sail.

If you've got a decent 'white sail' inventory then adding a carefully selected Asymm would be my choice for an overall effective versatile sail. Unless I'm mistaken the so-called Code 0 sails are mainly light weight headsails for closer-to-the wind-work (similar to what we used to call drifters).

ambitiousbutrubbish 09-21-2012 12:37 PM

From what I can tell Florida to the Turks is more or less into the wind where the jib and main sail will be effective, and then with the wind at our backs for remainder. I've ruled out a symmetrical spinnaker because of the reasons you've listed above, and was thinking an asymmetrical, something like a 2A would be appropriate for our trip, especially the second half. Do you know where I can get a good, comprehensive list of asymmetrical sails?

jameswilson29 09-21-2012 12:46 PM

If you are o.k. with used, try eBay or Bacon's Sails in Annapolis.

TQA 09-22-2012 10:08 AM

I have made much of the trip you are talking about doing and IMHO if you are not comfortable flying a spi on a pole then the most useful sail you could have would be a code 0 on a furler. maybe with a short bowsprit to carry it forward of your genoa.

You need not mount it till you get to the DR though.

zz4gta 09-23-2012 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lets see if this attachment works.

A true Code 0 on a cruising boat is a waste. It's a huge sail, hard to trim, and without a masthead halyard and sprit you really don't get all the bene's from one.

An A2, like you said, is a better choice.

WDS123 09-23-2012 09:51 PM

A2,