Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Galley counter top material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBones View Post
Any pics? It sounds awfully industrial, but I work in a machine shop so there is more stainless laying about then you can shake a stick at, so it would be dang easy to just slap on top of the existing laminate(yellow yuck).
People viewing the round the world racing yachts said they also look very "Industrial." They look "industrial" because "Industrial" is what works, as opposed to "decorative," which has far more liabilities. Looking "Industrial' can also be interpreted as looking "Practical" or looking "Intelligent" or "Realistic" as opposed to looking "Pretentious."

Last edited by Brent Swain; 10-05-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i found over time since 1956, when i began noticing the counter tops in mommas house that formica is an inferior product from 1950s that equates with inavbility to cleanand keep clean and stains happen and do not come out and the dings and open sores made with pots and pans..ugly stuff. was made for cheap kitchens in tract homes and v=brought to boatdom by cheapest builders.
if ye dont believe it dings and comes apart and stains a lot more than other surfaces, then hit it a few times with a decent pot or pan or a baseball bat, lik emomma did when we bought our house in ny..she hit it to see if it stood up to her kids. it did not. mpmma had tiles placed by 1958. bought house in 1954. no tlong to last, methinks, for a large investment, one would think the surface would not be levittown quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-05-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
I have some pink Corina from remodeling the kitchen. If you want a hunk, pm me and
we will work something out. I think the problem with any of the thick counter top materials, Corian, granite, soapstone, ect is the additional work around the sink, faucet, icebox and stove as well as the fids. The stainless steel approach is practical as well as functional but a bit cold aesthetically IMHO.
Most of the synthetics like Corian can be worked with with normal wood working tools abet carbide bits. Routers make quick work of holes for faucets and sinks. Though they are available in different thicknesses. For a boater the epoxy glues should not be much different than working with fiberglass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i found over time since 1956, when i began noticing the counter tops in mommas house that formica is an inferior product from 1950s that equates with inavbility to cleanand keep clean and stains happen and do not come out and the dings and open sores made with pots and pans..ugly stuff. was made for cheap kitchens in tract homes and v=brought to boatdom by cheapest builders.
if ye dont believe it dings and comes apart and stains a lot more than other surfaces, then hit it a few times with a decent pot or pan or a baseball bat, lik emomma did when we bought our house in ny..she hit it to see if it stood up to her kids. it did not. mpmma had tiles placed by 1958. bought house in 1954. no tlong to last, methinks, for a large investment, one would think the surface would not be levittown quality.
Zee, I think in the last 50 years they may have improved it just a bit. I just put in an offer on a house though that was built in 1958 and has the original counter tops and they look new. Very ugly but look new. I don't think they had very much use as it is a two bedroom house likely no kids. Current owner was an elderly lady. But in my "newer" houses I have never had any modern laminate counter top get any significant damage except one guest that decided to cut a lime for drinks without a cutting board, but that was real abuse with an extremely sharp knife.
Old 10-05-2012

the formica that was used in this boat is crap--white, badly stained, and holes and dents and nicks. i like the idea of ss countertops--or granite, as i can stand the weight on this boat
btw--my boat is a 1976.
my ericson has butcher block formica--is a 1979--that stuff cracks and peels, but isnt as bad as this white stuff is.

Old 10-05-2012

s/v vamoose is on a distinguished road

We have corian and it seems to hold up well
Old 10-06-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post

People viewing the round the world racing yachts said they also look very "Industrial." They look "industrial" because "Industrial" is what works, as opposed to "decorative," which has far more liabilities. Looking "Industrial' can also be interpreted as looking "Practical" or looking "Intelligent" or "Realistic" as opposed to looking "Pretentious."
How about "warm" & "comfortable" instead of "cold" & "sterile".

I don't know anyone who would like their personal boat to look like a Volvo 70 down below. Even the Volvo racers are more than happy to get off those things. That sort of environment is something one puts up with as a tradeoff for racing performance, not a choice anyone welcomes as a preference.
msmith10 likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-06-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
How about "warm" & "comfortable" instead of "cold" & "sterile".

I don't know anyone who would like their personal boat to look like a Volvo 70 down below. Even the Volvo racers are more than happy to get off those things. That sort of environment is something one puts up with as a tradeoff for racing performance, not a choice anyone welcomes as a preference.
I have to admit I like Stainless Steel counters, perhaps from my restaurant background, makes me feel at home. For me it has a kind of 1950's feel to it.
Old 10-06-2012

ss counters would mean being able to chop/mince and slice stuff easily without a cutting board.....easy clean and no 5 yr change out..LOL

Old 10-06-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ss counters would mean being able to chop/mince and slice stuff easily without a cutting board.....easy clean and no 5 yr change out..LOL
Not really - they get badly scratched up and the knives get quickly dulled. Commercial kitchens have lots of cutting boards around.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 10-07-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I have butcher block counters in my house (Ikea). Generally we like them but you can't set anything ferrous on them or there will be a permanent stain. Regular tin can? Circular stain. US dime? Circular stain. Cast iron pot lid? Circular stain.

The above stains are actually the only ones we have since we've gotten careful with not putting ferrous metals on the counter. Problem is if you let someone else cook in your kitchen....

What I'd like to use when I re-do my boat's galley is use copper flashing over plywood. I've seen several restaurants that use copper for their table tops and I think it looks great! Seem to me that it would have all the utility of restaurant stainless but look much more ship-like and homey. Copper is antibacterial on contact as well....

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.